Question Building an Editing PC on a budget

Jan 30, 2020
Hi all,

So during this pandemic, my wife and I have had to make videos and edit them with Adobe Premiere Pro for our church.

Now, we both have ultrabooks that are decent, but their processors and integrated graphics are lacking. Sometimes our laptops freeze in Premiere and exporting videos takes quite some time even with medium bitrate for the H.264 videos.

I want to build an editing PC. I am well familiar with gaming builds, but unfamiliar with editing PC needs. Furthermore, I am on a strict budget with a baby on the way.

We received on old build that has an AMD Athlon II, an AMD 5770 graphics card, and 4GB of DDR3 RAM. Granted, the build is over ten years old and looking at Passmark for the 5770, it looks like our Intel 620 HD in our laptops are only 30% slower than the 5770. The Athlon and RAM are too dated as well. I understand that if I upgrade the processor, I'll also need a new motherboard to pair with it.

So here is my first question, for our PC build would it be beneficial to upgrade the processor and rely on the 5770? Would this be sufficient for Premiere and Publisher?

Second question, if I were to upgrade the processor and graphics card, could I get away with perhaps buying a processor that is 3-4 years old and pair it with a graphics card that is around 4-5 years old? If this was the best option, what processors and GPUs would you all recommend?

Third question, should we do something else?

For editing, we are using Adobe Premiere Pro and the wife would be using Publisher as well. For effects, we do simple editing with transitions. We do not do many effects.

Thanks for y'alls help!

Hi all,

So during this pandemic, my wife and I have had to make videos and edit them with Adobe Premiere Pro for our church.

Now, we both have ultrabooks that are decent, but their processors and integrated graphics are lacking. Sometimes our laptops freeze in Premiere and exporting videos takes quite some time even with medium bitrate for the H.264 videos.

I want to build an editing PC. I am well familiar with gaming builds, but unfamiliar with editing PC needs. Furthermore, I am on a strict budget with a baby on the way.

We received on old build that has an AMD Athlon II, an AMD 5770 graphics card, and 4GB of DDR3 RAM. Granted, the build is over ten years old and looking at Passmark for the 5770, it looks like our Intel 620 HD in our laptops are only 30% slower than the 5770. The Athlon and RAM are too dated as well. I understand that if I upgrade the processor, I'll also need a new motherboard to pair with it.

So here is my first question, for our PC build would it be beneficial to upgrade the processor and rely on the 5770? Would this be sufficient for Premiere and Publisher?

Second question, if I were to upgrade the processor and graphics card, could I get away with perhaps buying a processor that is 3-4 years old and pair it with a graphics card that is around 4-5 years old? If this was the best option, what processors and GPUs would you all recommend?

Third question, should we do something else?

For editing, we are using Adobe Premiere Pro and the wife would be using Publisher as well. For effects, we do simple editing with transitions. We do not do many effects.

Thanks for y'alls help!
There's a few ways I would approach this.

1.) Franken Computer: A build assembled with various parts, some old, maybe some new, in the hopes of an end result that works sufficiently to achieve the intended goal. This has to be done carefully to avoid compatibilty issues from mixing different generations of tech.

2.) Used workstation: Amazon has tons of these things. You can filter the results for the specs you need and in many cases one can be had for a few hundred dollars. Most have windows installed and come with some sort of warranty. They may have minor cosmetic damage to the case, much like a used car may have a few dings. You can throw a video card in one of these and be up and running. Usually, they are just the actual system tower and don't include peripherals (monitor/mouse/keyboard/speakers).

3.) New build: This is the costliest option but will likely yield the best result that will last the longest and use the newest technology.

So, before exploring any of these options, we need a budget and general location (country). You also need to determine minimum system specs for the software you want to use. Here's a link to help with that. If you're currently using laptops then I assume you need peripherals to go with it so the cost of those need to be considered also.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS