[SOLVED] Building new intel pc, are these components good?

mcan226

Honorable
Jan 19, 2017
Hello, everyone. I'm building a new pc to replace my 5yo i3 4th gen. I want it to last a least 3 years.

I've been reading a bunch of threads from multiples sites, and I have come with this hardware:

CPU: i5-10400 〜 130 USD
MOBO: Asus B560m Tuf Gaming Plus Wifi 〜 100 USD
RAM: kingston fury beast 2x8gb 3200 mhz KF432C16BB/8 〜75 USD
SSD: Crucial BX500 480gb 〜 50 USD
Total 〜 350. I already have a buyer for my old pc and i'll get 50 USD from it, so i will have to spend total 300 USD.

I intend to buy a 1050ti next month for about 350 USD.

I also have an 1080p 60hz display, a 500w psu, and a corsair spec alpha case, and i'll be using W10

This are my questions:
  1. Will the previous gpu's run well with this hardware? is the psu enough? i'll doing light gaming like valorant, apex legends and pugb in low settings.
  2. what do you think about the mobo? I've been searching a lot and this one seems to be the best quality for a budget mobo, because it deals good with heat and can make ram run at 3200 mhz.
  3. will i be able tu set the ram at 3200 mhz with the xmp without issues? If so, will it make any harm to the cpu? Intel says that 10400 only supports up to 2666 mhz, and I'm scared I might break it down.
Why 10th gen?
i've read the 12 gen has some issues with windows and the motherboards and on top of that it will cost me 100 USD more to get it. As for Ryzen, a build with a 5700g and roughly the same hardware (without gpu) will cost me 550USD. I think that buying the 1050ti for 150 USD more would be better.

Any help will be kindly received, thanks in advance.

Solution
Hi, thank you so much for your help!

My old sytem: i3-4170. 2x4gb kingston value, h81m-a. I don't have a GPU.

As for your suggestions:

1. Another reason that I was hesitant about the 12th gen was because they being so new makes me worry that it's gonna have a lot of perfomances issues. 10th gen has been here for almost 2 years so I'd like to assume most issues have already been corrected. Do you think monolithic 12th gen is safe? RMA in my country sucks.

2. is an h-610 good? Since it's a budget mobo wouldn't it cause perfomance and heat issues? I can get in my country an Asus Prime B660m-a D4 for 135 USD. With a 12400 and the b660 , i'd cost me 450USD. 380 if I use an h610 instead of a b660.

3. rtx's are quite...

KyaraM

Admirable
Hi! So, I honestly wouldn't go with a 10th gen anymore, especially not with the 10400. The x400s are great budget options for gaming, but 10th gen is outdated nowadays and with a 12th gen, you will be happy for far longer. Also, there are no Windows issues with 12th gen anymore at this point, especially not in Windows 11, and if then they only apply to the 12600 up anyways since everything below that is a standard monolithic CPU with p-cores only, instead of p- and e-cores which is the setup that had issues. I got a 12700k myself and it works beautifully, did so even under Windows 10 but now with 11 it's even better. So really, I would go with a 12400, or if you don't need that power, an i3 12100 is good un a low-end config like this, too, and costs less than the 10400 while being stronger. 12400F if you can get the GPU immediately.

On the topic of a GPU, do NOT buy that 1050Ti! It's hopelessly outdated at this point in time and you can get a 3050 for marginally more, which will last you longer and provide more power. For comparison, the 3050 should edge out a 1070, which is a vastly better card than the 1050Ti. That card simply isn't worth that money.

How about something like this? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KvMxFg
If you don't have a GPU available, either take a Ryzen 5 5600G (needs a different MB) or a 12400 without F, which costs a bit more than the F version. However, if your objective is gaming, neither is a very good iGPU.

Last, what is your old system? Does it have a GPU? If it got a GPU, 50 bucks probably aren't enough by a long shot looking at current prices. If you absolutely want to sell it for that price, do so without the GPU. If you keep the GPU, you can use it with a 12400F without issues until you can get a 3050.

Reactions: mcan226

mcan226

Honorable
Jan 19, 2017
Hi! So, I honestly wouldn't go with a 10th gen anymore, especially not with the 10400. The x400s are great budget options for gaming, but 10th gen is outdated nowadays and with a 12th gen, you will be happy for far longer. Also, there are no Windows issues with 12th gen anymore at this point, especially not in Windows 11, and if then they only apply to the 12600 up anyways since everything below that is a standard monolithic CPU with p-cores only, instead of p- and e-cores which is the setup that had issues. I got a 12700k myself and it works beautifully, did so even under Windows 10 but now with 11 it's even better. So really, I would go with a 12400, or if you don't need that power, an i3 12100 is good un a low-end config like this, too, and costs less than the 10400 while being stronger. 12400F if you can get the GPU immediately.

On the topic of a GPU, do NOT buy that 1050Ti! It's hopelessly outdated at this point in time and you can get a 3050 for marginally more, which will last you longer and provide more power. For comparison, the 3050 should edge out a 1070, which is a vastly better card than the 1050Ti. That card simply isn't worth that money.

How about something like this? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KvMxFg
If you don't have a GPU available, either take a Ryzen 5 5600G (needs a different MB) or a 12400 without F, which costs a bit more than the F version. However, if your objective is gaming, neither is a very good iGPU.

Last, what is your old system? Does it have a GPU? If it got a GPU, 50 bucks probably aren't enough by a long shot looking at current prices. If you absolutely want to sell it for that price, do so without the GPU. If you keep the GPU, you can use it with a 12400F without issues until you can get a 3050.

As for your suggestions:

1. Another reason that I was hesitant about the 12th gen was because they being so new makes me worry that it's gonna have a lot of perfomances issues. 10th gen has been here for almost 2 years so I'd like to assume most issues have already been corrected. Do you think monolithic 12th gen is safe? RMA in my country sucks.

2. is an h-610 good? Since it's a budget mobo wouldn't it cause perfomance and heat issues? I can get in my country an Asus Prime B660m-a D4 for 135 USD. With a 12400 and the b660 , i'd cost me 450USD. 380 if I use an h610 instead of a b660.

3. rtx's are quite expensive for me at the moment. how about a gtx 1650? There are some msi I could get for about 400 USD more. there are some 3050 that are around 400 USD, but they are 2nd hand brands like palit or gainward, i'm not so sure about them...

It's a evga 500w 80 Plus Sata 6 Pci-e 2. it has 5 years of usage, never had an issue.
Still not the model, see here there are many EVGA’s with varying quality https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

Just because it worked doesn’t mean it’s good. A bad psu can die unexpectedly and is more likely to cause damage to any connected components when it does. If the power is not clean it can reduce the lifespan of any/all connected components. A low quality psu is also more likely to cause system stability issues. PSU’s deteriorate with age and usage, a low-mid quality psu that is 5 years old could be well past its prime. If it is out of warranty I’d definitely change it, the warranty is your protection encase it does die and cause damage.

mcan226

Honorable
Jan 19, 2017
Still not the model, see here there are many EVGA’s with varying quality https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

Just because it worked doesn’t mean it’s good. A bad psu can die unexpectedly and is more likely to cause damage to any connected components when it does. If the power is not clean it can reduce the lifespan of any/all connected components. A low quality psu is also more likely to cause system stability issues. PSU’s deteriorate with age and usage, a low-mid quality psu that is 5 years old could be well past its prime. If it is out of warranty I’d definitely change it, the warranty is your protection encase it does die and cause damage.

Sorry. the model is 100-W1-0500. According to the threat provided, it would be a low priority unit.

so yeah, I'm gonna have to buy a new PSU as well. I was planning on doing that when I buy the new GPU since I htink 500W won't be enough.

KyaraM

Admirable

As for your suggestions:

3. rtx's are quite expensive for me at the moment. how about a gtx 1650? There are some msi I could get for about 400 USD more. there are some 3050 that are around 400 USD, but they are 2nd hand brands like palit or gainward, i'm not so sure about them...
  1. Nah. As I mentioned above, I had not a single issue with the 12th gen i7 so far. And neither had my boyfriend, who grabbed the non-k version. That of course doesn't mean they cannot have any, and I agree that a sample of two isn't that huge. However, since as I mentioned before the 12400 lacks the feature that did cause various issues - the hybrid architecture with "big" and "little" cores - is completely missing on the 12400 (iirc it never even gets included in the production, so the little cores aren't even physically present), it should be even less likely to encounter errors.
  2. I have seen a couple review videos about the topic. While in previous generations the VRM and heatsinks - if there even were any - seemed to suck quite a bit on cheap boards, the situation seems to be quite a lot better and iirc that combination is currently celebrated over on LTT. However, if you are missing something from the ultra-budget boards, or are still unsure, the B-series is of course better and if you find a good, cheap one on that category, go for it.
  3. Don't worry about Palit or Gainward. They are reputable brands, and in fact the ones I use for years now! They are also both Palit brands, together with Galax and a coupleothers, and they are the biggest partner for Nvidia, getting nearly half of the chips they make for their cards. The reason you didn't hear so much about them (assuming that is why you think they aren't trusty/second line) is that they are mostly selling to Europe and China. Please correct me if I'm wrong. My first Palit was a 770 Jetstream, which I used for about 4 years. It was a used card. My second was a 1070 SuperJetstream, which is still working in my secondary system. Never had an issue with it in over 5 years. I'm currently using a Gainward Phoenix 3070Ti. So far, there are no issues with it it's the favorite brand of my boyfriend. I would go for one if you can.

Would you mind telling us your country, btw? Might help us finding suitable components for you. Also, yeah, PSU... you can probably wait a little longer on that, but it's a ticking time bomb and should be exchanged soonish.

Reactions: mcan226
Solution

mcan226

Honorable
Jan 19, 2017
  1. Nah. As I mentioned above, I had not a single issue with the 12th gen i7 so far. And neither had my boyfriend, who grabbed the non-k version. That of course doesn't mean they cannot have any, and I agree that a sample of two isn't that huge. However, since as I mentioned before the 12400 lacks the feature that did cause various issues - the hybrid architecture with "big" and "little" cores - is completely missing on the 12400 (iirc it never even gets included in the production, so the little cores aren't even physically present), it should be even less likely to encounter errors.
  2. I have seen a couple review videos about the topic. While in previous generations the VRM and heatsinks - if there even were any - seemed to suck quite a bit on cheap boards, the situation seems to be quite a lot better and iirc that combination is currently celebrated over on LTT. However, if you are missing something from the ultra-budget boards, or are still unsure, the B-series is of course better and if you find a good, cheap one on that category, go for it.
  3. Don't worry about Palit or Gainward. They are reputable brands, and in fact the ones I use for years now! They are also both Palit brands, together with Galax and a coupleothers, and they are the biggest partner for Nvidia, getting nearly half of the chips they make for their cards. The reason you didn't hear so much about them (assuming that is why you think they aren't trusty/second line) is that they are mostly selling to Europe and China. Please correct me if I'm wrong. My first Palit was a 770 Jetstream, which I used for about 4 years. It was a used card. My second was a 1070 SuperJetstream, which is still working in my secondary system. Never had an issue with it in over 5 years. I'm currently using a Gainward Phoenix 3070Ti. So far, there are no issues with it it's the favorite brand of my boyfriend. I would go for one if you can.
Would you mind telling us your country, btw? Might help us finding suitable components for you. Also, yeah, PSU... you can probably wait a little longer on that, but it's a ticking time bomb and should be exchanged soonish.

I'm from Argentina.

I was thinking on buying a new psu once I got the gpu, since 500w is not enough. Same with a dedicated cooler for the cpu.

I've been reading a bit more and yeah, some other posts suggest that the issues were with the hybrid cores. So I'm gonna spend that extra money in a 12400, that way the new build will last longer.

As for the GPU, this is actually my first time buying one, so I've never really paid attention to the brands. I know most of them because some also make mobo's, that's why palit didn't ring a bell. I've read that palit has had a presence in my country for many years, same with its other brands. I'm glad they are known since they are cheaper. I not gonna buy the gpu right now, maybe next month or the next after that, so i'll be researching more.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm gonna try to buy the new hardware this week, but with the 12400 and a 660.

TRENDING THREADS