[SOLVED] Building my first-ever gaming PC with zilch experience

Aug 19, 2019
Hey everyone, I have placed my planned parts list on the bottom of this post. I've never built a PC and I'm carefully picking parts before I start draining my bank account on newegg and Amazon. What do you guys think about the build? Is it at a point where I can safely start ordering away and build once my parts are together or are there any worries/concerns about compatibility, etc.?

As far as all the tools go, I'm thinking this magnetic screwdriver set (https://www.amazon.com/PREMIUM-Repa...uilding+tools&qid=1566245669&s=gateway&sr=8-4 ), as well as a grounding bracelet and a magnetic tray for screws and thermal paste (I already have some scissors and might buy zip-ties + pliers). Am I missing anything tool-wise, and does choice of thermal paste matter? Any recommendations on thermal paste?

As far as CPU coolers go I'm planning on using the prism wraith cooler that comes with the Ryzen 3700X.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($539.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Thermaltake H200 TG Snow RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.95 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan ($22.90 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan ($22.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $1492.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-19 22:56 EDT-0400

Edit:
Also, I was wondering, would any model of the 2070 super likely be compatible with the build if the current one is? What about RTX 2080 and 2080 super models?

Last edited:
Solution
Your build is good tho I'd personally go with the RX 5700 XT (custom card not blower style) the only thing that can justify RTX 2070 SUPER over the RX 5700 XT is if you really need ray tracing as the FPS difference isn't enough to make the extra $100 acceptable.
Your build is good tho I'd personally go with the RX 5700 XT (custom card not blower style) the only thing that can justify RTX 2070 SUPER over the RX 5700 XT is if you really need ray tracing as the FPS difference isn't enough to make the extra $100 acceptable.

Reactions: scalestripe
Solution
Aug 19, 2019

Is there any difference in compatibility between the two with this build?

I like that it's a ~$100 difference and a similar performance rating on User Benchmark's website. Is that a legit place to compare GPUs (https://www.userbenchmark.com )?

Is there any difference in compatibility between the two with this build?

I like that it's a ~$100 difference and a similar performance rating on User Benchmark's website. Is that a legit place to compare GPUs (https://www.userbenchmark.com )?
Can you elaborate on what you mean by compatibility? also it's been a dodgy system lately but if you look hard enough most say the RX 5700 XT is the better buy UNLESS you need ray tracing.

Reactions: scalestripe
Aug 19, 2019
Can you elaborate on what you mean by compatibility? also it's been a dodgy system lately but if you look hard enough most say the RX 5700 XT is the better buy UNLESS you need ray tracing.

Thanks! By compatibility I just meant to ask whether one part was somehow more optimal specifically for working with the system's other parts than another in some way.

I like the R7 5700 XT custom cooled ones, but they come out later, no?

Thanks! By compatibility I just meant to ask whether one part was somehow more optimal specifically for working with the system's other parts than another in some way.

I like the R7 5700 XT custom cooled ones, but they come out later, no?
I believe some are already out and some come out very soon and no parts are better meant for each other in my opinion as long as the parts aren't super old and some are super new like new GPU old motherboard old CPU if that makes sense but yeah it should work fine.