[SOLVED] Building DIY in the Czech Republic: GPU will be 1660 super, but which manufacturer

Robomcd

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
There was another thread three months ago, but it ended and I have a bit more narrower question.
We are doing a budget DIY, with a AMD R5 3600x (sure) and an Asus ROG Strix B450-F motherboard (planned, open for discussion).

After feedback from this forum, we decided on the GTX 1660 Super as the currently best sweet spot. Two questions on that.
1) Which manufacturer to use. Narrowed it down to
Asus: the Dual GTX 1660s EVO ($ 280) and the TUF-3 1660s super gaming ($ 320).
Gigabyte: GTX Super ($ 300) and GTX Super Gaming ($ 320)
MSI: Ventus XS ($ 275) and the Super Gaming X ($ 330)

I checked a comparison card, the main difference is of each manufacturer the expensive cards have RGB. Big difference is also in display and hdmi ports. Since we will have one brand new PC and as second monitor we have an old onemwith DVI port, so we need a connector anyway, and probably we will never need more than two monitors. For the rest, it is marginal differences in max clock. No serious OC planned, so I expect that to be not a point.

Question now is, does it make any sense to pay the premium and is there a big difference between these cheaper versions or it is 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other?

Maybe more important, is it better to use an msi board with msi GPU or that does not matter anymore either? I have experience with the Asus MBs and like them, but if for this the combo Gygabit MB and Gygabit GPU is better, why not.

Solution
The GTX 1660 super is a rather power-efficient card. So as long as you avoid single fan models (EX Asus Phoenix), you should have a good experience.

I haven't heard good about the Ventus higher-end cards, but id suppose the 1660 super version is probably fine.

Still, id go with the cheapest Asus Dual.

Brand of card doesn't matter with the board. For example, you can use an MSI card with a gigabyte board and vice versa.

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019
It doesn't need to be in single manufacturer like msi or Asus or gigabyte except you're huge fan or doing some theme
It's worth it to go for premium option because they do binned the higher performance chip to premium product
Buy cheaper option still good though

The GTX 1660 super is a rather power-efficient card. So as long as you avoid single fan models (EX Asus Phoenix), you should have a good experience.

I haven't heard good about the Ventus higher-end cards, but id suppose the 1660 super version is probably fine.

Brand of card doesn't matter with the board. For example, you can use an MSI card with a gigabyte board and vice versa.

Solution

Zoel.fahmi

Upstanding
Dec 27, 2019

Is that true?
I thought single fan card like Palit have better fan quality and bigger heatsink

Robomcd

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
Normally, I would also go for the premium version, but this time it looks the premium cards do not deliver extra's in basics, just in RGB and max overclocking, both of which would be nice but we really do not need it; the PC Tower will be standing under the table and overclocking is not needed.

The chart also mentioned the Asus rog strix gtx 1660 super advanced, which looks interesting but I cannot get that one here. We used to order also from amazon.de, but thanks to the coronavirus, the Czech Koruna has taken a dive both against the Euro and the $$, now both already about 10% more expensive.

Robomcd

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2013
Looking at the Asus Dual or Gygabit Super Gaming are BIG. Length is 242 and 280 mm respectively.

Now the Asus B450 MB has dimensions 305x244. If I look at the MB, it looks like both graphic cards will have a problem, better said, they are too big for the MB. Looking at other boards, I see similar dimensions. Am I missing something???

Last edited: