[SOLVED] Building myself a new pc...

lecrash

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
I'm currently running a nearly 8 year old pc. It's been a blast, but I believe is time to treat myself and upgrade it. The only thing I'll be using from the old PC is the storage.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mYvNYg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($439.99 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($181.53 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($189.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($222.12 @ iSanek)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($107.46 @ iSanek)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS SGX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($157.75 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1298.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-19 13:58 EST-0500

Approximate Purchase Date: Once I get the GPU at MSRP or not ridiculously over price.

Budget Range: I would like to keep it under CAD$3000.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: I play a bunch of games at the same time while rendering. Also, would like to be able to play games like Cyberpunk in full settings.

Are you buying a monitor: Maybe upgrade them both to 144+ Hz not sure yet.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: The cheaper the better. I do have access to Microcenters.

Location: I am planning to build this in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

Parts Preferences: Ryzen/Nvidia

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: I don't have the money for double 3090 XD

Your Monitor Resolution: 2 different Asus monitors.
Asus VG248QE 24" Full HD 1920x1080 144Hz 1ms HDMI Gaming Monitor, Black
ASUS VK248H-CSM 24" Full HD 1920x1080 2ms HDMI 1.0M web cam Monitor

Additional Comments: I would also like to add a sound card, so any suggestions are welcomed. I have only built my current PC, but unless it's cheaper to buy a complete system, I would like to build it myself.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: It's been a long time since I bought something for myself. My current PC is getting slower when I'm trying to do a bunch of things at the same time. Also, my wife said it was time to upgrade XD

Last edited:
Solution
It's a nice build, the 3080 is complete overkill for 1080p though, a 3070 (even a 3060ti) would be more than enough (as you know though it's take what you can get at the moment .

Why would you need a sound card? If you really must you're limited to usb ones as theres only a single slot on the board
It's a nice build, the 3080 is complete overkill for 1080p though, a 3070 (even a 3060ti) would be more than enough (as you know though it's take what you can get at the moment .

Why would you need a sound card? If you really must you're limited to usb ones as theres only a single slot on the board

Solution

He's also doing rendering at the same time 3080 isn't over kill it is what he needs.

He's also doing rendering at the same time 3080 isn't over kill it is what he needs.

Then I'd be going with at least a matx build with more storage options, as nice as a nr200 mitx build is its just not cut out for that kind of usage at all.

Also rendering while gaming is also going to be reliant on cpu in which case a 5800x would be a way better idea.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Then I'd be going with at least a matx build with more storage options, as nice as a nr200 mitx build is its just not cut out for that kind of usage at all.

Also rendering while gaming is also going to be reliant on cpu in which case a 5800x would be a way better idea.
100% agreed would not have thought about it never really looked much into itx builds more a full to eatx build person myself make the beast yell to the computer gods..... Everyone sitting talking about their quiet systems.... Noooo fill every fans spot up make the full bore and let the computer heavens reign....

lecrash

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013

Doesn't the MOBO support 4 SATA/SSD apart from the NVME? That's plenty of storage for what I need when working on projects, since I do have external storage for backups.

As you can imagine, my hardware knowledge is a tad outdated to say the least :p

Last edited:

lecrash

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013

I'm thinking of getting a pair of new monitors down the line, so I want to plan for that. Also, yeah, I'll probably take a 3070 or 3060ti if I can.

The sound card isn't needed, I just have one on my current PC and haven't really not used one for ages, so don't know how it's affect the sound. I listen to music while working/playing, don't know if it'll be any different.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of new monitors down the line, so I want to plan for that. Also, yeah, I'll probably take a 3070 or 3060ti if I can.

The sound card isn't needed, I just have one on my current PC and haven't really not used one for ages, so don't know how it's affect the sound. I listen to music while working/playing, don't know if it'll be any different.
Meh audio cards are a 1 in 100 thing yes they help somewhat but can also be more problems later. The clarity of your audio shouldn't very any much more then a sound card if you setup audio in the bios and in windows right. Setting the right frequencys helos alot more then people realize windows doesnt just auto select it for you... It trys to sometimes but fails 98% of the time.

lecrash

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2013
Meh audio cards are a 1 in 100 thing yes they help somewhat but can also be more problems later. The clarity of your audio shouldn't very any much more then a sound card if you setup audio in the bios and in windows right. Setting the right frequencys helos alot more then people realize windows doesnt just auto select it for you... It trys to sometimes but fails 98% of the time.

Didn't know... thanks, I'll update the original post.

TRENDING THREADS