Question Building my own external HD or buying one?

Rick_S

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
My current WD My Book external hard drive is making noise, and so I want to replace it before it completely dies. I see shells online for creating a USB 3 HD, using a 3 1/2" Hard drive. Price is a concern, but secondary. Does anyone know if the DIY kits work well? Any comparisons? Thank you.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Assuming you simply mean whats the difference between buying an enclosure and putting your own drive in vs buying a prebuilt external HDD?

If so, no real difference, it's effectively all external HDDs are, internal HDD's, in an enclosure. Usually pre-made ones are a little cheaper as they just bulk manufacturer them, but you can control what HDD goes into the enclosure with your own, and swap round with different ones accordingly.

Reactions: Rick_S

Rick_S

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Hi PC Tailor, Yes that it what I meant. I know that the pre-built ones tend to be cheaper, like buying a car from a dealer, as opposed to buying the parts and doing it myself! I've just learned to check periodically, when I haven't checked something in 5 or 10 years, because things have changed, when I wasn't looking, :D

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi PC Tailor, Yes that it what I meant. I know that the pre-built ones tend to be cheaper, like buying a car from a dealer, as opposed to buying the parts and doing it myself! I've just learned to check periodically, when I haven't checked something in 5 or 10 years, because things have changed, when I wasn't looking, :D
I simply have one enclosure that is interchangeable, I have a lot of spare hard drives, so I just plug and play whichever one I need into the enclosure and done.

I buy pre-built ones for others usually just because they're slightly cheaper.

In actual form, there's effectively no difference except the OEM will decide what HDD to put inside their enclosure, and then seal it.

Reactions: Rick_S

popatim

Titan
Yes there are many good enclosures & docks but also many mediocre ones as well.
Prebuilt is almost always cheaper from the name brands.

Lastly, there are many 2.5" external drives that only have a USB drive inside and no Sata port at all.