Build Advice Building micro or mini PC or of limited selection of corsair components

PrinceGraham

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
I'm not much of a gamer, so going the Corsair route seems a bit excessive, but it looks as though I'd actually save money getting a much better quality rig, and I treat my work laptop like a desktop anyway, pretty much never using it on the go or unplugging the monitor. For average usage, I run roughly a 200 tabs at once (but less now thanks to my discovery of OneTab!), a load of word docs, apps, and Scrivener, as well as various eBook software, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premier when needed.

I'm taking advantage of a very limited deal with Corsair through my Eastern European University where I get everything for sale only on Corsair's EU website at a very large discount. So instead of getting a heavy duty workstation laptop like I'd planned, I'm going to get a small Corsair desktop build (or more likely just the components, since there are no full systems for small builds on the EU sites other than refurbs, as far as I can see).

Since I move every 6 months or so I'd like the smallest, most lightweight build that can fit into a suitcase ideally--micro, mini, the smallest of the towers. Quiet is good, lots of RAM is awesome, GPU is where I can skimp. For a non-gamer is it worth getting a Corsair keyboard? I wanted to get a get a mechanical keyboard, but I don't like the gaming joystick thing on the Corsair builds I've seen. Headphones for conversations even are important, is it worth getting a Corsair headset even if I'm going to also pick up a pair of Bose QC 35s or Sennheiser Momentums.

Any advice is appreciated! Here's the Corsair EU site. Note how few products are actually available--they mostly try to link you to other retailers.

Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
If you're looking for something in the most minimal of footprints, why don't you just look at the One prebuilt from Corsair as opposed to building a system out of Corsair components from the ground up? To add, have you looked into a PCPartPicker parts list to see if you're actually spending less overall when buying through Corsair's path...?

German partlist, is this overkill?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5 GHz 12-Core Processor (€399.90 @ Caseking)
CPU Cooler: Enermax - Liqtech TR4 II 280 80.71 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€130.89 @ Aquatuning)
Motherboard: ASRock - X399M Taichi Micro ATX TR4 Motherboard (€339.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: G.Skill - Sniper X 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€361.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Corsair - MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€84.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: PNY - GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition Video Card (€159.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Mini Dark TG MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€91.65 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€79.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1648.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-25 08:39 CEST+0200

OP's usage :

For average usage, I run roughly a 200 tabs at once (but less now thanks to my discovery of OneTab!), a load of word docs, apps, and Scrivener, as well as various eBook software, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premier when needed.

Suggested threadripper cuz of the quad channel memory. The 2700X and 1920x are both in the 300-400 euro price range.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Since having that deal via Corsair why not at least get him Corsair parts where you can like case/ram/psu.

@PrinceGraham,

would be nice to know what budget you have?

Maybe you can start with this and build around it,
Bulldog High Performance PC Kit
need an mini itx motherboard+cpu+ram+storage,rest is there.Look slike they can provide one with motherboard,but am not sure if that is restricted to the Z270 they mentioned which is old.Maybe contact them and ask if Z370/Z390 is possible too.

For starters maybe something like this,

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (€311.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock - H370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard (€107.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€162.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Corsair - MP510 960 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€157.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €740.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-25 12:52 CEST+0200

didn't include a storage drive since not knowing what you need.The cpu has an integrated gpu which will do fine for the run of the mill stuff.

Might still be as mentioned by Lutfij that a build via the pcpartpicker can be less costly.

Last edited: