Building my first ever PC. Could you help me with the build? (Budget around 1250€)

Jul 8, 2018
Hello everyone!

This is my first time building a PC. I am very new to this. Thats why I decided to ask on forums. I also think it would be cheaper to build it on my own, then buy in my local shops. But that I will compare after I have a build or two ready.

Approximate Purchase Date: By the end of the year(I would like to have a build soon. So I can look if there are any discounts in my local shops, so I don't have to order online. But probably will)

Budget Range: (max about 1250€) After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Most important two things would be gaming modern AAA titles and also programming and 3D modeling. Those are the most important things. Would also use it for all the other smaller tasks(youtube, movies, school)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Since I am from EU most preffered website would be: https://www.mindfactory.de/ . Open to other suggestions.

Parts Preferences: For CPU I would prefer intel over amd. Also an Nvidia Graphics card.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 and 1280x1024

Additional Comments:
I would really like a blue/black color scheme if possible. Or just black
Software I am/will be using is: Unity3D, Blender.
Games I would like to play(since I can't play them with my current rig) are: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt; Dark Souls 3; Minecraft; Fortnite; Overwatch; Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4; Mortal Kombat X and other popular titles like that.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current PC is old and just broke down.(Won't turn on again). I was using a gtx 650 which wasn't the best.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Something like this should be good...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (€299.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€74.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€141.45 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€64.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€58.88 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Mini Video Card (€467.94 @ Mindfactory)...
Something like this should be good...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (€299.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€74.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (€141.45 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€64.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€58.88 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Mini Video Card (€467.94 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (€50.98 @ Alternate)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€85.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1245.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-08 15:54 CEST+0200

Solution
Jul 8, 2018

What about instead of the i7, I would use i5-8400 and instead of 1070 ti a 1080?

Softwares like Unity 3D and Blender are very multicore scaling specific and the more cores and the extra threads of 8700 would make it a better performer. You can always OC the 1070ti to 1080speeds.
Ideally your workload would better suit a Ryzen CPU. But since you are averse to that, the i7 should better.
You can go with the 8400 + 1080 but that would make it game better at the cost of your productivity performance.

The CPU is typically the longest lasting component if chosen right. There is a substantial difference between an i5-8400 and i7-8700. A difference which can mean a few years difference in useful life. In gaming and productivity tasks.

Conversely, there is little difference between a GTX 1070 Ti and 1080. You'll see minimal performance gains. When it is time to replace a 1070 Ti it'll be time to replace a 1080.

The only change I would make the Hellfire13's build is the SSD. It is a bit of a pain to change out a boot drive. A 500GB SSD would be a minimal cost increase but be far more useful. You can store several large games on it.

Given your country. I wouldn't get stuck on any specific make and model. WD 3D Blue, Samsung 850/860 Evo are good alternatives. There's plenty more if you see a deal. Except for some of the really cheap models. There's little real world performance difference between a lot of the SATA SSD.

Same with the GPU. Just about any dual or triple fan model will have good cooling. Single fan and blower works. They are just louder.

As for the PSU. The Seasonic Focus Gold, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, EVGA G2, EVGA G3 and Corsair RMx are all excellent units. If you see a better price.

With RAM Team, G.Skill, Crucial, Kingston, AData, Samsung and SK Hynix are some good brands. I'd just make it 2666Mhz or faster, CL 16 or lower and 16GB or more.

Jul 8, 2018

I am going to choose your post as solution, but I am going to look around for a bit, and maybe change some stuff!
Thanks!