OK, so I am building a new system (just general use, some online
gaming), and have come up with the following so far. Can anyone tell me
if there are ay glaring problems, or slightly better recommendations?

Asus P4C800 Deluxe "Canterwood" Motherboard

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz E , 1MB 800 FSB Socket 478 Prescott Hyper
Threading Boxed Processor

Corsair 1GB PC3200 400MHz (2x512MB) DDR 184Pin

ATI 128MB AGP Video Card with RADEON 9800 PRO 3D Chip

Any thoughts??

BP

"not real" <"not real"@aol.com> wrote in message
> OK, so I am building a new system (just general use, some online
> gaming), and have come up with the following so far. Can anyone tell me
> if there are ay glaring problems, or slightly better recommendations?
>
> Asus P4C800 Deluxe "Canterwood" Motherboard
>
> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz E , 1MB 800 FSB Socket 478 Prescott Hyper
> Threading Boxed Processor
>
> Corsair 1GB PC3200 400MHz (2x512MB) DDR 184Pin
>
> ATI 128MB AGP Video Card with RADEON 9800 PRO 3D Chip
>
> Any thoughts??

If you are building a Windows machine you should be aware of the problem
that Windows XP SP2 is causing with prescott/E series processor MB's. A bios
patch is required. You just need to be sure you've got all the needed update
files on hand when you build if you plan on installing the most current
build of XP.

Have you looked at the ASUS Radeon card with 256MB? A good deal for the same
chip.

jk

not real wrote:

> OK, so I am building a new system (just general use, some online
> gaming), and have come up with the following so far. Can anyone tell me
> if there are ay glaring problems, or slightly better recommendations?
>
> Asus P4C800 Deluxe "Canterwood" Motherboard
>
> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz E

Why a 32 bit processor? Why not get a 64 bit Athlon 64 instead?

> , 1MB 800 FSB Socket 478 Prescott Hyper
> Threading Boxed Processor
>
> Corsair 1GB PC3200 400MHz (2x512MB) DDR 184Pin
>
> ATI 128MB AGP Video Card with RADEON 9800 PRO 3D Chip
>
> Any thoughts??

"not real" <"not real"@aol.com> wrote in message
> OK, so I am building a new system (just general use, some online gaming),
> and have come up with the following so far. Can anyone tell me if there
> are ay glaring problems, or slightly better recommendations?
>
> Asus P4C800 Deluxe "Canterwood" Motherboard
>
> Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz E , 1MB 800 FSB Socket 478 Prescott Hyper Threading
> Boxed Processor
>
> Corsair 1GB PC3200 400MHz (2x512MB) DDR 184Pin
>
> ATI 128MB AGP Video Card with RADEON 9800 PRO 3D Chip
>
> Any thoughts??

What about the Asus P4C800 - E Deluxe?

> Why a 32 bit processor? Why not get a 64 bit Athlon 64 instead?

Because he's not on AMD's payroll. -Dave

OK, so what are the advantages of the 64 bit processor for me? As
stated, I am a "one year behind is OK" person for my home computer, as
it seems to save $$, and not jump on board with the latest and greatest.
Convince me... (Please without some huge AMD vs Intel flamefest) I am
a genuine consumer looking for the best I can get with limited funds.
Also, comments on the other components listed would be nice. Thanks.

> OK, so what are the advantages of the 64 bit processor for me? As
> stated, I am a "one year behind is OK" person for my home computer, as
> it seems to save $$, and not jump on board with the latest and greatest.
> Convince me... (Please without some huge AMD vs Intel flamefest) I am
> a genuine consumer looking for the best I can get with limited funds.
> Also, comments on the other components listed would be nice. Thanks.

There is also a Windows XP SP2 problem with AMD64 MB's. There are currently
no OS's for 64 bit processing, and very few applications. MS is coming out
with a 64 bit Windows "soon". This is the bleeding edge (maybe demoted this
week to the cutting edge ;-)) and not necessary for the budget minded
consumer unless there is a specific need for the extra processing power, now
or in the near future. However it would certainly take you much further into
the future as 32 bit processors are already marked for retirement. 2 Cents.

I have the P4C800E-D board and am happy with it. No problems with my ASUS
Radeon card. Happy. I saved money by using Kingston regular latency memory.
I do not overclock, memory tweak, or bungee jump so I have no need for
expensive, extreme performance memory.

"not real" <"not real"@aol.com> wrote in message
> OK, so what are the advantages of the 64 bit processor for me?

There are none, unless you like to spend more money for the same level of
performance. But that Athlon64 is a great chip. I wouldn't advise anyone
against buying one. But you don't NEED one. -Dave

jk

not real wrote:

> OK, so what are the advantages of the 64 bit processor for me?

Right now, the Athlon 64 provides great 32 bit performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=1

It also provides great 64 bit performance when you are ready to upgrade to
64 bit software.

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> BP wrote:
>
> > There are currently
> > no OS's for 64 bit processing,
>
> Nonsense.

Well? Educate us.

jad

ok now tell us what great software supports suse and linux and whatever else
you can come up with....

Beta's of OS's and linux distros do not instill a positive experience in me.
64 bit is way ahead of software as usual. But PLEASE buy into it, and get
all those kinks out before the rest of us ease into it.

> BP wrote:
> > "Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message

> >>Nonsense.
> >>

> > Well? Educate us.
>
> "By default - without any add-ons - SUSE LINUX 9.1 Professional supports
> AMD's Athlon(tm) 64 and Intel's® upcoming Extended Memory 64 Technology.
> Thus SUSE presents a 64-bit operating system and applications that make
> full use of the high performance and speed of these 64bit processors."
>
> http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/prof/64bit.html
>
> "SUSE LINUX 9.1 Professional is the innovative Linux operating system
> for ambitious home users, technically skilled computer enthusiasts, and
> developers. With even more comfort and applications for the productive
> use of the PC - including office, Internet, and multimedia software,
> server services for home networks, and development tools."
>
> http://www.suse.com/us/private/products/suse_linux/prof/index.html
>
> "SUSE offers the possibility to install SUSE LINUX free of charge
> directly from the FTP server. The function scope of FTP versions is
> virtually the same as that of the "normal" version. Merely a few program
> packages have been excluded due to license reasons. The installation
> support is not included either."
>
> http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/index.html
> http://www.suse.com/us/private/index.html

jk

JAD wrote:

> ok now tell us what great software supports suse and linux and whatever else
> you can come up with....
>
> Beta's of OS's and linux distros do not instill a positive experience in me.
> 64 bit is way ahead of software as usual.

Perhaps by a few months, however I expect to see plenty of 64 bit software
within 6-9 months. Most people use a processor for a few years, and not
just a few months. The Athlon 64 is great running 32 bit software though,
so it is worth buying just for its 32 bit performance.

> BP wrote:
> > In the future I will try and make a distinction between computer USERS
and
> > computer ENTHUSIASTS.
>
> So something like 2/3 (and growing) of the world's supercomputer users
> are Linux enthusiasts, not computer users?

I was just thinking: how many super computer users are there? What would be
the ratio of super computer users to E-machine users? To I-Macs? Do super
computer users also post to help sites asking "how do I remove the password
box at startup?"? Audrey Farber? How do I make my voice do this?