Building New Gaming Desktop Comments

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I am considering building a new Gaming PC with the following and I'm interested in your comments.

Intel i5-8600k CPU
Asus Prime Z370-A MB
Cooler Master Hyper RR-212E Cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB
Samsung 970 EVO 500GB PCIe M.2
2280 SSD
WD Blue 1 TB SATA 7200RPM HD
Corsair VS550 Watt Power Supply
Rosewell ATX Mid Tower Case

I will use my Sapphire Nitro Radeon R9 380 4Gb Video Card and my LG Blue Ray Burner.

I plan on loading Windows 10 Pro 64 bit as my Operating System.

I see that possibly by next month the 9th Generation i5- 9600k and Z-390 Mother Boards might start appearing.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Not crazy about the power supply, which is Corsair's lowest quality offering, mostly intended for office PCs. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO was a good budget cooler in its day, but it's been eclipsed by quite a few in this category in the last four or five years, with the closest to a default option these days being the Cryorig H7.

Looks good. Just change the cooler and PSU.
The Cryorig H7 is a better cooler around same price.
The Corsair VS series is pretty mediocre. Get at least the CXM instead, or TXM(even better). Or seasonic Focus... https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

dpeel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Thanks for the responses. I was considering going to a water CPU cooler but decided to stick with air as I would not be trying to overclock to the extreme. I am still considering my hardware choices as I don't want to rush into making a decision that I will regret later. I will probably wait to see how the i5-9600k which might be out in October looks. I am also looking forward to my first system with an SSD.