building new comp..what OS to buy to upgrade is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skillywilly

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
ok im building new comp...
sli krait Mobo, i5 4690k, evo cooler 212, 970 gtx single, 2 8xs ripjaw 1600 RAM

Im keeping my OLD harddrive which is a 7200 seagate im using on this comp now..it has the windows 10 upgrade on it that i did from win 7 this cm 5675 came with 5 years ago.

question if i use the HDD will win 10 still be usable?? if not what should i buy cheapest to just upgrade? or is microsoft NOT doing upgrades anymore? TX

utgotye

Admirable
If your copy of Windows is OEM, then it's tied to the motherboard and you will have to purchase a new license. If it's retail, then you are good to move it to your new system. What kind of success you will have moving it is hard to say as they may be significant driver issues that are easier to solve by starting fresh than attempting to troubleshoot.

skillywilly

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015
Ok so ill keep my old comp for a backup maybe give to my friend..and ill just buy a new 1tb 7200 for space..im still not sold on the SSD yet..as im just strictly gaming..not worried about boot times. just to much money..

OEM well the system i bought at bestbuy 2010 came with the OS so that means OEM i imagine so:

Shall i buy windows 7 then upgrade to 10? whats the cheapest surest route to windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.