Building new AMD PC for ~£520

IhaveaMac

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Right, I know these crop up all the time, but the people on this website are by far some of the best for advice, in my experience, and hence I am using these forums to ask for opinions on this build.

Ok. Basically, I'm sick of my iMac, and don't like the way Apple's going, so I want to build a new PC, preferably for a max of £550. I plan to use it for general browsing, menial work, and some gaming. Probably games like World of Tanks, Surgeon Simulator, maybe a few higher-tier games if possible. So, here it is:

AMD FX-4300 CPU - I'm going with this purely on a price basis, really. I just can't afford or afford to save for an Intel processor, as much as I'd love to.

Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P motherboard

Gigabyte GTX 650 1GB GDDR5 GPU - I think this should be fine for the moment, and I can always upgrade at a later stage. I'm only using one monitor and not planning on anything extreme, as mentioned.

2x4GB of Kingston HyperX Blu RAM

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB hard drive - Just one for cost purposes. I already own a 500GB external and I haven't used up a TB on this computer, which is full of crap.

Asus PCI-N10 Network adapter - I don't think I need a 300Mbps adapter, my internet's 30Mbps at the wall. Unfortunately, no Ethernet for me.

OCZ ZS Series 550W PSU - I think this should be sufficient and give me some headroom.

LiteOn iHDS118 DVD-ROM drive - Given the nature of almost all content being digital now, this is purely for installing the OS, and maybe the odd CD

Gigabyte M6800 Mouse

Gigabyte K6800 Keyboard - Mouse and Keyboard are where I've cut down on prices. I don't need a RAT 9 or something crazy, and I can always update these as I move on

CiT Vantage Gaming Case - Again, I've cut down on the case price, and I know that forgoes some quality. Three or four friends have this, though, it seems like good bang for buck.

Windows 7 Home Premium - I've tried Windows 8 on a friend's computer. I can't stand it, and that's just my opinion.

Thanks for reading this far. I know it's ben wordy but if I try and explain choices, it might save you some time question wise....Opinions, advice all welcome!

Once again, thanks a lot for reading.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You asked around 520 pounds,the next is a little over (i forgot the network adapter) but a good quality build i think,

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£82.49 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS10X OPTIMA CPU Cooler (£16.97 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£36.96 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card (£99.99 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN822N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter (£13.62 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Cooler Master K280 ATX Mid Tower Case (£32.38 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£34.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.98 @ Ebuyer)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£72.59 @ Ebuyer)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard (£12.22 @ Amazon UK)
Mouse: Gigabyte GM-M6900 Wired Optical Mouse (£15.50 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £531.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-30 22:47 GMT+0000)

Only the motherboard could probably be better,but imo still is a nice one looking at the price.

IhaveaMac

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

Thanks a lot, Vic. I'll take this into account. I'm new to all this so forgive me - a Micro-ATX form factor motherboard could take a full size graphics card, judging from your list. Is this the case for most, or all of them? Because then I can get a slighltly better graphics card or processor, as Micro ATX is less.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

For all of them.Size of the graphics card is more limited by the case.

You noticed i hope that i already did put a better processor and graphics card in? Compared to your choices i mean.

IhaveaMac

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

Yes, sorry, didn't mean to seem that I was ignoring that! I just meant that I would be more able to afford the better processor. And thank you very much for the info about the case.

Yes it usually does fit a full size gpu.

IhaveaMac

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Thanks for all the clarifications, etc. I've looked at the costs of getting a very slightly changed version of the suggestion made by Vic, all from eBuyer, simply for ease of purchase and delivery. Due to budget constraints, I switched out the HD 7850 for a 7770. However, I could buy a GTX 650 with 2GB or GDDR5 for £105, which is £20 less than the HD 7770 at regular, off-sale prices. I was just wondering if it made more sense to go with the 650 on the grounds that it's slightly cheaper, and has 2GB memory. The build has come to £545 with the 650.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You probably picked the next?
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n6502gd5oc

Well it's up to you,if this has all the performance you're going to need that's fine,you will still have a nice performing pc.

If you can spend more take the next card which just is better,
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr7260x2gbd5tdheoc
but is also 17 pounds more expensive,that pushes you over budget by 12 pounds.

Things like this are in the end up to you.Just make a decision on what you think will be sufficient for your needs.If that's the gtx 650 just go for it and stay within budget.

A review in which both cards are compared,
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R7_260X/
maybe this will give some info that can help you decide.

IhaveaMac

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

Thanks a lot, I'll give these a read. I might be able to stretch to the R7 260X, I'll see.

IhaveaMac

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

Yeah, you could say that. Pretty excited to finally be in a position where I'm almost ready to do this. Costed the build, it's £550 with the R7 260X, and I was kind of expecting it to end up around there in the end anyway! I just need a bit more money, and then I'm good to go. Thanks everyone, and you especially Vic, for all the help, I think I've got a solid idea of what I want now. :D

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

You're welcome.

I think you're right to put the r7 260X in.For the budget you would have a nice pc

Happy new year!

IhaveaMac

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

Likewise! I'm sure it'll be great.