Build Advice Building gaming PC with Intel i5-11400F - Please comment on spec

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 28, 2021
Good evening,

Im hoping to self build gaming pc with the following spec as below, been waiting for prices to drop but obviously went other way. Please can I ask you to comment on selected hardware as its been long time since I build my last pc. If anything is choosen incorrectly please state why it shouldnt be like that and propose equivalent - this will help me tidy up my knowledge.

Many thanks

Spec on the list so far:

1. CPU: Intel i5-11400F

2. CPU Cooler: Not sure which one to choose - please suggest. Not sure if the coolers comes with pre-applied thermal paste already or not.

3. Motherboard: Z590 UD AC Gigabyte

4. Case: I have selected 3 cases so far but cannot decide which one to choose (Corsair 275R Airflow / Corsair 4000D Airflow / Be Quiet 500DX )

5. PSU: I have selected 2 units, cannot decide which one to take: (Corsair TX650M or RM650)

6. Memory: Crucial Ballistix Patriot Viper DDR4 2x 8GB 3600 (CL16 or CL17 - not sure which one to pick)

7. Graphic Card: Due to shortage and extremely high prices, Im not sure which one to pick. GTX 1660 Super is quite old and expensive now. Please advise what to do with graphic card.

8. Monitor: Can you please propose high Hz monitor for gaming please. Probably size from 24 inches up.

I will be using this PC for gaming, mainly Fortnite and Rocket League. If I missed anything else please let me know.

Many thanks

Sep 28, 2021
Great stuff. I have picked this Cool Master Hyper 212 RGF at the end. Hopefully it won’t be to bright. The only other RGB Element inside this pc will be Corsair memory.

While looking for this GTX 3060 card on supplier website (KustomPC.co.uk) I have noticed card in similar price.

Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Gaming PRO OC 8GB Graphics Card

This card is £486 at the moment.

Now this raise me a question. Is GTX 3060 (12 GB) card is better or RX 6600 XT (8GB) ?

Should I stay with first choice GTX 3060 ?

Great stuff. I have picked this Cool Master Hyper 212 RGF at the end. Hopefully it won’t be to bright. The only other RGB Element inside this pc will be Corsair memory.

While looking for this GTX 3060 card on supplier website (KustomPC.co.uk) I have noticed card in similar price.

Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Gaming PRO OC 8GB Graphics Card

This card is £486 at the moment.

Now this raise me a question. Is GTX 3060 (12 GB) card is better or RX 6600 XT (8GB) ?

Should I stay with first choice GTX 3060 ?

They are within 5-10% of each other is most games with the AMD card being the overall slightly faster card. If you want DLSS and potentially try ray tracing then go Nvidia. If you want to try FSR and have a slightly faster card go AMD.

Sep 28, 2021
Thank you.
I have watched some videos on YouTube and yes difference between these two are marginal. On Fortnite for example RTX 3060 provides slightly better FPS so I think I will go with this card.

Reactions: helper800
Sep 28, 2021
Hello Everyone,

Parts arrived yesterday, today we have managed to build this pc.
Installed Windows 10 Pro (I was debating if I should just go with Home but choosed this one as we use RDP at home).

Then installed driverfrom cd which arrived with motherboard.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask further questions regarding setup on this topic now (perhaps I should create new one).

But:

1. should I also update update Bios firmware straight away

2 We have left default setting on Bios, not sure if I need to tweak anything there ?

3. My SSD drive is ITB with one patricion at the moment. How to organise this drive and divide them for few partitions. How big should be C system drive ?
I will keep separate partition for installation files, such as games

Many thanks

InvalidError

Titan
1. should I also update update Bios firmware straight away
When I build a new PC:
1- assemble everything that can be assembled before putting stuff inside the case
2- check that the 'breadboarded' build boots
3- update BIOS
4- load DIMM profile and do whatever tweaks you want to do, such as lower the DRAM voltage from 1.35V (typical for 3200+MT/s DIMMs) down to 1.2V (standard for DDR4)
5- run memtest86+ for several hours
6- put everything inside the case and proceed with OS install if memtest86+ comes clean

That way, if anything happens to the motherboard during BIOS update, at least it is at its most accessible and you still have the 14-45 days store return.

Sep 28, 2021
Thank you. It seems that I have skipped some steps already.

OS was already been installed all drivers updated.

Is it safe to update BIOS now to the latest version ? I don’t mind to reinstalling OS again if required and start again.

My current Bios Version is F2 dated for 21st January 2021.

Also the memtest should it be memtest64 that I need to run - above in post is mentioned memtest86

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
You should be able to update the BIOS at any time without having to re-install the OS. I updated the BIOS on mine as soon as I got it, then again about a month ago when the BIOS got an update to fix compatibility issues with Windows 11's TPM2.0 check.

There are two versions of memtest86:
  • memtest86+, the original open-source tool which can be tricky to get to work on some motherboards
  • memtest86 by PassMark with a fancy UI which you need to buy to unlock all options and has better boot compatibility

The free PassMark version is good enough for most cases, though I prefer 86+'s plain UI, faster loading time and automatic start with default options.

Reactions: helper800
You should be able to update the BIOS at any time without having to re-install the OS. I updated the BIOS on mine as soon as I got it, then again about a month ago when the BIOS got an update to fix compatibility issues with Windows 11's TPM2.0 check.

There are two versions of memtest86:
  • memtest86+, the original open-source tool which can be tricky to get to work on some motherboards
  • memtest86 by PassMark with a fancy UI which you need to buy to unlock all options and has better boot compatibility
The free PassMark version is good enough for most cases, though I prefer 86+'s plain UI, faster loading time and automatic start with default options.
He can also use the win10 memorytest as well no? 8 passes with extended testing should be comprehensive enough to catch most bad sticks.

Sep 28, 2021
I have just updated BIOs to the latest version - F7 (I had F2 on board out of the box).

I’m looking at the BIOS settings now and checking some parameters related to memory.
  • Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) is currently Disabled
  • System Memory Multiplier is set to AUTO (memory working only at 2133)
Should XMP be switched on with my setup ? Memory is Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz. On a box it say “Intel XMP Certified “

Also regarding DRAM Voltage , this is also set to Auto , system selected 1.2V for the memory. Should I set it up voltage manual to 1.2V rather then living it in Auto ?

I don't remember using Windows' memory test before and prefer doing hardware tests before the OS install.
Ahh, well I only suggested it because he already installed the OS. I typically don't bother testing RAM before I put Windows on anymore, I test afterwards if I find issues with the system because the odds you get bad sticks of RAM vs not and the downtime for the build adds a few hours to the build.

Reactions: Hellfire13
Sep 28, 2021
What you guys think about this Settings in BIOS:

I have just updated BIOs to the latest version - F7 (I had F2 on board out of the box).

I’m looking at the BIOS settings now and checking some parameters related to memory.
  • Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) is currently Disabled
  • System Memory Multiplier is set to AUTO (memory working only at 2133)
Should XMP be switched on with my setup ? Memory is Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz. On a box it say “Intel XMP Certified “

Also regarding DRAM Voltage , this is also set to Auto , system selected 1.2V for the memory. Should I set it up voltage manual to 1.2V rather then living it in Auto ?

InvalidError

Titan

I'd enable XMP to load the memory's XMP timings, override the DRAM voltage to drop it down to 1.2V or less, then re-rum memtest86(+) for a few hours to make reasonably sure it still works fine at sub-XMP voltage.

I memtested my 32GB 3200-16-18-18-36/1.35V memory down to 1.16V before settling on 1.2V. Doesn't make much sense to shove 1.35V through a memory controller designed for 1.2V when the memory is already stable at less than 1.2V. Wasting less unnecessary power in the memory controller also leaves more thermal headroom available for boost clocks.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
I'd enable XMP to load the memory's XMP timings, override the DRAM voltage to drop it down to 1.2V or less, then re-rum memtest86(+) for a few hours to make reasonably sure it still works fine at sub-XMP voltage.

I memtested my 32GB 3200-16-18-18-36/1.35V memory down to 1.16V before settling on 1.2V. Doesn't make much sense to shove 1.35V through a memory controller designed for 1.2V when the memory is already stable at less than 1.2V. Wasting less unnecessary power in the memory controller also leaves more thermal headroom available for boost clocks.
hope i am ok to write on this thread

i havent changed my ram voltage, should i put my voltage down to 1.2? i am sure mine is running 1.35 too.