Building costum 570$ Budget gaming rig/Sugestions

lg2flow

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
hello, im pretty new to costum built gaming rig.I wanna get something around 500-700$ that can play games on a 22 inch mid-to high settings on reasonable resolution (like far cry or crysis). What are some upgrades i can make with staying around my budget and do all of the specs seem okay, or am i getting ripped off badly.

The OS,programs is not included as i already have my own vista and Microsoft office etc.. (no pruducts just the plain system)

CASE: CoolerMaster Elite 310 Mid-Tower Case with See-Thur Side Panel

Neon Light Upgrade: 12in COLD CATHODE NEON LIGHT (BLUE COLOR)

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans

POWER SUPPLY Upgrade: 420 Watts Standard Case Power Supply

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 CPU @ 3.0GHz 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache 64-bit

COOLING FAN : INTEL LGA775 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK

MOTHERBOARD: MSI G31M3-L Intel G31 Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard

MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express

HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

Optical Drive: (Special Price) LG 22X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive (BLACK COLOR)

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

includes mouse keyboard and speakers round really low since i dont need them.

What are some upgrades i can make with staying on my budget and do all of the specs seem okay?

Solution
You've still got a respectable setup... I'd recommend a couple of upgrades, and some overclocking if you're up to the challenge.

The video card could do with a replacement. I recently upgraded from a 8800 GT to a GTX 275, and the increase in performance was amazing. What resolution do you play games at? If it's around 1920x1200, I'd grab a GTX 275 and if it's lower, maybe a GTX 260. Keep in mind these are BIG cards and will cover up the expansion slot below the one they are installed into.

Before I even start talking about overclocking, I don't know anything about your motherboard, so make sure that it has good overclocking options before you take some of this advice.

The power supply is junk, I'd replace it with a 80+ certified...

kufan64

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
You've still got a respectable setup... I'd recommend a couple of upgrades, and some overclocking if you're up to the challenge.

The video card could do with a replacement. I recently upgraded from a 8800 GT to a GTX 275, and the increase in performance was amazing. What resolution do you play games at? If it's around 1920x1200, I'd grab a GTX 275 and if it's lower, maybe a GTX 260. Keep in mind these are BIG cards and will cover up the expansion slot below the one they are installed into.

Before I even start talking about overclocking, I don't know anything about your motherboard, so make sure that it has good overclocking options before you take some of this advice.

The power supply is junk, I'd replace it with a 80+ certified brand name one before overclocking your system. I recommend a Corsair 750TX (also available in 650, and 850W versions)

Aftermarket CPU heatsinks are also considered a must for even mid-level overclocks. There are a multitude of good HSF's out there, I'd just get one that will fit your socket (LGA 775), gets positive reviews, and isn't terribly expensive. (maybe ~$40?)

Let me know what you think.

Solution

lg2flow

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

Hey thanks, i will go for the power supply and the CPU heatsink needs an upgrade too, im not going to go over the edge on the resolution when i play games. and spending a few more bucks wont hurt as il get better performance and an okay ventilated computer. thanks