[SOLVED] Building first FreeNAS system

Flashgo1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
Building my first FreeNAS system and wondering if the overall design looks good. I am not married to the cpu, mobo, or RAM. also it might be a while before i buy. I am just going for the general outline and see were my holes are at.

I have read multiple threads talking about going with an expansion card vs ports on the MOBO and I have come to the conclusion that with how many HDD i want, i need a HBA card.

All the external HHD's are cause you can get them good price and if you shuck them, they are just white labeled reds for about 100 cheaper per drive.

the 10gig nic are cause i don't want to wait around while transferring data from my computer backing up my families dvd's and bluerays and sending it to the server. the raw mkv files are 10x the size of a compressed video but future updates will cause all the compressed vids to not look right. so i will have them uncompressed on server and compress them if i need to for trips using mobile devises. other wise i will be sending the files over the network so the pc's can play them back in as high quality as the screen will allow.

I know the current switch is kinda small but i plan to get a bigger better one at a later date when the prices are more manageable. i live in trailer home so I don't have access to a basement or attic. I have to run the lines under the trailer so I planed on burying them under the house until the runs up to the different rooms. Hence the outdoor 6a.

I am not sure if they system will run off the nvme drive or if I should just use 2 usb sticks in raid.

I plan to get 2 of the UPS systems. 1 for the server and the other for my pc. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/d6JYq4

The case has 8 bays to start with and cooling should not be to big of an issue.

Parts I have gotten already. 4x 8TB externals. and the netgear switch.
My orginal plan. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NMLktg I still like the rack idea but cost is not in range to make it look good to me.
and yes i just relised i need more memory if i going to be running freenas

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor ($244.88 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($141.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower Case ($149.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
External Storage: Western Digital ELEMENTS 8 TB External Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
External Storage: Western Digital ELEMENTS 8 TB External Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
UPS: CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD UPS ($149.94 @ Amazon)
Custom: LSI 9300-8i PCI-Express 3.0 SATA / SAS 8-Port SAS3 12Gb/s HBA - Single
Custom: CableCreation Internal HD Mini SAS (SFF-8643 Host) - 4x SATA (Target) Cable,SFF-8643 to 4x SATA Cable, 0.5M, SFF-8643 for Controller, 4 Sata Connect to hard drive ($13.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: CableCreation Internal HD Mini SAS (SFF-8643 Host) - 4x SATA (Target) Cable,SFF-8643 to 4x SATA Cable, 0.5M, SFF-8643 for Controller, 4 Sata Connect to hard drive ($13.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: ASUS XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter PCI-E x4 Card with Single RJ-45 Port (XG-C100C) ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: ASUS XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter PCI-E x4 Card with Single RJ-45 Port (XG-C100C) ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro Gaming 8-port Switch | Control Ping & Latency | Gaming Dashboard | 2x 10G / Multi-Gig Uplinks (GS810EMX) ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Dripstone CAT6A 1000 feet STP Shielded Wire Double Jacket Outdoor Direct Burial Pure Copper Ethernet Cable CMXT Waterproof Wire Fluke Tested ($232.08 @ Amazon)
Custom: C2G 03858 16-Port Blank Keystone/Multimedia Patch Panel, Black ($15.09 @ Amazon)
Custom: LINKOMM (50 Pack RJ45 Cat6A Slim Profile Keystone Jack Punch Down Palm Holder, White ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2722.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-14 20:02 EST-0500

Solution
I have that Rosewill Chassis in my basement. It's fairly quiet but installing & removing drives can be a pain and I wish I got the hot-swappable version instead. Look at the internal images and keep in mind that drives get installed from the inside.

You're ok on Ram the general rule is 1GB per TB.

Don't bother trying for NVME boot, get two small Sata SSD's and Mirror them if you don't want to use USB falshdrives.
Use the NVME drive for your jails; it will help alot with disk activity.

popatim

Titan
I have that Rosewill Chassis in my basement. It's fairly quiet but installing & removing drives can be a pain and I wish I got the hot-swappable version instead. Look at the internal images and keep in mind that drives get installed from the inside.

You're ok on Ram the general rule is 1GB per TB.

Don't bother trying for NVME boot, get two small Sata SSD's and Mirror them if you don't want to use USB falshdrives.
Use the NVME drive for your jails; it will help alot with disk activity.

Solution

Flashgo1

Reputable
Mar 11, 2016
telling me about a different case and the ssd thing is not a solution. i was asking if i had any holes in the overal design.
i looked at that case but choose the tower cause i have to stand it up on my desk near my personal mid tower pc.

and thank you about using the ssds as a mirror boot drive. will defiantly look into that.

also. how much wattage can a single trailer home breaker take. a server and a monster pc with battery backups sounds like i might over draw it.