Building first PC

Speknek

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Hi,

I'm new to building PC's, but I've been looking around and I came up with the following components. The PC will primarily be used for extensive workbooks in Excel, programming and watching videos. I plan on using two monitors. I have a couple of main questions:

- Should I add a graphics card to watch videos? Or will the one built in to the motherboard do the job well enough?
- Will this set-up meet the tasks it will have to handle?
- Will I have enough processing power? Should I add more RAM?
- Can my goal be attained cheaper?
- Are any of the components under- or overpowered compared to the rest?

Processor: Intel i5 6600 (€240, roughly $264)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 (€130, roughly $143)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR-2133 Memory (€50, roughly $55)
Power supply: Be Quiet! System Power 7 300W (€32, roughly $35)
SSD: Samsung 2.5 Inch Internal MZ 75E250GB (€70, roughly $77)
Case: MS Tech CA 0280 Frozen Longhorn (€50, roughly $55)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Solution
*For the uses you mentioned the integrated graphics will be more than enough.
*That processor will be great, I doubt you would see much improvement from upgrading to a higher tier.
*8gb is in my opinion the perfect amount of ram right now, except you have DDR3 memory, you need DDR4.
*You could probably save a little cash by getting an i5 a few generations old, but I think it would be a waste. This build will last you longer into the future.
*I think the components you chose will work well together, except the memory, you need DDR4

rujoesmith

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
*For the uses you mentioned the integrated graphics will be more than enough.
*That processor will be great, I doubt you would see much improvement from upgrading to a higher tier.
*8gb is in my opinion the perfect amount of ram right now, except you have DDR3 memory, you need DDR4.
*You could probably save a little cash by getting an i5 a few generations old, but I think it would be a waste. This build will last you longer into the future.
*I think the components you chose will work well together, except the memory, you need DDR4

Solution