awong730

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Hi,

I am currently building my first computer and after hours of research this is what my computer might become. I would like to get some feedback's if all these components are compatible with each other. Thank you...

Motherboard - MSI P67A-GD65
CPU - Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
Power Supply - Corsair HX Series 850W
Video Card - MSI N460GTX Cyclone
Memory - Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Optical Drive - HP Combo Model
Hard Drive - WD VelociRaptor W03000HLFS 300GB
Computer Case - Cooler Master Storm Scout
OS - windows 7 ultimate

vivi2000

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
That build looks good.
You could switch the i7 to an i5 2500k save yourself $100 and still get 97% of the preformance.
I would also look at 6870/6850, and unless you plan to use SLI/Crossfire in the future 850w is overkill. A good 650w would be plenty.
Also i would skip the velociraptor, get a ssd+large hdd.

jb6684

Distinguished
I'd spend the money on the things that your going to stick with the longest or it's a pain to upgrade....

PS, if you buy it right once your set for 2 or 3 future builds...
- HX850 has a 7 year warranty & will out last a system or two
- your ready to SLI or Crossfire two of Any present (single GPU) card on the market (& GPU power draw is trending down..)
- in 6 months or a year, you can just pop in a second GPU and go...
NOTE: HX650 is plenty for any SINGLE card... and is Only $50 cheaper than the HX850

Motherboard, reloading the OS, and applications if you change (most of the time required) & worst case battling with Microsoft to re-use your Win7 license on "substantially new hardware" (been there, done that...)
- I prefer ASUS or Gigabyte motherboards
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131701

CPU, I still with the top of the line, things change so fast with CPUs it won't be king of the hill for more than a few months (& you'll loose your shirt selling the old one on eBay..)

Personally, I like Western Digital drives...
- I own the same Raptor, also Black and Blue 500Gb & 1Tb drives...
- Raptor IS faster, but, it won't change your world....
- IF I had to save money, I'd just get a WD 500Gb Blue for $40 and call it a day....

- RAM, I prefer Corsair, GSkill, or Crucial.
- going with 8Gb makes the most sense for a new build (you can OC sticks better than 4 sticks Always....)

- Window 7
- Be Certain you get the 64 bit version
- take a look at features, PRO version works for me, not sure what Ultimate has you "must have"...

- Video card, get a faster one....

sgt bombulous

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Why on earth would you want a Raptor? With a new motherboard that's 6 GB/s capable it would be such a waste not to run the OS off of an SSD. I would go with an Intel Elm Crest 510, 120 GB like this, and a separate larger drive for data. I heartily recommend the Samsung HD103SJ for mass storage and speed. Unbeatable and pretty cheap anymore.

awong730

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Thanks guys for all the opinions. I've made a couple of adjustments from you guy's suggestions....

Case - CM Storm Scout Mid Tower
Hard Drive - Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200RPM
Video - MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GB 256bit
PSU - Corsair Enthusiast series 650W
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw series 16GB (4x4GB)
ROM - LG Black Blu-Ray Disc Combo
CPU - Intel core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 6 GB/s

LMK your take and is it all compatible with each other