Building my own TV-based "traditional" console.

G

Hello there! ;-) I'm thinking of building my own console.

I understand the very basics, I'm simply aware of what components you need (motherboard, CPU, GPU?, SSD/HDD...)

I need to know more about how to put it together and compatibility issues that may arise.

I am, by the way, looking at building A BUDGET CONSOLE. That's kind of the whole point. The idea is to build something that will run more advanced games than say, Mario Kart, but to keep to a budget, so I'm obviously not aiming for something capable of CoD, Gran Turismo or any high end games like that.

I'll probably run linux or android on it to start with, and then with the help of a friend, I'm going to make my own OS. Eventually we'll be developing our own games.

To Summarize:

• ■Medium Hardware Demand Games (indie style basics like Dino Run and The Other Brothers up to the kind of games a smartphone could cope with, Asphalt 8, Jetpack Joyride...)

■A browser of some sort will be built in (more my concern when developing the OS)

■Apps (Twitter, Facebook, Vine, Instagram, some kind of a pin-to-home "notebook" (maybe) and so on...

BUDGET!!!!

■Any suggestions for where to source a case and controller? I might end up getting my own case and controller custom made, but for now, I'd be happy using those items that are meant for another console/PC...

■A graphics card? I'm not sure if you'd need one. On the other hand, I don't know why you wouldn't! =D hahahaha But I'd like it to have decent graphics. HD if possible.

■And don't forget to include basic instructions as to how to actually put it together! =) I wouldn't mind if you referenced an article/walkthrough, but if it misses anything out, I'll have to ask questions back here.

And the only reason I'm having to ask this here (on the note of the last bullet point) is because I have looked around to see if there are any tutorials on how to build your own console, but no luck. I couldn't find a thing. Not anything that was what I was looking for. The closest thing I found was some guy building his own Steambox. But that used Steambox parts. I'd like to use odd bits and bobs made from different companies and do a custom build.

Thanks people =)

USAFRet

Titan
Find a case you like. There are many that might fit that size and use.
Build around whatever will fit inside. FOr games, yes, you will need a GPU of some sort.

"and then with the help of a friend, I'm going to make my own OS."
This may be an issue....;)

PCBuilderProbs

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015
when deciding to build a computer, you should (generally) first take into account the CPU (processor), GPU (graphics card) and amount of RAM along with what motherboard you will use. Then consider the rest of the parts around those parts.

G

OK, thanks =) That's really helpful. How would I find out if my other hardware (CPU, GPU...) is compatible with the board I choose?

And how much of a difference is there between the hardware in a PC and the hardware in a console? =/

UPDATE:
I get an error 505 when I try to upload a new avatar on Tom's Hardware. I'm running lubuntu 15.04 with the latest version of Firefox.

G

OK, nice idea with the case. Might inhibit me a bit as to what I can put in there if I choose the wrong one. Plus, where do you suggest I get one that isn't just an old Xbox or PS case?

G

And any suggestions as to what kind of stuff to go for? AMD/Intel (and which models...), any preferable motherboards? And so on...

And do I need a graphics card? Is that replaced by the GPU? And do I need a GPU as well as a CPU? I may have basic knowledge, but I'm still a newbie to this and want to make sure I get it right =) ;-) Hahaha

USAFRet

Titan

If this is for games, you will need a GPU.
If it is for just movies/music, the integrated graphics in an AMD APU, or Intel CPU would work.

PCBuilderProbs

Reputable
Mar 24, 2015

for gaming you will want to get a GPU and a CPU. With Intel chips, they have graphics in the CPU chip itself but they're not really made for gaming at all. So, you'll want to get a GPU too. From this point it's really about how much you want to spend. Your budget will determine your gaming performance. If you're on a tight budget you may want to go with an AMD FX processor. If you have a bit more to spend you can go for an i5 processor. Both will give you good performance in games. Whether you go AMD or Intel will determine what motherboard you will need to get (AMD chips use AMD mobos, Intel chips use Intel mobos).Then the GPU is completely up to you.

Basically, what it amounts to is your entire gaming performance will come from your combination of GPU and CPU, and RAM can impact it if you use too little

G

OK, that's a brill selection, but I was looking for more budget. @PCBuilderProbs On that(<) note, I'm on a paper round ATM (only 14 yrs old =D hahaha) so once I get a job, due to lack of many monthly expenses (no car, very little rent...) money won't be much of a problem. But I might market this in a few years, probably with a Kickstarter launch, and I'd like to add another budget console to the market. Thus, it's not really my own money that's the problem. It's the fact that I'm building this in mind of gamers who don't have much money. Hopefully my console will do more than just rival th GameStick and Ouya. POST-EDIT: So preferably half as much as what the budget was on that build from @Woody1999 (about £150)
And BTW, @PCBuilderProbs, great info. =) Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
But I might market this in a few years, probably with a Kickstarter launch, and I'd like to add another budget console to the market. Thus, it's not really my own money that's the problem. It's the fact that I'm building this in mind of gamers who don't have much money.

Consider this:
A PC based 'console replacement' is simply a gaming PC in a different shaped case. The parts inside are all the same.

G

So could I actually have a GPU, CPU and Graphics Card if the intention was not to build a budget console?! And about the APU idea from Woody, can an APU replace or work along side a CPU/GPU, or is it a sub-type of CPU/GPU?

And would virtually any motherboard take all of those? Or do I need to look especially hard for a certain type of motherboard that would be compatible?

Woody1999

Admirable
Motherboards come in certain sockets, which are then divided into certain chipsets. If you have an LGA1150 processor, then you must get a LGA1150 socket motherboard, however, you can pick any chipset you like. Does that make sense? As far as APUs go, they're just normal processors with slightly stronger graphics capabilities than normal, so they still work with any graphics card.

Anyway... A gaming HTPC on £150 budget, now you're really pushing it ;) I'll see what I can do.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/NBFR8d

Okay it's just not happening. £200 is the lowest I can go before we head into tablet PC specs. By the way, I'm only 15, so don't feel embarrased that you're 14, it's good to know that us kids are delving into this kinda stuff.

Woody

G

And how would it be that I would identify the processor type? (e.g: LGA1150...)

I'm not embarrassed! Hahahahhaha lol. Nah, it's just that I ain't exactly rollin' in money. =D Plus, I'm saving for a laptop as well, so even if I did get more dosh, it'd still be going toward a laptop. =) Thanks. (I'm somewhat new to the hardware side of things altogether. OS, software, programming, hacking, fixy stuff... Can do all that. But I've never had reason to deal with hardware.)

Woody1999

Admirable
You can just see in the specifications of the processor. Eventually you'll get to learn the different sockets for the different names of processors, they tend to follow a pattern...well, some AMD ones don't.

Here are some examples:

Intel
LGA1150 - i5 4690K
LGA1155 - i5 3570K/i5 2500K
LGA1156 - i5 750
LGA775 - Core 2 Quad Q8300 (my old beauty)

AMD
AM3+ - FX-6300
FM2+ - Athlon X4 860K
FM2 - Athlon X4 760K
AM1 - AMD 5350

The latest Intel socket is LGA1150 (excluding extreme edition sockets)
The latest AMD socket is FM2+, but the most powerful processors on their lineup are still on the AM3+ socket. Most APU processors are on the FM2+ socket.

Woody

Edit: I've PM'd you with some info on how to build the PC, Mario.

G

P.S: I said that when I try to upload an avatar I get error 505. I typed wrong. it's error 500. Should I just wait it out? I hear the error 500 is web-server based, not client-based...

Woody1999

Admirable

Which image formats have you tried?

It seems likely that it is a forum problem, my iPad shows no images on the forum and it loads very slowly on my PC and my iPad.

Woody

G

.jpg and .jpeg

ACCIDENTALLY MARKED AS SOLVED Oops! =D

P.S: Any idea where the Firefox Tom's Hardware add-on went? I used to have it. It was dead useful. But after reinstalling linux I lost all my add-ons. (Since then I vowed to always use FF Sync)