Building moderate budget gaming pc, need help choosing Motherboard, I don't get the how they differ in price so much

trucam4

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Hello all, First time builder here, Need some advice on which Motherboard to purchase. I will not be running SLI, and as you can see below, I purchase parts for much cheaper than their retail value. Thus, I would like to continue to do so with this Mobo and most likely will be purchasing it at my local Microcenter as I get a discount when it is purchased with a cpu.
I have decided on the i3-4340 as my research indicates buying the next tier (i5-4670k) doesn't increase performance by much and doesn't justify the $40 increase in price.(Feel free to disagree with me, here are links that led me to this conclusion, Article[1] and Youtube Video[2] . The video compares the 4130 but shows similar results.)
The Mobo is the main thing that is confusing me. My research has shown me that as long as the mobo has the slots needed to hold your required parts, they are negligibly different. Yes some outlive others, and dissipate heat better, but as long as I don't spring for a really crappy one, I should be fine putting that money saved towards a better gpu. I would like to use this mobo in the future to upgrade when this cpu and gpu become outdated but would like to spend as little as possible.
Could anyone please explain what I am overlooking or if I am correct, I would really appreciate it. I will be purchasing a gpu are $120, but am waiting for the right deal. Just assume that my gpu will be a mid to high level gpu for gaming. This is the LINK[3] to the page from which I will be choosing the mobo to couple with my cpu purchasing in order to receive additional discounts from microcenter, but I'm willing to shop somewhere else if this doesn't seem like a great deal. Thanks in advance.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4340 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor[4] $139.99
Memory ADATA Premier Series 4GB 1600 2-Pack[5] Purchased For $15 @ Tiger Direct
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive[6] Purchased For $40.00
Power Supply Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply[7] Purchased For $19.99 @ Microcenter
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $214.98

Solution
It is nice for free after MIR, sorry I don't read that before I post, and one disadvantage is the H81 that has only two RAM slots. And you buy the 4GB RAM now if you need more later either only add up to 8GB or buy the new 2X8GB RAM. But anyway just get it. Good deal. I did buy the i5 2500K/ MB combo from MC too.
Get the GA-B85M-D3H LGA 1150 for $50 with cpu combo. Because your CPU is non-K version, you can't OC the cpu. Some of MB like Z87 with the K version cpu you can OC either CPU and RAM. For the B85 you can't OC either CPU or RAM, you get what you pay for the less.

trucam4

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014

Using that logic, is their any reason is shouldn't get the GA-H81M-H in the flyer, is there anything that the GA-B85M-D3H has more than it that justifies the extra $50 to buy it? thanks

It is nice for free after MIR, sorry I don't read that before I post, and one disadvantage is the H81 that has only two RAM slots. And you buy the 4GB RAM now if you need more later either only add up to 8GB or buy the new 2X8GB RAM. But anyway just get it. Good deal. I did buy the i5 2500K/ MB combo from MC too.

Solution