[SOLVED] building my first server could use some help. (graphics card & powersupply)

Mar 14, 2019
So im building my first server and im kinda confused about the power supply they use and what graphics card they would support. Like how does the power supply plug into the motherboard and power the graphics card. Is there a watt limit on the PCIe slots. How many graphics cards can I get in it? More would be nice. What do i have to search up to find a dual power supply for it? most server power supply I find are ones without cables, Does it not need cables? What connectors does it use? im using a dell r910 with a couple e7 8870 havent bought a case yet so I wouldnt mind a recommandation of a dual power supply, case and a couple graphics cards.I dont mind sticking a bunch of low powered graphics cards in it if it mean i can get more then one. I posted this on reddit but no dice, this is my first post if i can post this in a better place please tell me. Thank You!

Solution
Thanks, so how will the power supply work? there arent any cables coming out the power supplys i looked up online. Thanks for your help.

Okay... So just like i said. The server (Dell R910) you mentioned using a type of server PSU called redundant power supply units.
The way it worked or the structures is: it contains 3 parts at least.
The main thing is the PSU housing, then there are two PSU inside of it. The link COLgeek provided above is the PSU. You can insert those two PSU inside one PSU housing. All 3 parts together making one completed PSU....
Does this make sense to you?
After all, the cables you are looking for are actually coming out of the PSU main housing. Normally, those cables are 20Pins or 20+2 that connect to the...
Mar 14, 2019
  1. For PSU. If you need more PSU, you meant redundant power supply. I think that's what you meant. For redantdunt power supply, most of them are supported by the motherboard and the case maker. Like supermicro, they will have specific redandunt power supply. To which this, it will have a psu housing and you can have two psu at the same time. But, they are most like just to one back up another. It was not the case to provide more watts that you asked.
  2. For GPUs. Super micro(the server motherboar maker) also has some case with just barebone, that support multiple GPU installed. Say, 2-3.
i just went ahead and read out the dell r910 you refered to, it does support 4x redandunt psu. So....4x750watt or 4x1000 watt....For more GPU that you asking...THis server has only 1*16X slot which means you can only plug in one GPU...you cant plug in more then one to do SLI or crossfire if you want to....

Mar 14, 2019
  1. For PSU. If you need more PSU, you meant redundant power supply. I think that's what you meant. For redantdunt power supply, most of them are supported by the motherboard and the case maker. Like supermicro, they will have specific redandunt power supply. To which this, it will have a psu housing and you can have two psu at the same time. But, they are most like just to one back up another. It was not the case to provide more watts that you asked.
  2. For GPUs. Super micro(the server motherboar maker) also has some case with just barebone, that support multiple GPU installed. Say, 2-3.
i just went ahead and read out the dell r910 you refered to, it does support 4x redandunt psu. So....4x750watt or 4x1000 watt....For more GPU that you asking...THis server has only 1*16X slot which means you can only plug in one GPU...you cant plug in more then one to do SLI or crossfire if you want to....

Thanks, so how will the power supply work? there arent any cables coming out the power supplys i looked up online. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019
What will this server be doing? Typically, servers need very little in terms of GPUs. Just a minimal capability to use while installing the OS and configuring the system. So, you really need only one for most uses.

Ah im not sure yet im just restoreing it for now but if could get multiple low powered cheap gpus it would have been nice. Im just obsessed with have multiple things just work together like clusters, Its nice. You think you can help me with the power supplys?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019

Okay... So just like i said. The server (Dell R910) you mentioned using a type of server PSU called redundant power supply units.
The main thing is the PSU housing, then there are two PSU inside of it. The link COLgeek provided above is the PSU. You can insert those two PSU inside one PSU housing. All 3 parts together making one completed PSU....
After all, the cables you are looking for are actually coming out of the PSU main housing. Normally, those cables are 20Pins or 20+2 that connect to the server motherboard. Perhaps some 4PIN power cables which we would called it Molex type 4PIN which provide VCC(5V, red.),GND*2, 12V for the hard drive. Some of those redandunt power supply might not even have sata power. Instead, it connect directly to the server motherboard and server motherbaord provides power cable connection to the hard drive.

For your another questions again, This Dell R910 only has 1 PCIe X16 slot. which means, you can only connect one GPU to this server... The other PCIe slots are either X8 or X4 and X2. All those X8,X4 X2 slots are mostly for either NIC, RAID or accelerated cards. None of these are what you are looking for...

Solution
Mar 14, 2019

What will this server be doing? Typically, servers need very little in terms of GPUs. Just a minimal capability to use while installing the OS and configuring the system. So, you really need only one for most uses.
After all, the cables you are looking for are actually coming out of the PSU main housing. Normally, those cables are 20Pins or 20+2 that connect to the server motherboard. Perhaps some 4PIN power cables which we would called it Molex type 4PIN which provide VCC(5V, red.),GND*2, 12V for the hard drive. Some of those redandunt power supply might not even have sata power. Instead, it connect directly to the server motherboard and server motherbaord provides power cable connection to the hard drive.

For your another questions again, This Dell R910 only has 1 PCIe X16 slot. which means, you can only connect one GPU to this server... The other PCIe slots are either X8 or X4 and X2. All those X8,X4 X2 slots are mostly for either NIC, RAID or accelerated cards. None of these are what you are looking for...
Thank you so much for your help this is exactly what i was looking for. Appreciate you took the time to help me, Thanks again!