[SOLVED] Building first PC (multitasking, programming, gaming)

Apr 1, 2020
Hi everyone!
After many years of owning a laptop, I finally decided to build a pc. As it is my first experience, please bare with me. I'd like to build a pc that will make it easy to program (Python), game (CS, GTA, Witcher 3) with high/ultra settings @1080 or @1440 and 60+ FPS, work with huge excel files from time to time, multitask (read/work/watch/game/code at once). Currently I have 2 external monitors, I might buy one more (mobile monitor to plug directly to mobo, either Monitor 15.6' MSI MAG161V IPS FullHD or ASUS MB16AC). I am hoping for this build to last at least 5 years before it gets obsolete. Budget is $2.5k.

Currently I am thinking of buying:

1. CPU - Intel Core i7-10700K
  2. GPU - ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming 10GB
  3. Storage - Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 1TB
  4. RAM - HyperX Fury Black 16GB [1x16GB 3733MHz DDR4 CL19 XMP 1.35V DIMM] (#might buy two of these or 4x 8GB sticks instead, what would you recommend?)
  5. Power supply - Corsair HX1000 Series CP-9020139-EU
  6. Motherboard - MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
  7. Cooling - Noctua NH-D14
  8. Case - MSI MPG Sekira 100P (#difficult for me to choose, I need something simple (preferably black), with good ventilation and that supports all or most ports.
I am worried if all these parts (especially PSU, mobo, GPU, case) are compatible in terms of power/input/connectors/etc.
Any recommendations to make build better/more efficient/cheaper are welcome.

If I am forgetting something, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
Those look pretty good, but that power supply is from a pretty no-name company. I'd go for something like Corsair, Seasonic, etc. You may also want to consider running with an AMD CPU/motherboard, the new ones coming out outperform Intel in every way for cheaper. The 3080'll do you one hell of a lot more than 1080p60, you should get around 300-400fps in competitive games. That case is OK, but if you want good airflow in my opinion there's no substitute for the Cooler Master H500 with its dual 200mm fans.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Those look pretty good, but that power supply is from a pretty no-name company. I'd go for something like Corsair, Seasonic, etc. You may also want to consider running with an AMD CPU/motherboard, the new ones coming out outperform Intel in every way for cheaper. The 3080'll do you one hell of a lot more than 1080p60, you should get around 300-400fps in competitive games. That case is OK, but if you want good airflow in my opinion there's no substitute for the Cooler Master H500 with its dual 200mm fans.

Solution

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
I agree with you on the power supply, but AMD CPUs outperforming intel in every way for cheaper?! It is my pet peeve when people say one product is better than another and give no information on either product and just say it's better in every way. I would like to see some specs on that before you make such bold blanketing claims, for example, the i5 10400f is 30-40$ cheaper than the ryzen 5 3600 and is 8% faster.

Last edited:

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
I agree with you on the power supply, but AMD CPUs outperforming intel in every way for cheaper I would like to see some specs on that before you make such bold blanketing claims, for example, the i5 10400f is 30-40$ cheaper than the ryzen 5 3600 and is 8% faster.
I'm not talking about Ryzen 3000, next gen in November with the 5700X can hit 5GHz, with higher IPC, etc. In terms of raw performance for now, Intel is better, but even with 3rd gen it's better price to performance than Intel in most cases. There's a reason that the 3600 is the best selling CPU currently, not to mention the much cheaper motherboards and ability to upgrade to later CPUs without a mobo swap.

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
I'm not talking about Ryzen 3000, next gen in November with the 5700X can hit 5GHz, with higher IPC, etc. In terms of raw performance for now, Intel is better, but even with 3rd gen it's better price to performance than Intel in most cases. There's a reason that the 3600 is the best selling CPU currently, not to mention the much cheaper motherboards and ability to upgrade to later CPUs without a mobo swap.
Thank you for giving some information on why you think AMD is the better choice.

Apr 1, 2020
Thank you for the comment. Yeah, I heard about upcoming AMD cpu's. We'll see. Anyway, i am doing a research now, I was planning to order parts on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
I will consider PSU from some better brands.
I checked out Cooler Master MasterCase H500. It looks cool, but i see that it has only USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. If I am not mistaken, mobo I chose (MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI) is supporing 3.2 Gen 1/2 and USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C. So I'd like a case that could utilise those.

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
A great way to make sure all of your parts are compatible is to put them in pc part picker, it will tell you if there are any incompatibilities. (It will also tell you your estimated wattage, a good rule of thumb is to get a PSU that is 30% higher than that number. So if your estimated wattage is 500 then a 650watt PSU should be good.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Thank you for the comment. Yeah, I heard about upcoming AMD cpu's. We'll see. Anyway, i am doing a research now, I was planning to order parts on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
I will consider PSU from some better brands.
I checked out Cooler Master MasterCase H500. It looks cool, but i see that it has only USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. If I am not mistaken, mobo I chose (MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI) is supporing 3.2 Gen 1/2 and USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C. So I'd like a case that could utilise those.
I've seen and heard great things about the Lian-Li PC011 and its variants. I believe that one has front panel USB-C.

Apr 1, 2020
A great way to make sure all of your parts are compatible is to put them in pc part picker, it will tell you if there are any incompatibilities. (It will also tell you your estimated wattage, a good rule of thumb is to get a PSU that is 30% higher than that number. So if your estimated wattage is 500 then a 650watt PSU should be good.
Yeah, I am trying to do that. But I am currently based in Europe (i.e. Poland) and not all parts available locally are available on pc part picker. But thx anyway, good to know that others are using it too.
Regarding PSU, nVidia recommends 750W for RTX 3080 and I am currently planning to buy 1000-1200W PSU to be on a safe side (I am also planning to do some overclocking).

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
Yeah, I am trying to do that. But I am currently based in Europe (i.e. Poland) and not all parts available locally are available on pc part picker. But thx anyway, good to know that others are using it too.
Regarding PSU, nVidia recommends 750W for RTX 3080 and I am currently planning to buy 1000-1200W PSU to be on a safe side (I am also planning to do some overclocking).
It's great to be on the safe side but unless you are adding more voltage (which can destroy your hardware and should be left to veteran overclockers) you probably don't need that crazy a PSU, it won't hurt your pc parts just your wallet.

Apr 1, 2020
In the top right corner of the pcpartpicker website you can pick a country, including Poland.
Yeah, I saw it but it didn't help, few products are still not listed there. Anyway, I am going to replace PSU with Corsair HX Platinum 1000 df. It is "smaller" than previous one and seems like it is compatible with the mobo I chose (at least pc part picker is fine with it and doesn't show any incompatibilities).

Apr 1, 2020
It's great to be on the safe side but unless you are adding more voltage (which can destroy your hardware and should be left to veteran overclockers) you probably don't need that crazy a PSU, it won't hurt your pc parts just your wallet.
Thx. I think I will go with Corsair HX Platinum 1000W. I hope it is fully compatible (at least pc part picker says so).