Building My First Computer, Have A Few Questions

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Hello, recently I've been thinking about getting a new computer, but rather than going to Wal-Mart like I did last time, I actually wanted to look into building a computer from scratch.

With that being said, I've been researching components for the last few days and have a basic list of components at the moment, however am still unsure about some, and also have a few questions I would like to ask.

First of all I would just like to say that I'm trying to keep this build on a budget of around $1200 (Not including peripherals) and would like it to be a generally decent gaming computer, and I do not plan on overclocking it as of this current moment in time.

(Honestly though at this point anything is better than the current 5 year old office computer I have with an AMD Radeon HD 5570 in it.)

This is the current list of components: http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/ZQ94VL62DHDM/ref=topnav_lists_2

Now you'll notice there are still quite a few things missing from that list, namely a Power Supply, and DVD-RW Drive. I think I have a good idea of the HDD, SSD, and DVD-RW Drive that I want but am really not sure of the power supply yet.

So here are some of my current questions... (Keep in mind I have no plans of overclocking.)

1) Do I need or should I get an aftermarket CPU Cooler? If I did get one I've been looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

2) Should I get RAM sticks with built in heat sinks or not?

No heat sink: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Desktop-Memory-CML8GX3M2A1600C9/dp/B00569K7LM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=ZQ94VL62DHDM&coliid=I23ZKYAGPS1F3I
Heat sink: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-240-Pin-Platforms-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=amtcd_B00569K7LM_B004CRSM4I

3) What power supply would be recommended for this build as it is now, or should I wait until I have picked some other components first before choosing?

4) Is this a decent build? Is there anything that you think I could add or change within my budget that would be better suited for a decent gaming computer?

EDIT: Alright so I've finally picked an HDD and SSD, so that's on my wishlist now. I'll edit this edit as I put more stuff on the wishlist.

Solution
check out this build, added a non OC CPU and mobo, but that means u also cannot SLI, found the Gigabyte 770 at a steal price, the offer ends on 2nd September so i would hurry

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($102.99 @ NCIX US)...

jinayhvora

Honorable
if u're not overclocking, why the K CPU and the Z77 board? u can save money there and probably fit in a 770
1. if u're not overclocking u don't need an aftermaket Cooler, but if u decide to go with Haswell it might be a good idea to buy one
2.get the first one, it won't block potential CPU coolers
3. a decent 500W should enough for the 760, if u decide to step up to a 770 get a 600W
4. yes, its quite decent, but again u can go with a non-OC CPU and mobo and use the money to get a 770

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Thanks for the info, I actually had no idea that those were an OC CPU and MB, I've just been basing what I've picked on all the stuff I've been reading online and since it seems like 75% of people OC it's hard to tell the difference in what I should be picking. (Since everyone recommending components just seems to assume OC.)

Any idea then what the alternatives are for that CPU and MB? I can probably find them but if you could let me know that'd be great.

jinayhvora

Honorable
check out this build, added a non OC CPU and mobo, but that means u also cannot SLI, found the Gigabyte 770 at a steal price, the offer ends on 2nd September so i would hurry

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($102.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($359.10 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-118BB DVD/CD Drive ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1161.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-29 03:51 EDT-0400)

Solution

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Thanks, this has definitely given me some insight, unfortunately I won't have the money for about 2 months so pretty much no special offers really apply for me at the moment, hopefully there will be some special offers down the road when I actually have the money to spend.

I might look around and tweak what you've listed there based on personal preferences (like the case) but for the most part that looks good.

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
So I've been thinking about it some more, and say I wanted multiple monitors... What would you recommend for CPU and MB in that case? (Once again without overclocking, and definitely without 2 GPU's, that's expensive.)

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Don't know why, but for some reason I feel like that MB you suggested is like "cheaping out" a little... Don't ask me why because I've looked over the specs and I don't personally see anything wrong with it. You know, I just realized I'm complaining about spending less money... o_O

I guess I just feel like something more "powerful" would be required, you know?

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

How about this, keeping money out of the question, what do you think would be the most suitable MB for that CPU and GPU? Not something like super powerful that pretty much says "overclock me", but not something that's as powerful as an electric toothbrush.

EDIT: Not to say that the card you picked sucks or anything, it actually looks decent, I just feel wrong going from a $160 MB to an $80 MB.

That being said I'm continuing to ask myself why in gods name I'm complaining about an inexpensive MB... >.<

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Alright thanks, I am feeling a lot better about the MB now. Also a question about the CPU, do you think it would be worth it to get the intel i5-4670 instead of the i5-4570? I'm just wondering because of the extra speed of 0.2 GHz.

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Yeah after a bit more research I've decided to stick with the i5-4570, because of the minimal difference. Anyways here's what I have thus far.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1xA7h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1xA7h/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1xA7h/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.75 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.06 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($105.14 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Video Card ($329.99 @ NCIX)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.90 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1223.79
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-29 09:32 EDT-0400)

However, you know how I said I wanted multiple monitors? Well I've learned that apparently that MB doesn't support SLI, which is what the GPU is using. I've been searching around quite a bit for an alternative, but am having troubles doing so because all the MB's I can find with SLI support are designed for overclocking.

P.S. ~ I decided to go with the GTX 760 instead of the GTX 770, the price difference was just way too much. Also ended up going with the 4GB instead of the 2GB because the only 2GB that PCPartPicker is allowing me to find is "SuperClocked".

EDIT: Oh and I wanted the GTX 760 with EVGA's ACX Cooling, that's why I picked that one, not sure I actually need it since I'm not overclocking though.

jinayhvora

Honorable
no, the GPU i put in doesn't use SLI, its a single 770, SLI means multiple cards
with the 760 the only use of 4GB is if u're using 3 or more monitors
and there are many 2GB 760s available, also there's nothing wrong with the SuperClocked, it just comes with a factory OC

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Oh, so then what needs to be done for multiple monitors? I thought it had to be CrossFire or SLI compatible depending on if your GPU is AMD or NVidia, or is it just the actual GPU itself that has to be compatible? Or is it just that you need 2 available ports on the GPU to plug 2 monitors into?

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Alright thanks for clarifying that for me, sorry I'm sort of new to this whole computer building thing.

Anyways on the note of the GPU, would it be beneficial to go with the 4GB if I'm running two monitors or should I just go with 2GB? I've heard that the GTX 760 is only actually capable of utilizing 2GB of VRAM? Another question is should I stick with EVGA for their ACX Cooler or is there another manufacturer that has a cooler on their GTX 760 or do I even need one with a cooler in the first place?

And if I should stick with EVGA for their ACX Cooler and get only 2GB of VRAM, since PCPartPicker is only showing me the "Superclocked" 2GB GTX 760 would the cooler then sort of by default keep it from overheating because of it being "Superclocked"?

jinayhvora

Honorable
all cards come with coolers, without it a card will burn up the moment u start up ur system,
besides the EVGA ACX other good coolers include the Gigabyte WindForce, the Asus DirectCUII, MSI TwinFrozr, also depending on the type of case airflow u have nVidia reference blower type coolers might also be suitable, but i generally suggest against them
exactly how many monitors are u planning to run? how many do u wanna game on?

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

Alright thanks for the info about the coolers. As for how many monitors I'm planning on running / gaming on. I really only plan on gaming on one, but keeping the other on for web browsing, video's, etc. while I game.

Thanks for your input, as for some of the stuff you said "cheaper on amazon", unfortunately some of it I won't be able to get because it will only ship within the US. (I haven't actually mentioned it yet but I live in Canada.)

I've yet to compare the MB and RAM you mentioned to what's on my list at the moment, but for the GPU I'm curious about the "OC with Boost", isn't that overclocking? Will it be able to cool itself without additional cooling? The reason I'm asking is because I want to avoid overclocking because of the cooling usually required for such set ups. As for the CPU Cooler you think I don't need it? Or should I still get it just as a sort of precaution? Since it's only like $30 and all.

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Well this is unfortunate, as I've been reading more and more about overclocking I'm starting to think about it... Initially I didn't want to mess with that because of the whole cooling thing, and simply the fact I've never overclocked something before in my life. What are the advantages of overclocking? What are the disadvantages? Can your components be damaged if say you accidentally do something wrong?

Then as far as I can tell, without overclocking GPU's go as so performance wise.

HD 7950 < GTX 760 < HD 7970 < GTX 770

And with overclocking.

GTX 760 < HD 7950 < GTX 770 < HD 7970

So the GPU I pick pretty much directly corresponds to if I'm going to be overclocking or not. Now if I did decide to overclock I would probably want to upgrade the CPU to a "K" variant, and change the MB for something that will better facilitate overclocking. Wouldn't that be more expensive?

So many questions... You know what maybe I should just stay away from overclocking and get two GTX 760's with SLI instead... That should be future proof enough.

EDIT: Alright after some more research and debating on what to do, I'm not going to be overclocking (again), and am definitely sticking with a singe (no SLI) GTX 760 GPU. Now the only question that remains is if I should get the 2GB or 4GB variant? I plan on using 2 monitors, both will be 1080p, one I will use for gaming and the other for web browsing, video's, etc. while I game.

EDIT: Other than that I'm also having a hard time figuring out whether to go with the GTX 760 from Gigabyte, MSI, or Asus, any recommendations? I've been leaning towards the Gigabyte because it has 3 fans for better cooling.

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Well, here's what I have now, what do you think?

EDIT: By "have now" I mean have picked, I haven't actually purchased the components or anything yet.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.75 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($31.06 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($105.14 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.99 @ Memory Express)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($23.05 @ DirectCanada)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans ($23.05 @ DirectCanada)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.76 @ DirectCanada)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.76 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($56.90 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($68.38 @ Newegg Canada)
Mouse: Logitech M185 Wireless Optical Mouse ($31.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T20 Series II 28W 2ch Speakers ($99.99 @ Memory Express)
Headphones: Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset ($104.99 @ DirectCanada)

Total: $1944.69

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-30 05:23 EDT-0400)

Cori W

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013

1) I said budget was $1200 not including peripherals (Which I consider to be the Monitors, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, and Headphones), which without those my list only actually comes to $1359, only $159 over budget.

2) I was going to go with the 650W, but after using a wattage calculator, I found this computer would use about 550W with all it's fans and such, so went with the 750W just to be safe.

3) Well, I wanted to replace all the stock fans, and figured I may as well just fill all the case fan slots.

4) I would like to watch Blu-ray's on my computer, so yes I do need a Blu-ray drive.

On another note that "budget" that I mentioned was literally a random number I picked out of my head, really I could set it at whatever the bank will give me a loan for, provided I can pay it off in a reasonable amount of time. (Going to the bank in 2 hours to see about getting said loan, so I guess now would be the time to commit to a setup because that will pretty much dictate how much I ask for.)

EDIT: Well the 770 is about $140 more than the 760, the reason I've been trying to keep with the 760 is because of the better price / performance ratio, however now that I think about it maybe your right in that I've already surpassed my "budget" so may as well. On that note I'll probably stick with the 750W PSU anyways, as for the case fans, do you think I should drop some? I mean I just picked those ones because they had decent reviews and that's how many fans my case will take. Or should I just drop all of them and simply use the 2 120mm and 1 140mm fan that come stock with the case?

EDIT: Come to think of it, what about the 750W Gold PSU from SeaSonic? The SSR-750RM, would that be a better option than the one I have picked already?

EDIT: Maybe I should go with the 650W, I think all those fans are really pushing up the wattage of the machine... Hmm.. Do I need all those fans or should I just leave the fans stock? Or use less fans?

EDIT: Hmm, maybe it was just the calculator I was using, I tried a different one and it gives me a wattage of 450W, in which case I should just get the 650W PSU.

EDIT: Yes I realize this is a ton of edits, but now that I'm in sort of a time crunch I'm thinking fast... (Might not be a good thing)

What if I drop the CPU Cooler because I'm not overclocking, and I drop the aftermarket Case Fans assuming the 3 stock Case Fans will suffice, and I drop the SSD (Was only going to use it as a boot drive.), and that will reduce the price of the whole thing by $226.67, bringing the total price down to $1834.78 (Also assuming I'm actually going with the GTX 770.)

If I do go with the GTX 760 instead of the GTX 770 that would then be about $1694.78.

On top of that I could probably also go with less expensive speakers and headset too which could potentially drop the price another $100 or so, bringing total price down to $1695 (approx.)

The things I'm completely happy with right now is the CPU, MB, RAM, HDD, Case, Optical, Keyboard, and Mouse.
Which leaves the things I'm still iffy about, which is the CPU Cooler, Case Fans, SSD, GPU, PSU, Speakers, and Headset

Namely the questions I have is do I really need the extra cooling of a CPU Cooler and aftermarket Case Fans? Do I really need an SSD Boot Drive? Should I go with the GTX 760 for it's good price / performance or get the GTX 770 instead? Is the 650W Gold PSU enough power? And do I really need speakers and a headset that are $100 each?