Good Afternoon to you all!

My current design for my first rig is;
Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 350D
Mobo - Asus P8H77-M
CPU - Intel Core i3 3220 3.30GHz
CPU Cooler - Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler
RAM - Corsair 16GB DDR 1600MHz
PSU - Corsair CX750M - 750w
SSD - Crucial M4 128GB SATA III 6gb/s (primary for software, OS etc)
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB (secondary for data storage, films, music etc)
GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GT640 2GB PCIe 3.0
Sound Card - CREATIVE sound blaster z
OS - Windows 7 64-bit
Speakers - CREATIVE gigaworks t40 series II
Monitor - LG IPS224v 22" LED (1920 x 1080)
Fan Controller - Akasa AK-FC-08BK 6-fan Controller
Fans - Corsair SP120 High Performance Edition (62.74CFM)

If you would kindly comment with your thoughts on my build, and any reccomendations for changes or alterations, it would be much appreciated :)

(If your wondering why im going with the i3, its because im on a tight budget... Im already on approx £1,400.00 GBP or $2,130.00 USD.)

Solution
1. You do not need a discrete sound card unless you are doing high quality audio work on your computer. Is this how you make al iving? If not, onboard audio from your motherboard is more than sufficient for listening to music, playing games and general use. The only other time discrete audio is really justified is if you've got a quality home theatre 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system, and even then the difference will be marginal.

2 I don't know why everyone is suggesting unlocked ("K") processors if the OP indicated he WILL NOT BE OVERCLOCKING. I know we are all enthusiasts here on Toms and want to push a hardcore gaming rig on anybody whose got the budget, but an unlocked processor and Z77 mobo are not necessities, let alone the...

jinayhvora

Honorable

+1 to all this

Dayle McNeela

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

Thanks for getting back to me!
Firstly, I will not be overclocking.
Secondly, Gaming isn't what i'm building for... but will most likely do a little, can you suggest a decent gaming GPU?
Third, Ive checked all the "product specification" wattage on all my components, it equates to 572w but Ive put in 750w for expandability.

The main reason for this build is so I have an extremely quick computer (i.e. turns on in 15sec for full boot etc)
Ill mainly use it for surfing, microsoft, light game (at the moment) and various software.

Michael-CCH

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
I don't think you really need a sound card, and if you're really getting one. PLEASE don't get the creative ones. I also don't see a reason why you need to get a fan control, because Corsair comes with a program to control your H60 Fans. 2130 USD is not a tight budget, you can get way better things with that budget.
Here's my reccomendation:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Aprightioulous/saved/1YG9

Why I chose the parts:

CPU: i5-3570k: A great unlocked CPU with high potential of getting high speed of Ghz

Cooler: Corsair H80i: Has great cooling ability, can change stock fans in future but already has great speed in default fans.

Mobo: Asrock Z77 Pro-4: Great mobo to overclock on, has lots of great functions to use.

RAM: G-Skillz RipJaw 16GB: Doesn't get too hot like Vengeance RAM and is worth the money it goes for

SSD: OCZ Agility 3: A very fast SSD and is worth the price of it.

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB: 7200 RPM with a gigantic storage of 2TB

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 770: Can run any games MAX with ULTRA/HIGH Setting in 1920x1080 if your gaming.

Sound Card (Optional): Asus Xonar DSX: Recommended by alot and is way better than other ones out there currently.

The others are mostly your choices of look. Hope it helped and you could choose this as the best answer!

EDIT: If your rig is mainly not for gaming, lower your GPU, and get a better CPU. My suggestion is to get a GTX 660Ti and a i7 3770, K if you want to overclock. I'd prefer getting the K because it's not too pricey and if you really wanted to overclock you could.

Dayle McNeela

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

Can you tell me why you don't think I need a sound card?
Also, what is wrong with CREATIVE sound cards? I've look at all the reviews on them and not seen anything bad so far...
Also, I'll be using 1 x H60 Liquid Cooler (for CPU) and 5 x Corsair SP120s (but i only have 2-3 fan connectors on my motherboard)

I've just looked at your recommendations, nice set up btw, I have already got my Corsair 350D... I do want an i5 so i guess i'll just the boat out for that, can this be overclocked with the same set up as above, but with the i5-3570?

Dayle McNeela

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

I think im going to go with the i5-3750? and hmm... the graphic card says its 350w on it own... and I live in England, United Kingdom

Michael-CCH

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

I believe you can only overclock chips with K or are unlocked. You could try overclocking CPU's without getting a K, but it would be dangerous and there won't be lots of improvement.

Michael-CCH

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

You should really look at these, they're called DAC's.

Watch a video explaining it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2PCt-LQXzI

Dayle McNeela

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

That video didn't help at all... But the comments say it only work with an amplifier...
DAC or high end sound card?

Dayle McNeela

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

Yes, the sound card is only for music :)

Dayle McNeela

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

I apologize, I meant the i5-3570K (the one you suggested)

Michael-CCH

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

For the overclocking, you'll need to get P8H77-M PRO version. I believe you can still OC without the pro version, but with the pro version you will be able to overclock.

EDIT: You cant overclock with a H77. My mistake.

Michael-CCH

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Plus since I just realized, you really don't need to spend 1300 pounds on a for surfing, microsoft, light game (at the moment) and various software. Unless you're going to play some games, or else it'll be a complete waste of money, although this machine will be future proof for the coming 4 - 5 years.

Michael-CCH

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

Yeh, I know but I believe this will also work, i've checked it out online and it says it works so. :/ But you should really get a Z77, that'll definitely be able to overclock.

EDIT: H77 can not oc. My mistake

Cpt Underpants

Honorable
Jun 29, 2013
1. You do not need a discrete sound card unless you are doing high quality audio work on your computer. Is this how you make al iving? If not, onboard audio from your motherboard is more than sufficient for listening to music, playing games and general use. The only other time discrete audio is really justified is if you've got a quality home theatre 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system, and even then the difference will be marginal.

2 I don't know why everyone is suggesting unlocked ("K") processors if the OP indicated he WILL NOT BE OVERCLOCKING. I know we are all enthusiasts here on Toms and want to push a hardcore gaming rig on anybody whose got the budget, but an unlocked processor and Z77 mobo are not necessities, let alone the liquid cpu cooler. A Cooler Mastery Hyper 212 Evo is MORE THAN SUFFICIENT for even light overclocking (if the OPk has determined he will actually overclock), and runs for $35 max.

3. i5 vs. i7. The only material difference between the two is Hyperthreading technology enabled for i7's. Read around on these forums and many others and you'll learn that hyperthreading has NO BENEFIT to gaming, general use or anything other than HD video rendering, where it's effect will actually be noticeable.

3. 16Gb of RAM is more than overkill for gaming, internet, music, microsoft and anything else that is NOT High Def video production work. 8Gb is more than enough for everything else.

As was previously mentioned, your budget is quite high and capable of an awesome rig, but you must decide if it is really worth spending it all. A wise man once said that just because you can, does not mean you should. The sweet spot for value when building your own computer is around $1200-$1500, after that diminishing returns go WAY up.

Take-aways:

If you do not want to overclock, a regular i5 3570 and non Z77 mobo will work great. Otherwise, 3570k and Z77 mobo if you think you might dabble in OC'ing in the future. A Hyper 212 Evo should be the only aftermarket cooler you are looking at whether for keeping your CPU cooler and quieter at stock settings or running light overclocks (many people get up to 4.4Ghz with a 212, but I would suggest 4.2 to be comfortable, and that is only if you actually need the eprformance; remember OC'ing WILL reduce the useful life of the CPU).

16Gb of RAM is completely unwarranted. Simply put, more is not always better (or in very particular circumstances).

If gaming is not a main concern of yours, but you want the capability, I would suggest a GeForce GTX 760. You are the exact person these mid-range cards are made for. Costing around $250-$270, you can't go wrong. the next level up GTX 770 is $400+, but will run any game at any game at max settings. Both are great cards, but again, you must decide how important gaming is TO YOU to decide what you want to get, because I guarantee you most people on these forums are gamers and will almost always jam a high performance GPU into their recommended builds.

I can see youe asily being able to build an amazing computer that can do everything you want for $1500 tops and putting the remainder of your budget in the bank to start saving for your next build. You'll get far more CONSISTENT performance over the eyars if you build something good every 2-3 years than building something EPIIIIIIC in year 1 and stretching it 5 or 6 years. Awesome rigs from 5 years ago would get destroyed by even last years mid-range CPUs & GPUs.

Food for thought

Solution

Dayle McNeela

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013

As i've said, Ive used certain parts for expand-ability.. and in all honestly, i proberly will be gaming, after all, what sort of teenager (17yrs) can resist abit of gaming :p