Question Building new PC - any input is appreciated

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

verdynius

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015
So, i successfully managed to kill my 6 year old PC by connecting a molex connector while the system was running. Lesson learned. Moving on. Building a new one.

Now I'm aiming for a kinda future proof system, where i have room for upgrades in the next 5-6 years. From the build i wrecked i have the case, a hyper 212 evo, and hopefully the HDD and the SSD, so i don't need to buy those. Also i have all my peripherials working. The goal is superb/good 1080p performance, with decent 1440p framerates for the future.
The system:
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Elite rev 1.0
  • CPU: Intel I5 8600k
  • RAM: HyperX Predator 3200Mhz CL16
  • VGA: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Aorus xtreme
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Olus 650 Gold
The reasoning behind all this:
  • Mobo: after some hefty research hours, i found this motherboard is the best price / performance wise in this price range. Gonna get decent cooling and will try to join the 5Ghz club, might be an overreach tho
  • CPU: i was never gonna go for a locked cpu, and i found this as a good middle ground.
  • RAM: correct me if I'm wrong, but for this setup above 3000Mhz and CL16 there are no MAJOR performance differences. (spent less money on mem, more on cpu and vga)
  • PSU: it's not the best on the market, but it's decent enough. Wondering if the 650W would be enough for OC'ing everything inside the case?
  • VGA: oh man i wish i could get a 2080. But i can't. Where i live gtx1080's have a horror price tag, the 1070's also pricey, not to mention 1070ti. Was thinking about 1660Ti, but i believe the 2060 is slightly better for the same money. I was checking out other versions of 2060's, but didnt found any big performance gaps between aftermarket GPU's, so i might well stick with the color scheme.
I've been putting this together for a week and a half, and i would appreciate ANY kind of input. I have read a metric fuckton of forums, threads, articles, watched videos, talked to people about it, but i might be really wrong about some aspects.

Please feel free to criticize anything i've been put together, except for my english, i want to get the best parts for my money.

Thanks for reading, have a great day ;)

verdynius

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015
Oh ok, can you take the bottom drive cage out for the RTX 2080 cooling?
Right now the case is at a repair shop (trying to fix the fried mobo), so i can't check it, but i believe that you can remove that too. But for the 970 it was enough to take out the top one. I have a fan at the front, a fan at the bottom side (taking in air), one at top and one at back side (blowing out air). 2 more on the 212 evo blowing from front to back. I belive that it should be enough. It was for the 4690k@4.4Ghz.