Building new gaming computer

Jul 16, 2018
Hi everyone,
I just was seeking advice for people with more knowledge than me. My current computer is approaching its 5 years birthday and the poor guy will start to be outdated for 2019 release like The Division 2.
In fact, 10 months ago, my GTX 760 died and I bought an Asus Rog Strix GTX 1050 Ti 4GB OC edition to replace it until I put together a new system. But the CPU wont keep up long and old mobo doesn't allow much room for upgrades.

So I started to build something and wanted advice or thoughts about it:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/sQBZFt

What I marked as purchased are stuff I'll keep from old computer (unless you have a good reason to advice me not do that).
For example, I'll keep the GPU as long as it can work then I'll upgrade it. I'll lend old Pc to dad for office work and he won't need that and it would be stupid to leave it in a computer for office work while I could use it for gaming a little longer before investing in something new.
The liquid cooling, he should not need that either so instead of buying one, why not keeping it? I can install the heatsink and fan, that were delivered with CPU, back in the old computer instead.

What do you guys think? Do you have better stuff to recommend? I can put a little more money on it as long as its reasonable and justified. If you have a incredibly better mobo or CPU to recommend for a slighly higher price, i would not matter. Again, justify why it would worth investment and ill seriously consider the suggestions!

Just so you know what i do with my PC: I'm doing mostly gaming, i don't give a crap about 4k and all that. I just want to play lol. Mostly shooters, simulators. I dont use wifi and don't give a crap about Bluetooth aswell (read: im not looking for those features so if your suggestions don't include them, it's doesn't bother me). I have tons of external gaming hardwares but I'm used to plug and unplug them when needed. And i only have 2 monitors. A Asus MG248QR as my main monitor and the other one is a very old 2009 Dell monitor i had with another desktop that i kept to browse Internet or manage my streaming stuff when I broadcast on twitch (not every day but once inawhile, i do).
I like to change my computer every 4-5years (unless something randomly breaks then I'll replace). And because of that, you may easily guess that i don't mind much running games on low settings when I'm approaching those 4-5 years since its pretty much after that time that i start to think about a new system.

Thanks to all again. If you need more infos to reply better,let me know.

CmdoDelta

Jul 16, 2018
Yes, I spent the day searching then jumped in swimming pool ahahah. I was making some more searching. I was thinking about upgrading GPU maybe but they are so damn expensive right now! That's why i was waiting for final build to maybe change PSU.
As for mobo, i have not much knowledge. Do you have any good pick from Asus? I'm big fan of Asus. All my mobo and GPU always been from them and i cant complain about quality. They never failed me. Yes even if my GTX 760 died I mean, for the hours this card have been running, its just surprising nothing else of my rig died before! :p

And what GPU you would pair with that CPU?

Lehan123456789

Respectable
Sep 10, 2016

Honestly, you're always gonna have a bottleneck somewhere. Your GPU will bottleneck your CPU, however this isn't a problem, per se, as there is always gonna be a bottleneck. My point, I suppose, is that if you already have a GPU giving you the frames you want, keep it, but if you need something stronger to stay at 144hz in the latest titles, get that.

I do take issue with one part of your build, however - storage. While its fine to reuse your old HDDs for mass storage, getting an SSD is a must in 2018 for any PC with more power than a Pentium. Since you probably don't need more than 8gb of ram, and ram is so expensive right now, we can spend the same amount, sacrificing very little performance, while getting an SSD. You can simply add another 8gb of ram later.

I'm not going to comment in on the motherboard, as I am not very well-versed in Z370 motherboards.

The PSU seems fine to me. You could spend $10 or so less, as suggested by ohenryy, and grab a g series PSU, however the new TXm line has good voltage regulation, low ripple and is 100 watts more powerful.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($214.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($107.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB STRIX Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa N21 ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.00 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $921.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-16 20:08 EDT-0400

Jul 16, 2018
How come SSD is a must? Is it slowing down my CPU or GPU to not have one? I bought a Firecuda because it's hybrid and I'm not complaining at all about the loading performance of my computer lol. Everything is fast enough for me. And the 16gb RAM is mandatory. In my opinion, 8gb is the bare minimum for a computer those days. I ran with 8gb on my old Pc for some time and quickly felt the need for 8 more.

Just my CPU is getting too old. The 1050 was just a quick replacement for my dead 760. I know i can still use it for some time but it should bottleneck before CPU. But I know i have plenty of choices to upgrade later that will fit the mobo so its not a concern. Ill upgrade it when it'll become a problem to run newer games that i absolutely want to play. Not in a hurry. Maybe by the time i need an upgrade, the price will have dropped. ;)