Building my first pc and need help

Elzored

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
Hi my name is Marcos and I have selected all the parts to my custom built PC. But there is one problem or just that am curious about something. I have my current PC and it is really bad that's why i am making a new one and i wanted to know if i can move my hard drive from my current PC to the new PC am going to make. I don't know if its a bad idea or if i should just get a new hard drive but if i do i have to buy and install windows 7 again and i have so many files in my current PC that i use and i don't have the rest of that money for the windows and new hard drive. if you need to know what my new PC specs are just ask me in the comments thanks.

Solution
Unless you have a retail copy of Windows, you'll have to buy one.

If the currently installed Windows was OEM (original equipment manufacturer)/it came with the desktop PC pre-installed, this means that you won't be able to use it for a new build.
However if you have a Windows retail product key for Windows, you can use it to install Win on your new computer.
Hey there, Marcos.

Unfortunately you won't be able to just transfer the old drive and boot to Windows. This can only happen if the motherboards of both computers are the same or at least pretty similar models and even then it's not 100% guaranteed to work. So it seems like you'd have to backup the important data from that drive and make a fresh install of Windows when you connect it to your new system.
Sorry it's not what you've expected, but unfortunately that's how things are. :(

Good luck!
Boogieman_WD

Elzored

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

oh thanks Boogieman_WD i understand now but then how will i be able to make a new install of windows 7? do i have to buy another copy of it?

Unless you have a retail copy of Windows, you'll have to buy one.

If the currently installed Windows was OEM (original equipment manufacturer)/it came with the desktop PC pre-installed, this means that you won't be able to use it for a new build.
However if you have a Windows retail product key for Windows, you can use it to install Win on your new computer.

Solution

slingsrat

Honorable
May 31, 2016
You can try plugging in the old hardrive, it wont harm your system. Windows will load default drivers for any new hardware that wasn't present on the original motherboard. You will likely have to reactivate windows again though.

Elzored

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

Thanks for the tip but i feel much more comfortable to just buy a new windows 7 key.

Elzored

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

My PC was pre-built and yes windows 7 came with it so sadly i have to waste 90 bucks on windows 7. But thanks for making me understand this better i will have a new pc soon xD thanks and cya.