[SOLVED] Building first PC - are these parts good?

jkarateking

Honorable
Jun 5, 2014
Hello,

I am building my first pc and have put together a list of parts on pcpartpicker: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ngrQbh

I am wondering if those parts are good together and if there is anything that could be changed? I will be using the build for gaming, programming for uni, and also dabbling in/practicing game development in UE4.
I haven't added a video card as none of the new ones are available right now. But I would be planning on the rtx 3070 (though up for suggestions regarding this too)

Also it gives me the warning: 'Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions'. I can't quite find the details on whether this will be needed for this motherboard or not as it says 'some' not 'all'.

Thankyou for your time.

Solution
No, you will be fine, the amd b550 is ok. Since amd did not come out with a new series of boards, a b550 will do fine. Change the cooler if you want more performance, and try to get cl 16 ram.

Myst_8362

Prominent
Mar 26, 2021
No, you will be fine, the amd b550 is ok. Since amd did not come out with a new series of boards, a b550 will do fine. Change the cooler if you want more performance, and try to get cl 16 ram.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The CM MasterLiquid 240R is good, the 240L is the 'lite' version, so if corners could be cut to get the price down, they were.

Bios updates have been, continue to be, something of a requirement, have been for a very long time when cpus and motherboards change generations. Whether that's a necessity is unknown because the bios on the motherboard was the last viable bios at time of manufacture. If a motherboard was made prior to a cpu release, it's not going to contain any of the required cpu information. So pcpartpicker.com is nice enough to warn you in advance that if you purchase a motherboard it may or may not have been given the current bios, because pcpartpicker.com cannot guarantee it was made yesterday. You might receive an earlier dated motherboard.

Msi has bios flashback, so doesn't need a cpu to update the bios if necessary.