[SOLVED] Building my first PC from scratch (Gaming)

TheKirk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I want to get into some PC gaming, so I figured I'll try and build my own gaming PC. I haven't tried it before, but I'll save some money, it seems fun, and how hard can it be, right? 😅

My budget is around $1,000 for the system itself. I've been looking at this build from Linus Tech Tips. It seems to do the trick for me with 1440p capability and a lifespan of a handful of years (probably?). Here's ther list on Amazon, and here are the specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super
MOBO: AsRock B450M PRO4
PSU: Corsair CX550w
RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3000MHz
SSD: WD Blue 250GB

What do you think of this build for my budget? I figured that since the video is around 7 months old, there might be some better deals out there today.

I want a better case than the one they use, but I'm going to find one myself I think. Also, I haven't settled on a monitor yet, but suggestions are welcome. I'll be running Windows 10.

Thank you.

Solution
I would get this instead, better CPU, MB has wifi/bt, faster memory, larger/faster SSD, better quality PSU & similarly performing GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB CHALLENGER D OC Video Card ($383.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($62.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:...

WildCard999

Titan
I would get this instead, better CPU, MB has wifi/bt, faster memory, larger/faster SSD, better quality PSU & similarly performing GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB CHALLENGER D OC Video Card ($383.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($100.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $986.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-10 07:50 EST-0500

Edit: Disregard the error message, that motherboard does support the 3600 right out of the box.

Reactions: Archaic59
Solution

TheKirk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

PCPartPicker Part List
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($100.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $986.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-10 07:50 EST-0500

Edit: Disregard the error message, that motherboard does support the 3600 right out of the box.
Thank you for the reply! Quick question: How come the RX5700 XT is so much cheaper if it's performing as good as the 2070 Super?

WildCard999

Titan
Thank you for the reply! Quick question: How come the RX5700 XT is so much cheaper if it's performing as good as the 2070 Super?
Well the 2070S is a little bit faster however for the price the RX 5700 XT is a better choice and for your budget works well as that extra money can be put towards the better performing CPU.

Also the 2070 you picked isn't the Super version, plus it's horribly overpriced at over $600.

TheKirk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hey,

I want to build a gaming PC capable of 1440p gaming.

Based on recommendations from here and there - and what's available and reasonably priced in my country (Denmark) - i've put together this list:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W
  • RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x8GB DDR4 3200 MHz
  • SSD: Crucial P1 1TB
  • Possibly an HDD also

Now I just need a motherboard to plug it all into, but I'm at a loss. I'm very new to building my own PC, and I just don't know what to look for in a motherboard. But I would like it to have a built-in WiFi-adapter, and room for more RAM in the future wouldn't hurt.

So, what exactly should I look for? And what would be your pick for this build if my main concern is rather bang-for-buck than high end? We're talking about $100, but it's hard to say as the prices differ quite a lot from America to Denmark. Thanks.

mtracy1991

Reputable
Hey,

I want to build a gaming PC capable of 1440p gaming.

Based on recommendations from here and there - and what's available and reasonably priced in my country (Denmark) - i've put together this list:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W
  • RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x8GB DDR4 3200 MHz
  • SSD: Crucial P1 1TB
  • Possibly an HDD also
Now I just need a motherboard to plug it all into, but I'm at a loss. I'm very new to building my own PC, and I just don't know what to look for in a motherboard. But I would like it to have a built-in WiFi-adapter, and room for more RAM in the future wouldn't hurt.

So, what exactly should I look for? And what would be your pick for this build if my main concern is rather bang-for-buck than high end? We're talking about $100, but it's hard to say as the prices differ quite a lot from America to Denmark. Thanks.

How many USB ports are you looking for having?

TheKirk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Thanks! Are there any major differences between those two?

Looking on the DK PC Part Picker, you're not going to find a compatible motherboard with built in WiFi for under 675kr ($100). You'd probably be better off with either of the two @DMAN999 suggests and adding a WiFi add-on card.

-Wolf sends

Yeah, but the thing is, the Danish version of PC Part Picker apparently excludes some stores in Denmark where the parts might be cheaper, so it doesn't seem as reliable as the service I usually use (Pricerunner.com). I'm not sure if you guys can navigate through the Danish version of Pricerunner? If so, that would be really helpful.

Last edited:

TheKirk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
What is the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX going for on that site? Is it close to your budget?

-Wolf sends

It's around $130. But the second one DMAN999 posted, the MSI B450-A PRO MAX, is around $105 here, so I guess it's going to be that one. Unless there are some important reasons why I would spend a little more for the Tomahawk or something else?

TheKirk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hi,

I'm trying to build my own gaming PC for the first time, and it's tough to navigate through the jungle of brands and models when picking parts. So I hope you'll help me out here.

After much consideration I've decided on the chipset I'll choose for my GPU - the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT. But I'm not sure which brand to pick. I've narrowed it down to three choices that are all priced within a difference of <$10 here in Denmark, so I'd really like some suggestions.

The candidates:
My first thought, knowing next to nothing about GPUs, is that the MSI must be best, since it has two fans, while the other ones only have one. But how big of a difference does that really make? And are there any other aspects I should put into consideration - like brand reliability, software, performance or anything else?

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'll be running an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, and I'll probably get an MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max motherboard. I haven't decided on a case yet, but whatever I get, I'll make sure that the GPU I choose will fit in it.

Thank you.

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
The blower models are out of the question so that leaves you with the MSI Mech. But that is not very good either, in terms of temps. I'd suggest Sapphire Nitro+, PowerColor Red Devil or at the very least Gigabyte Gaming OC or the Sapphire Pulse. If you have to get between the 3 you mentioned and no other options, then go with the Mech.

WildCard999

Titan
Well, that was easy. Thank you :)
No problem!

Now if you were getting a small ITX case or making like a HTPC console replacement then the blower style fan works better as it exhaust the hot air from where the connections are. This is ideal when there's really no airflow and that's the only spot to get rid of it but they still run pretty hot. Since your motherboard is ATX then your case will probably support good airflow.

TheKirk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
The blower models are out of the question so that leaves you with the MSI Mech. But that is not very good either, in terms of temps. I'd suggest Sapphire Nitro+, PowerColor Red Devil or at the very least Gigabyte Gaming OC or the Sapphire Pulse. If you have to get between the 3 you mentioned and no other options, then go with the Mech.
Hmmm.. Well, the PowerColor Red DRAGON is about the same price as the others here, but I read somewhere here on Tom's that it's a 2nd tier brand.
However, if I stretch my budget just a bit, the Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB TUF Gaming X3 OC is also within reach. That has THREE fans = better. Right? Or?

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
Hmmm.. Well, the PowerColor Red DRAGON is about the same price as the others here, but I read somewhere here on Tom's that it's a 2nd tier brand.
However, if I stretch my budget just a bit, the Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB TUF Gaming X3 OC is also within reach. That has THREE fans = better. Right? Or?
No, TUF is one of the worst, if not the worst 5700XT out there, lol..in terms of temps, even worse than the blower ones. I want to make a correction, it should be PowerColor Red Devil, not Red Dragon. Let me make you a tier of the 5700 XTs, not price wise, but temp wise. God Tier: Sapphire Nitro+. 1st tier: MSI Gaming X, PowerColor Red Devil. 2nd Tier: Sapphire Pulse, PowerColor Red Dragon, AsRock Taichi, Gigabyte Gaming OC. So-so tier: Asus Strix, Gigabyte Aorus, MSI Mech. Meh tier: XFX THICC II Ulra, MSI Evoke, Reference Models. Avoid tier: Asus TUF, AsRock Challenger.
So, whichever is the cheapest and has the best warranty up until 2nd tier, go for that.

TheKirk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
No, TUF is one of the worst, if not the worst 5700XT out there, lol..in terms of temps, even worse than the blower ones. I want to make a correction, it should be PowerColor Red Devil, not Red Dragon. Let me make you a tier of the 5700 XTs, not price wise, but temp wise. God Tier: Sapphire Nitro+. 1st tier: MSI Gaming X, PowerColor Red Devil. 2nd Tier: Sapphire Pulse, PowerColor Red Dragon, AsRock Taichi, Gigabyte Gaming OC. So-so tier: Asus Strix, Gigabyte Aorus, MSI Mech. Meh tier: XFX THICC II Ulra, MSI Evoke, Reference Models. Avoid tier: Asus TUF, AsRock Challenger.
So, whichever is the cheapest and has the best warranty up until 2nd tier, go for that.
That's very helpful, thanks. I'll look into the prices!