[SOLVED] Building my own PC first time, should this build work nicely?

Solution
This makes a lot more sense for a gaming machine. That M.2 NVME drive is wonderful, unfortunately (And yes, I have one) it does NOTHING at all for gaming performance aside from making loading times for levels and textures a bit shorter. But since a normal SSD is practically zero wait time anyhow, half of zero is really no gain. For gaming you are just as well off with an SATA SSD as that M.2 NVME drive. If you are running some high end applications that can utilize it or are doing a lot of large file transfers to or from that drive, then you might see a benefit.

Honestly, I wish I'd just bought a larger SATA SSD than this M.2 drive because about the only thing it realistically improves for me is opening my graphics programs.

Also...

Looks good. I'd personally go for the BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 for the CPU cooler, and maybe get a beefier motherboard to match the quality of your CPU (something like a ROG Strix). But in the theory the build is solid.

Don't forget to get some additional fans and a Wifi dongle if you're not using ethernet. Easy to forget.

skyfire52

Reputable
Dec 17, 2018

Thanks, is there anything specific I should look for for extra fans?

WildCard999

Titan
Nice build, nothing I would change except aesthetics, going from the Noctua to a Be Quiet Dark Rock 4/Pro would look better in that case matching the Black theme and would be good for cooling. The two fans it comes with works good for exhaust but you may want to add two in for intake, I did that in my build (same case but White) although changed them to LED.

4L23wYP.jpg

skyfire52

Reputable
Dec 17, 2018

Looks aren't a massive deal to me since i'm not looking at my PC when using it, ignoring aesthetics, would the cooler still be fine?

This makes a lot more sense for a gaming machine. That M.2 NVME drive is wonderful, unfortunately (And yes, I have one) it does NOTHING at all for gaming performance aside from making loading times for levels and textures a bit shorter. But since a normal SSD is practically zero wait time anyhow, half of zero is really no gain. For gaming you are just as well off with an SATA SSD as that M.2 NVME drive. If you are running some high end applications that can utilize it or are doing a lot of large file transfers to or from that drive, then you might see a benefit.

Honestly, I wish I'd just bought a larger SATA SSD than this M.2 drive because about the only thing it realistically improves for me is opening my graphics programs.

Also, that U12S cooler would work, but this would be much better for that 8 core chip, and more importantly, it will do a better job QUIETER.

You don't need to pay for a boxed CPU unless you really think the longer warranty matters. Typically, unless YOU break the CPU (Which won't be covered under warranty anyhow), CPUs don't break, fail or die for a very long time. Heck, I still have a Phenom II and an FX-8320, both overclocked, that have been running fine for many years and will probably continue to do so for a great many more.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor (£369.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (£56.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£139.98 @ Novatech)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£110.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£147.98 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£91.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card (£779.00 @ Box Limited)
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£71.99 @ AWD-IT)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£123.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1891.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-21 19:52 GMT+0000

Or if you want a cooler that doesn't have a brown fan (Which you could easily change out for the Noctua NF-A14 chromax.black.swap fan later anyhow), then this is an excellent option with terrific performance as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor (£369.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright - Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler (£43.47 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£139.98 @ Novatech)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£110.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£147.98 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda Compute 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£91.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card (£779.00 @ Box Limited)
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£71.99 @ AWD-IT)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£123.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1878.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-21 19:58 GMT+0000

Solution

When picking fans, you need to look at two things
1. Size: See if your case supports 120mm or 140mm fans. Sometimes, it will support something like three 120mm fans or two 140mm fans. So check how many come with the tower already and find out how many more you can get.
2. Specs: There are 3 technical values when looking at fans:
a. CFM (or M3/H for metric system): This is how much air it can blow/suck.
b. mm H20: This is static pressure, better for tight areas or for water cooler as it's hard for the air to pass through.
c. dB/A: Noise level if you're worried about making something quiet.

If you don't want to go too much into technical details, adding fans is better than none. In general:
- Noctua is one of the best but very expensive
- BeQuiet! are the best for quiet fans
- Corsair, ThermalTake Cooler Master have their ups and downs but they're still on the pricier side of things.

The H500 comes with two included 120mm fans for the top and back. The front can support two 120mm or two 140mm fans so I would suggest 140mm as you would not only get more airflow but it'll also generally be quieter. Since RGB is out of the question for the front, you can go for something like a BeQuiet for something quiet. Unless you move the two include fans to the front so you can get two RGB fans (1 for back and 1 for top) if you're into that stuff.

Hope that helps.

High static pressure fans are desirable for all intake fans, radiator fans or heatsink fans. All of those types of fans will usually encounter significant resistance to airflow, so having fans with higher static pressure is desirable in those applications.

Exhaust fans do not face much resistance, so using fans with high static pressure is not necessary in those locations, however, USING them will not hurt anything either. Technically, you generally want fans with the highest CFM and highest static pressure you can reasonably afford to purchase for intakes, heatsinks or radiators. Exhaust fans, the static pressure is not very important but high airflow (CFM) is generally desirable.

For most configurations 2 x120mm, 2 x140mm or some combination of the two for both intake and exhaust are sufficient. WHEN possible, using a 140mm fan is much preferred as you are able to move an equivalent amount of air as a 120mm fan at a lower RPM resulting in a lower overal noise level.

Negative pressure configurations offer the BEST cooling performance. Positive pressure configurations offer dust suppression. Neutral pressure, with an equal, or nearly equal amount of airflow coming in as what is going out, offers a good solution that meets both types halfway. This is the MOST recommended configuration. If you want the best cooling performance, then you might not only add another exhaust fan to that top rear position like I said, but make sure it is a high CFM model AND also maybe replace the current rear exhaust fan with a model that has a higher CFM rating as well.

BeQuiet fans are only good in regard to noise levels, and that is only because they tend to run their fans at a maximum RPM that is significantly lower than most other comparably sized fans. They are good for systems that don't need great cooling and silence is more important, although you can technically do that with any fan by adjusting the fan curve in the bios and capping it at a speed that is acceptable.

If performance is more important, I would stick to fans by Noctua (And yes, they have black models now so you are not stuck with baby poop brown), Thermalright (Not to be confused with Thermaltake) or even possibly the EVGA FX 140 or 120m fans which move a lot of air but are a bit noisier than these others. Corsair Maglev fans are also fairly good.