Building my first pc, opinions?1

Apr 18, 2018
Hey guys. This is my first post on tomshardware and also my first actual pc build from scratch! I have done modifications to previous pcs but haven't built one.

Anyway, here is my list of components;
MSI Gaming OC 1080ti
Intel i7 7800x
ASRock x299 k6 mobo
16GB vengeance Ram
My seagate hdd (adding Samsung 960 evo ssd later)
Corsair H100i v2 water cooler for CPU
An XFX TS gold series 750W PSU
All packed into a corsair 570x case

Pretty confident it will be a nice machine when it's finished, however I'm just looking for some tips on actually executing the build. Like for instance, what I can do with all the cables I don't use because my PSU is non modular, or if anything will be throttled or bottlenecked.

Solution
I understand what you want about upgradability BUT, a single processor on this plateform costs almost a board+processor on the Z370 (and surely Z390 later)
The mainstream plateform (Z370 for expample) is more powerfull with less power consumption.

Just compare the i7 7800x (140W) with the i7 8700k(95). Both are 6 core 12 threads but the 8700k deliver more power with less power consumption which means less heat to dissipate, no need to bigger power supply etc...

Since when do you have your power supply? If it have some years, perhaps it's time to change.

You're right, the H100i is "OK".
It's just that I'm not an AIO guy but an Air guy, if you know what I mean ;)

Rodolphe.

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Hi CodyBoi,

Your build looks like a gaming/light editing rig. Is it your usage?

First,the i7 7800x is a 6 cores 12 threads processor. So the same than 8700K.

The 8700k is more powerfull and cheaper than the 7800x. So, you should look at the Z370 plateform.
The money you saved thanks to the plateform could be spent in an SSD right now ooor in a better CPU Cooler.

About the power supply, I really don't know this Brand, it seems ok according to some rewiews but it's quite a bit expensive for what it is, you should look at corsair PSU.

Let us know about what you think.

Rodolphe.

Apr 18, 2018
Thanks, yeah it's a gaming rig, I decided to go with the skylake processors just for the simple fact of having a 2066 motherboard so that it's easier for me to upgrade in the future :) I also already have the psu because I put it inside my last prebuilt that I upgraded aha.

As far as I was aware, the h100i was a pretty good cooler? Though I may be wrong.

But thanks for the response, I'll keep that in mind :)

rodolphe.viard

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
I understand what you want about upgradability BUT, a single processor on this plateform costs almost a board+processor on the Z370 (and surely Z390 later)
The mainstream plateform (Z370 for expample) is more powerfull with less power consumption.

Just compare the i7 7800x (140W) with the i7 8700k(95). Both are 6 core 12 threads but the 8700k deliver more power with less power consumption which means less heat to dissipate, no need to bigger power supply etc...

Since when do you have your power supply? If it have some years, perhaps it's time to change.

You're right, the H100i is "OK".
It's just that I'm not an AIO guy but an Air guy, if you know what I mean ;)

Rodolphe.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS