building for a friend

Skorpovita

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014
hi everyone
i'm gonna build a pc for a friend and wanted to hear you guys to check out my configuration and see what you think about it.
i'ma use the reddit format hope that's ok :)

What is your intended use for this build?
only gaming and some video watching he got a 4k tv too so maybe could be cool if it's possible to watch some film in 4k. but not gaming in 4k for gaming we went for a 1080p but with higher performance in fps. that's why the monitor is 144hz and 1ms.

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?
budget was to not exceed 2000euros.

In what country are you purchasing your parts?
italy. and only the big online store starting with A that was an online store in many countries in europe. we actually bought the monitor for example in the UK website of this store as it was with shipping cheaper.

Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please). The build i had in mind is this one

• CPU i7 6700k
    Cooler CM Hyper212evo or eventually if the price is similar the noctua DH14
    MOBO Asus z170 gaming aura
    RAM 2x8GB for 16gb in total.2133mhz either Kingston HyperX Fury or Corsair Vengeance. whatever is cheaper..but i'd go for kingston thanks to their support
    SSD samsung 850 Evo
    HDD any 1TB 7200rpm. the cheapest at the moment is WD Caviar Blue
    GPU Nvidia Gtx1070 probably Msi. but if Gigabyte is way cheaper we'd go for it
    Case Zalman Z11 Neo...i know there are few better ones but my friend wants something cool and not just a black box.
    PSU something 80+ gold or plat with at least 750W. probably XFX TS 750W 80+ Gold
    Monitor AOC G2770PF. 27'' 144hz 1ms
    Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum
    Keyboard TBA. from whatever we've left of the budget. something mechanical either g910 or blackwidow chroma or whatever

i've put an example on pcpartpicker https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/Ns6YRG
the prices of the items while i'm posting are high.
we think we can get them cheaper with daily deals or waiting into january when the price's gonna drop.

im not completely sure about the i7 6700k. we still going for an i7 but not sure if skylake is worth now that kabylake is coming out in january. anyway we can't spend more so we'd prolly just check out the situation in january.

so in the end..
what do you think about this components? and what would you change?
skylake still worth after kabylake coming out? or shall i check amd zen too and change everything completely?

thanks in advice whoever takes his time to read and answer this :) and happy holiday and merry christmas everyone

Solution
If you absolutely can't wait, you can go with that build, it's absolutely great.
I'd personally drop the 6700K for a 6700 and that cooler, try to save up a bit in other pieces and grab a GTX 1080.

Although i'd recommend waiting for AMD Ryzen and Kaby Lake, there may be some price drops in older parts or the newer one can be much better for the same price, we never know.

So that's pretty much it, get it now and enjoy everything or wait a few more weeks/months and try to get the last inch of price/performance.

manddy123

Admirable
If you absolutely can't wait, you can go with that build, it's absolutely great.
I'd personally drop the 6700K for a 6700 and that cooler, try to save up a bit in other pieces and grab a GTX 1080.

Although i'd recommend waiting for AMD Ryzen and Kaby Lake, there may be some price drops in older parts or the newer one can be much better for the same price, we never know.

So that's pretty much it, get it now and enjoy everything or wait a few more weeks/months and try to get the last inch of price/performance.

Solution

Skorpovita

Reputable
Aug 8, 2014

we're gonna wait january anyway..from what i read that's when kaby lake should be release so that's for sure a bonus :)
i was wondering if skylake would still be a great option after the new gen comes out or if kaby lake should be a must after it gets released.

i'm definitely checking out every gtx 1080 too..atm they're way to expensive. 1070 is 450€ while 1080 750€. too much to reach it..but if there's an offer and we managed to save enough when the other prices drops..sure. that's gonna be a real must :)