Building in japan?

jovervol

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hey all,

I'm going to be living in Japan for several years starting in August, and I'm keen on building a system to use over there. I'm spending about $1000, heavy on graphics and video editing.

I have a good idea of what parts I'd like, but I'm curious if anyone's had any experience building in Japan, and if there's anything to look out for (for example, buying a Japanese PSU because their outlets run on different voltage/frequency), whether certain parts should be purchased stateside before leaving, etc.

Any advice much appreciated; repayment in Pocky is possible...

TonCharr28

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Pocky? :sweat:

AFAIK, no considerations are neede when buying computer parts in Japan. However, I honestly don't know what the price points over there are, but I do suggest you shop for parts when you get there. It'll be much easier sending items back for replacement in case any of them fail.

Do you already have an idea of what parts you're getting?

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I would buy just about everything but the psu...thats to say im not sure if there outlets are different hz or something another....

And yes you can pay me in pocky....yum yum...iv always wanted a box *Licks lips*

And TonCharr28 you should google these things....

SDSUMarcus01

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

I've been living in Japan for a few years. LOL... but I'm moving back to the states at the end of June. I haven't actually built a system in Japan but I know a few people who have.

This article explains the power situation well:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2225.html

Basically, you're going to have a hard time finding sockets for 3 pin (grounded) plugs, but you can buy japanese power cords with a free ground wire and they SHOULD fit into your power supply but I'm not 100% sure. Anyways, most good quality power supplies should have zero problems in Japan but if you're REALLY worried about it, you can buy them in Japan.

If I were you I might pick up the smaller and lighter parts stateside via new egg because it can be cheaper (most definitely the OS and the motherboard if you want English) and then when you land grab a case, dvd drives, fans, and a power supply. Do you know where you are going to be in Japan?

Edit: Don't bother shipping stuff to Japan. It costs too damn much and it'll probably get damaged (stateside, Japanese delivery companies are wonderful). If you can't carry it in your suitcase, it'll more than likely be cheaper to buy it in Japan than pay the shipping for it.

jovervol

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Thanks guys, this is all really helpful!

Yeah, from the links you sent and some other snooping, it looks like there shouldn't be any big incompatibility problems (well, I'm still a little cautious about power...I suspect computer parts may be the "sensitive equipment" that could be affected by a V/Hz difference). The main thing is just figuring out what parts are worth buying stateside, considering that I'll have to pack them in suitcases that will already be overstuffed. And intercontinental shipping is expensive like WHOA

Here's how I think it breaks down:

-Case, PSU, and monitor are too big/heavy to take
-hard drive, optical, cooling, and peripherals are cheap regardless and maybe cheaper in Japan, so no need to get them here

-memory and video card are cheaper in the US and relatively small to pack
-motherboard is big, but the BIOS and manual need to be in English

I guess the only question left is processor...I'm getting intel, but I'm not sure if it'd be significantly cheaper here because it's an American company.

Asking the Japanese forum users is a good idea; I'll let you all know if they have anything to contribute.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh balls, there is no Japanese TH site. Fudge.

SDSUMarcus01

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Unless you've got good Japanese reading skills and can navigate Japanese websites, I'd recommend buying the processor stateside. I've noticed most electronics here have a bit of premium because they get imported. Newegg what you can.

The peripherals won't be cheaper. I paid 5800 (roughly $58) for a sidewinder x5 which is like $42 on new egg. But when you consider shipping costs, it ends up being cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS