Building my pc, asking for suggestions.

apmal

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
As I was previously informed about my rig not being capable of upgrading effectively, I decided to build my own pc, however I am not really an expert so I would like for opinions/suggestions.

The parts I chose and hopefuly are compactible:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 3,6GHz
Motherboard:MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4
GPU:Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB (found single and dual fan ones, not sure what is the difference)
RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666
As for Storage I would stick to my old one:
Storage: Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX 1TB

Which I am not certain about are the Case and Power supply, I don't know the type of my Case nor my (Akyga) Power supply.

So in conclusion I would like to ask if the parts are compactible and if yes, which case/power supply would fit/work with it. Thank you in advance!

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
What is going to be your main usage requirement?

If you are going for a discrete GPU then don't bother with a G series CPU chip, you dont need the onboard graphics.
Instead go for the R52600.

The single fan version will have to spin faster to provide the same cooling, so may be louder.

8GB RAM will not be enough, go for at least 2x8.

You can keep your old HDD as a backup, but get a 500GB SSD for your main storage.

I agree about the Ryzen 2600. If you are getting a dedicated card and are not going to be using the 2400G's integrated graphics anyway, you might as well go for a processor with 50% more cores and threads at about the same cost, as that will likely help performance in future games.

And so long as you have a half-decent power supply, I would not go for a 1050 Ti, when you can now get a much more powerful RX 570 for about the same cost. The RX 570 gets close to 50% higher frame rates on average, making the 1050 Ti only suitable for pre-built systems with low-capacity PSUs. For a while, the prices of RX 570s were marked way up due to a shortage, but they are back down around where they should be now, making the 1050 Ti a lot less attractive.

If you are looking to cut costs, you could also probably go for a less expensive B450 board in the sub-$100 price range.

As for 8GB of RAM, most recent games can still get along fine enough with that amount so long as you don't leave things like web browsers open in the background while gaming. It's probably worth moving up to a 2x8GB kit if you can afford it though, as it probably won't be long until most new releases need more than 8GB to perform their best. You might also consider faster RAM, since that helps performance on Ryzen, and DDR4-3000 shouldn't cost much more than DDR4-2666. Just make sure to enable the faster memory profile in the BIOS settings. If you do decide to only go with 8GB, then making sure that your motherboard has four RAM slots is probably a good idea, since you will likely want to add more within the next couple years.

As for a PSU, I don't believe Akyga is a particularly good brand. Something like this Seasonic Focus Gold 550W for $50 after mail-in rebate would probably be a good option, if you're in the US. Otherwise, you might need to check pricing in your region...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KmgzK8/seasonic-focus-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm

And for a case, chances are that your existing one would work if it's a regular sized mid-tower, and not some thin, small form factor design. Otherwise, you should look at what's available for the amount you are willing to spend. You'll need to make sure the case can fit ATX motherboards (rather than just Micro-ATX or ITX) if you get a full-size ATX board like that though. You can sort the options by various criteria here...

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/overall-list/

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
a single fan card is one fan failure from death, a dual fan card can survive the failure of a fan and can limp along until the cooler/fan is replaced. dual fan cards are usually quieter to-boot.

if you can find the budget for an SSD it will drastically change the day to day speed of the PC. everything loads so fast.

TRENDING THREADS