Building my desktop

Luis_75

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017
Hi everyone,
I'm sure this has been asked before in a similar fashion, but I am thinking of getting a desktop, either by getting a base desktop and adding stuff or building it from scratch.

I have a laptop that has no screen and that has been giving some problems. I've been using it basically as a desktop, sometimes I move it and the screen around thought. So I thought a better investment would be a desktop - easier to maintain and upgrade.
The only complain I've had with it is the GPU and the really slow HDD.
CPU: i7-3517U
GPU: nvidia 635m
RAM: 6GB (2+4)
HDD: HTS54757

I want to use the computer to work and play some games. I don't like framerates bellow 30 fps (unstable are bad too) but I don't mind having the graphics low, so I'm pretty casual in terms of games.
I do a lot of programming of embedded systems so fast disk access can help and I can have multiple chrome tabs open, lots of PDFs, some with more than 1000 pages, while having a IDE open (sometimes pretty heavy on RAM, not even close to 3D rendering but Java based IDEs are sometimes hungry). And as the budget allows I would like to have 2 - 3 screens.
So it's not really needed a power house, but I like to have smooth multitask work and to not be pulling my hair with 10fps games even when lowering graphics.

What i've been considering, based on a suggestion build from a store ( this one https://www.globaldata.pt/shop/computador-global-workstation-advanced.html?options=cart)

CPU:
Any CPU is better than my laptop's so I was thinking i3 7300 at 169€.
Same number of cores, hyper-threading, checked and it's much better than my old i7-u.

GPU:
For now I've considered not having one and using the hd630 of the i3. It's actually better than my 635m so it would suffice until I have money for a good GPU. I was thinking gtx1050 (140-150€) which even so seems overkill.

Case:
The suggestion was Micro-ATX Cooler Master N200 N1 USB 3.0 at 43€. I don't know many diferences that the case brings besides forward ports and possible cooling upgrade.

Motherboard:
Motherboard MSI B250M Bazooka at 94€ micro-ATX. Since I am not gonna use more than 1 external GPU ever it seems like pretty much any will do.
This one has plenty of USB ports and seems to support enough expansion. My only problem is that I would need to use DVI and HDMI to have 2 screens (2 different types) until I get a GPU. But it seems better just with a bigger motherboard. But in reality I would not know how to choose besides choosing it compatible with the CPU.

RAM
This has a 4GB DDR4 budget RAM at 35€. I was considering either keeping it and adding another to have 8GB or buying instead a better 8GB ram also DDR4.

Storage
My final idea would be to have 1 SSD and 1 HDD. For now I would have just the HDD since I need the extra storage for that price. I hate how slow my HDD is. The suggestion on that build seems to be much better so it's fine for me
Western Digital 1TB (7200rpm) SATA III 64MB Blue 54€

Power supply
Cooler Master B500 ver.2 Bulk at 53€
I was told by a friend that he had a cooler master that was very unstable and that affected his i5 performance so I would probably would like another one.

So my questions in sumary are:
Should I maybe save for a i5 instead of the i3-7300?
What motherboard should I choose (is that one okay?)
What power supply should I choose? I was thinking a corsair 400-500w.
The RAM should I try to avoid kingston?

Thanks for reading and I hope I can find some help :)

RylieDetchon

Honorable
Nov 21, 2016
Processor: I would go with an i5, since you're going to be doing a lot of multitasking as it seems, and having many tabs open as well as PDFs and an IDE will kill a dual core processor.

Mobo: This one should suffice.

PSU: Some Corsair PSUs aren't that beefy and aren't that good based on quality. If you can, try and go for an EVGA PSU or something of the like.

RAM: Kingston RAM isn't bad, but 4GB is. Since you're going to be doing lots of multitasking, 4GB isn't going to cut it anymore. Try and save for at least 8GB if you can.