[SOLVED] Building art workstation, need advice

Nov 29, 2019
I want to put together an art station for my wife. I have zero experience with the Quadro lineup and I'm curious why I should aim for them vs an amd or nvidia "normal" gpu.

I have a a gtx 1080 that I'm wondering if it would be cable of filling the role. How would that limit her, if I used it instead? Is there a better option?

Any system advice is also welcome.

Solution
Unless your wife is doing some high-tier 3D rendering and/or modelling for businesses or game design then sure you'll need a quadro to render high quality textures. But if your wife is just doing basic artwork like 2D drawings, or even basic 3D blender designs, then that 1080 will be way more than enough for her.

What you'll need to really focus on is a decent monitor. You'll ideally want an IPS panel type monitor. Those provide the best colors and are ideal for photo manipulation/editing.

As for the rest of the build
CPU: intel i7 8700 or AMD Ryzen 5 2700X
Motherboard: x299 for intel or x470 for AMD
RAM: 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM (corsair is a cheap and well known brand)
Storage: 500GB Samsung EVO
power supply: Any 600W EVGA, Seasonic...
Unless your wife is doing some high-tier 3D rendering and/or modelling for businesses or game design then sure you'll need a quadro to render high quality textures. But if your wife is just doing basic artwork like 2D drawings, or even basic 3D blender designs, then that 1080 will be way more than enough for her.

What you'll need to really focus on is a decent monitor. You'll ideally want an IPS panel type monitor. Those provide the best colors and are ideal for photo manipulation/editing.

As for the rest of the build
CPU: intel i7 8700 or AMD Ryzen 5 2700X
Motherboard: x299 for intel or x470 for AMD
RAM: 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM (corsair is a cheap and well known brand)
Storage: 500GB Samsung EVO
power supply: Any 600W EVGA, Seasonic, Corsair, Antek, or Coolermaster Gold plus certified
Case: You can choose this on your own

Reactions: Bigshmaty
Solution