[SOLVED] Building new PC but want to keep all drives / windows (more below)

Nov 8, 2020
Hey, So I'm currently buying new parts to build a new PC. I currently have 2 SSD's and 2 HDD's. 1 of the SSD's has windows some important software and games. My question is when I build the new PC should I just connect the SSD with windows and those games and software first? Will that work? and be bootable since there is all new hardware is the only thing that could go wrong is needing a new windows key? Thanks!

Solution
The 970 EVO is a top choice.
500GB is perfect.

The other drives are fine, assuming no applications are installed on those. Those applications won't work with the new OS on the new drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Hey, So I'm currently buying new parts to build a new PC. I currently have 2 SSD's and 2 HDD's. 1 of the SSD's has windows some important software and games. My question is when I build the new PC should I just connect the SSD with windows and those games and software first? Will that work? and be bootable since there is all new hardware is the only thing that could go wrong is needing a new windows key? Thanks!
Yes, we'd ALL like it to simply be plug n play.
Sadly, it is not.

3 possibilities:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

With a new motherboard, a fresh install is strongly recommended, often required.
Prepare for that full install. You might get lucky, and it 'just works'. But if you don't prepare and it fails...tears will result.

For the OS license, assuming Win 10.
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Nov 8, 2020
When building a new system best thing to do is do a clean Windows setup and re-install the program. Just moving the drives over may work, or may not boot or may work but you will have odd crashing or slowness issues.
Ok, I'm resetting an old 120GB SSD as we speak. I'll have the windows install on a USB also. First time building so everything's a little new.

Nov 8, 2020
And a 120GB is pretty much on the TooSmall side.
You WILL be back soon, wondering how to manage the decreasing space on that.
120GB is too small to hold windows?!?! I would've thought it would have been enough. I'll happily get a differnt size maybe even a m.2 as my new board has two slots.

USAFRet

Titan
120GB is too small to hold windows?!?! I would've thought it would have been enough. I'll happily get a differnt size maybe even a m.2 as my new board has two slots.
For "just windows", sure. However, it never ends up like that.

Lots of things save to the C drive, some thing refuse to install to elsewhere.
And you DO want all your applications/utilities/game launchers/etc on that SSD.

120GB will fill up far faster than you think.
And for a 120GB drive, you shouldn't fill it up past 80-85GB or so.
And then we need free space for the semi annual windows update.

On my wifes system, which is used only for email/facebook/solitaire...the C drive is approx 75-80GB consumed.

Min recommended size today is 240/250GB.

Nov 8, 2020
For "just windows", sure. However, it never ends up like that.

Lots of things save to the C drive, some thing refuse to install to elsewhere.
And you DO want all your applications/utilities/game launchers/etc on that SSD.

120GB will fill up far faster than you think.
And for a 120GB drive, you shouldn't fill it up past 80-85GB or so.
And then we need free space for the semi annual windows update.

On my wifes system, which is used only for email/facebook/solitaire...the C drive is approx 75-80GB consumed.

Min recommended size today is 240/250GB.
Thoughts on getting a "
500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCI-Express 3.0 Solid State Drive
" for windows and whatever automatically goes on there? Probably easier in the long run right? what about my other SSD and HDD's will they be ok to try and plug and play if you will. I'll back up the important stuff of them first just in case anything there was going to go wrong.

Nov 8, 2020
The 970 EVO is a top choice.
500GB is perfect.

The other drives are fine, assuming no applications are installed on those. Those applications won't work with the new OS on the new drive.
Ok, I'll add that to the bookmarks lol, So. As an actual newbie why wouldn't applications work? Would it be due to links between the os and the apps? I have some apps installed such as plugins for other software etc but I can deal with reinstalling those.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, I'll add that to the bookmarks lol, So. As an actual newbie why wouldn't applications work? Would it be due to links between the os and the apps? I have some apps installed such as plugins for other software etc but I can deal with reinstalling those.
When an application is installed, it makes dozens, sometimes thousands, of entries in the Registry and elsewhere.
The new OS knows nothing about those.

Stuff like plugins (for what?) can generally be made to work. The application that uses them will need to be reinstalled.

Nov 8, 2020
When an application is installed, it makes dozens, sometimes thousands, of entries in the Registry and elsewhere.
The new OS knows nothing about those.

Stuff like plugins (for what?) can generally be made to work. The application that uses them will need to be reinstalled.
I've got tons of presets and settings for plugins such as Magic Bullet looks etc for film making etc. I can always reinstall those if anything were to go wrong.