[SOLVED] Building my first PC from scratch (Gaming)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheKirk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I want to get into some PC gaming, so I figured I'll try and build my own gaming PC. I haven't tried it before, but I'll save some money, it seems fun, and how hard can it be, right? 😅

My budget is around $1,000 for the system itself. I've been looking at this build from Linus Tech Tips. It seems to do the trick for me with 1440p capability and a lifespan of a handful of years (probably?). Here's ther list on Amazon, and here are the specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super
MOBO: AsRock B450M PRO4
PSU: Corsair CX550w
RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4 3000MHz
SSD: WD Blue 250GB

What do you think of this build for my budget? I figured that since the video is around 7 months old, there might be some better deals out there today.

I want a better case than the one they use, but I'm going to find one myself I think. Also, I haven't settled on a monitor yet, but suggestions are welcome. I'll be running Windows 10.

Thank you.

Solution
I would get this instead, better CPU, MB has wifi/bt, faster memory, larger/faster SSD, better quality PSU & similarly performing GPU.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB CHALLENGER D OC Video Card ($383.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($62.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:...

TheKirk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I'm trying to trim down the cost of the gaming PC i want to build, and I can save some money if I cheap out a bit on the PSU.

So far this is the build I have in mind:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3,6 GHz
  • MOBO: MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
  • GPU: Powercolor Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
  • RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600MHz 2x8GB
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W
  • SSD: Crucial P1 1TB
  • Case: To be determined
After having read Darkbreeze's excellent guide, I understand that Seasonic is pretty hard to beat in general. But the Corsair TX550M should be a decent unit too, and I can save around $25 if I pick that instead.

Would that be stupid? What do you think? Thanks.

Both the Seasonic FOCUS PLUS and the Corsair TXM are very good choices, and I would opt for the TXM if it is that much cheaper.

Really 550w is cutting it close as the 5700xt really likes 650w units, so what country are you in. We can help to find a suitable unit.

TheKirk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Both the Seasonic FOCUS PLUS and the Corsair TXM are very good choices, and I would opt for the TXM if it is that much cheaper.

Really 550w is cutting it close as the 5700xt really likes 650w units, so what country are you in. We can help to find a suitable unit.
Oh, I just figured since PCPartsPicker estimated my wattage at 3XX that I'd be fine with 550. But I'm definitely going to listen to the experts, so if you say 650, then 650 it is ;)

I live in Denmark, and PCPartsPicker isn't always too reliable when looking up prices here. But by any means, if you have some suggestions, I'm glad to hear 'em!

TheKirk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Okay, I've dug around a bit, and here are the prices I can get in Denmark on some of the models listed in Darkbreeze's guide:
  • Corsair TX650M 650W: ~$97
  • EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W: ~$119
  • Seasonic Focus Plus 650W: ~$124
So am I well off if I pick the TX650M?

TheKirk

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I've put together a list of parts for my gaming pc, and now I just need a case.

This is the build I have in mind.

Now, size isn't really a matter, but I'd like something that's pretty to look at. But as I'm new to this, I'm really unsure about what to look for in terms of cooling and connectivity, so I'd like some advice.

I only know that I want something white with tempered glass, and I'm willing to spend up to around $100, but the cheaper the better. I live in Denmark.

Any suggestions? Thanks.