Building my first PC, help apreciated.

Hanutech

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
Hello I am new to the forums. Great place for information.

I am from the Netherlands, europe. My budget is 1500 - 2000 euro's.
After a working system is achieved, stretch goals are possible :)

I want a pc that can ofcourse run any and all games on maximum settings.
Run a large amount of programs at the same time.
Can manage 2 or more large screens.
I see this build as a way to open the door to more indepth and expansive use of my PC and staying relevant for the coming 6 years or so.

I already have monitor, sound system, mouse & keyboard at my disposal.
Potential upgrades and expansions in the future when budgetarily doable.
The given budget is for what goes into the PC case alone.

I have already bought

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K / 3.3 GHz
GC: GigaByte GV-N970 G1 GAMING-4GD
Mobo: Asrock X99 Extreme4
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T Arctic White
Power Supply: Corsair AX760i

Another GigaByte GV-N970 G1 GAMING-4GD will be added somewhere after
the completion of this build. Dual SLI. Planning to overclock the CPU & GC's

the rest is yet to be decided.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

I imangine this to be overkil even for overclocking purposes. It is also quite large. Mounted on a vertical mobo, I hope the CG 760T is broad enough for it. Any suggestions? I may go with water cooling after all.

SSD: Crucial MX100 - Solid state drive - 512 GB

I was thinking of using only SSD. I think I will do fine with 2 TB I wont be filling out that fast anyway. Is there a reason for using normal HD instead of SSD beyond price?

RAM: Crucial 2 x 8GB DDR4 ram 2133 MHz ( PC4-17000 ) Simple. Dont know much
about ram yet. Imput apreciated.

Well a simple optical drive and windows 8.1 64 bit and thats it.

Any and all constructive imput very much apreciated. I am new to this.

Kind Regards

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
With your budget, I'd suggest switching to a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. You wrote 2TB, so you're thinking of getting (4) SSDs? I would recommend (2) of the 512GB SSDs (one for OS and normal programs, and the other for games), and then a 2, 3, or 4TB hard drive (WD Black is nice) for your data/media. For RAM, consider G.Skills Trident X. You might also consider a Corsair H100i water cooler instead the air cooler (but either will work fine).

Here is a little over your budget, but I think is well worth the extra money. This thing would be a monster. And would fair quite well in the future. And in about 3 years or more, when you want more performance, you can just add the third 970 and boost performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor (£293.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 280L 122.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (£154.98 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£171.70 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£90.00 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£90.00 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£164.93 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£265.95 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£265.95 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex Gold 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£108.49 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1785.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-04 00:27 GMT+0000

Hanutech

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014

The Netherlands. Updated original post.
George Mulligan & Rookie Of The Year. I will go over your suggestions.
and get back to you with an educated response later this night. Thank You for your fast responses.

Hanutech

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
Good Day

I underestemated how long it would take me to respond.

Do you mean the "samsung 840 series pro 512 GB" instead of "Crucial MX100 512GB"
The 840 is slightly smaller in size and a litle faster overall, but also quite a bit more expensive.
Can you explain to me any justification for taking that one over the Crucial? Its also slightly more
power efficient, but no great differences as far as I could tell. Or does the quality of Crucial MX100
storage degrade faster than the Samsung 840 pro?

Thanks for the Hard Disk Suggestion. I would probably have taken the same one if I had searched
for it on my own.

Does that ram come in DDR4. Couldnt find any that did following the G skill Trident naming convention.
Did find G skill Ripjaws and Value though. Blue and black fall best in my color scheme.

I dont think I want to go for water cooling on my first build. Maybe in the future. If the sound annoys me or the temps get to high. If I go with the graphite 760t case. I will probably have enough room so I dont have to be stingy about that. From what I can tel I wil be able to mount the DH15 correctly.

Thank You for the feedback.

Hanutech

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
Good Day

Well I already got the I7 5820 K but also the motherboard and Graphics Card. So I wil not be going for the MSI counterparts. Although I would really apreciate why you would go for those parts instead of the ones I have l have bought so far.

Also why the 2 x 256 instead of 1 x 512

As for the case suggestions. It looks nice enough, but it seems a little bit cramped, and I honestly dont need that many external bays. It does look flashy though, The 760t looks a bit more plain, but I wil take that for utilities sake. It so easy to open up and mess arround with and lighter and as far as I can tel completely Steel.

I would rather go for air cooling on my first try.
Ram seens fine, I wil take it into consideration.

Power Supply. Do I need a 1000 wats? Cal me a diva, but the 80 gold seems a bit low. I like my power supply stable. Anyways i am fairly new to all this. So explanations of why you would chose your poroducts above else are helpful and insightful.

Thank you for your reply.

Hanutech

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
Also I bought my stuf from a webshop called Azerty, because I have good experiences with their services, regardles they are not the cheapest. Their like the middle of the road, does anyone know a place to buy PC parts cheaper of which you can vouche for their quality. Shops like Neweg and Amazon are not an option due to shipping costs.
Thank You.

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
A 1000W power supply is a bad choice. PSUs are most efficient at their 50% rating. Your system will be operating at 150-300W depending on idling or hard gaming. With a large PSU, you would lose efficiency operating at such a low level, wasting money on the unneeded capacity AND the efficiency loss. A high quality 500W PSU is good for what you need. If you want a little extra headroom, say for possibly adding SLI later, then your AX760i should be the absolute max.

Hanutech

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014

My thoughts exactly. So lets say I succesfully overclock my CPU and 3 way SLI graphic 970gtx graphic cards, how much wattage would go into that max? The 750 W was a peace of mind choiche at best, knowing I had the energetical room. So this 760i works best if I have a wattage usage of 380 wats if I understand you correctly?

I'm sorry...I'm not sure why I chose the 2 X 256. I think it was a mistake. You are right to go with the 1 X 512 SSD.