Question Building my first PC, should I go straight to a mechanical keyboard ?

Aug 19, 2022
Hey Guys,

So my GPU is late and I can't set up my PC without it so now I'm browsing options for keyboards o_O
I'm a console player and that would be my first PC and my first time playing on PC.

I was wondering if mechanical keyboard really were better or not ? Should I buy a mechanical and start with them to get used to it and it would be better to start with a regular one ? Is the extra $$ worth it ?

Thanks !

No one type of keyboard is going to be "better" than another, its all about personal preference and build quality.
My recommendation would be going to a store and playing around with display keyboards, get a feel for all the different types.

For example, MX reds are a popular switch for gaming, but I personally find them too "mushy" for regular use, since they dont have any feedback to let you know when the button was fully pressed. So I use MX browns, they work great for gaming, but I do more outside of games so I like the tactile feedback way more. But its all personal preference.

Reactions: Jeeremy7
Aug 19, 2022
Ahhh ok good point I didn't think of that.. I for sure want some sort of feedback to know that my button was pressed.
I was worrying that the reaction time would be higher in mechanical since it's bigger but that may be a stupid thought

Mechanical keys have differing levels of actuation force, some are very easy to press (lightweight) and other have short travel distances meaning you dont have to move the key much to activate them.
If you want something with feedback MX browns or similar are the way to go, there is a tactile bump when activated, but no super obnoxious clack like MX blues.
There are also some other hybrid switches, which are a cross between mechanical and scissor switches (common on laptops) resulting in very low profile keycaps with mechanical feel.

I went from a slim membrane razer keyboard to my Corsair K70, and the taller keys were a bit of a challenge to get used to at first, but only because I had used a low profile keyboard for years.

I was worrying that the reaction time would be higher in mechanical since it's bigger but that may be a stupid thought
it really depends on the type of switch.

i tried ~5 different types of Cherry MX and other "mechanical" switches before choosing my current keyboard and i can tell you i like them better in any scenario vs Chiclet or other low-profile keys.

i also chose the Cherry MX Brown and, at least for me, they are a better option for typing / gaming / image editing / etc vs the others i tried.

Aug 19, 2022
Ok thanks a lot for your help ! I was actually eyeing that Corsair the last 2 days .. lol
Thanks for the lesson tho I didn't know there was different mechanical colors, I just checked on internet

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
I ended up taking the Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with brown keys and I love it !
Very Solid Choice. I have used brown on many a keyboard. Right now I have the Corsair K100 with their fancy new OPX Switch.
1mm travel, I just brush the key and it goes off. I love it too. Corsair makes a good keyboard. Be warned, I had an early k95, and one day I spilled a beer into it and it never worked again.

Aug 19, 2022
Niice yes I wanted to have that mechanical feeling for the first. That's why I went with the brown but those OPX seems perfect for fast paced games !
Note to myself do not spill anything on it :p
Thanks !