Building/buying a new PC

Lord Huntington

Honorable
Jan 24, 2017
Hello!

I have had the same used crappy HP office laptop for the last 6 years and I now finally have the money to get a better machine. Only problem is, I haven't got a single clue about computers and none of my friends really play on PC.

I'm going to keep it simple, mainly because I don't know anything about this stuff. I have 500 dollars. For this I want as much "power" as possible and by this I mean "game playing" power. I already have a windows key, so I only need hardware.

How do I get the most possible power for 500 dollars? Building or buying doesn't really matter, I just want as good of a machine I can get.

I would be really grateful for any help.

That is a rather small budget for PC gaming.
While far superior, it is very expensive.

A GTX 1060, which is basically what you'd need to play new games with decent settings, eats up half your budget :(

You could go with a GTX 1050 but it would be lacking from day one.

Really the budget isn't enough. You kind of need a decent i5, like the 6600k, with a good GPU, like the GTX 1060. A better estimate would be closer to $800.

Lord Huntington

Honorable
Jan 24, 2017

Sadly I do not have more money than this and even if I did I would need to spend it on more urgent matters. What would you recommend under 500 if you couldn't go over? It doesn't have to be top of the line.

Lord Huntington

Honorable
Jan 24, 2017

I can't seem to use that link. But you do think that building one would be the best alternative?

I messed it up.

Building is almost always better. The build used a i3-6100 and an RX480.

Lord Huntington

Honorable
Jan 24, 2017

Thanks for the much needed imput. So if I understand correctly, I will get more bang for my buck by making a i3-6100 and RX480 build rather than buying a complete PC from amazon for the same value?