[SOLVED] Building new pc do anyone wanna help out

bawse.hustler

Prominent
Nov 25, 2018
Hello let me just start off with that my budget im not 100% on but range is between 3000$-4000$ so im looking to get RTX 2080TI and i9 10900k and Asus Rog Strix Z490-E Gaming WiFi, i can switch motherboard to higher but i dont think it would be needed, those 3 components im going to get for sure the rest im not so sure on like Ram for instance ive been looking at G.Skill and i wanna go for new stuff that is not to old and outdated.

Basically what im asking is there any new G.skill rams that are especially good high-end from 2020, the same goes for CPU cooler i was thinking of Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm ive heard its good but dont know for sure and it seems like its kinda old aswell wondering if they have something new on market that is maybe better but not so known, well that is it those are the two components im most uncertain on have if you have any light on this that would be much appreciated, Thanks

Solution
i think ill go for the AIO instead of custom water cooling it seems fun to do and all that but maybe ill just do that down the line instead
AIOs are the cheap and convenient alternative to custom liquid. The tradeoff is that they don't measure up to the potential cooling performance and low noise levels of the real thing.
The real deal is expensive, but what usually turns people away from it is the maintenance part: 2x a year or more, draining, cleaning, refilling, leak testing...
Air coolers are great, up until dealing with OC'd high power cpus like the 9900K and up. Even the best ones have a hard limit around 250w, after which they drop off a cliff, and 280-360mm AIOs take over.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hello let me just start off with that my budget im not 100% on but range is between 3000$-4000$ so im looking to get RTX 2080TI and i9 10900k and Asus Rog Strix Z490-E Gaming WiFi, i can switch motherboard to higher but i dont think it would be needed, those 3 components im going to get for sure the rest im not so sure on like Ram for instance ive been looking at G.Skill and i wanna go for new stuff that is not to old and outdated.

Basically what im asking is there any new G.skill rams that are especially good high-end from 2020, the same goes for CPU cooler i was thinking of Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm ive heard its good but dont know for sure and it seems like its kinda old aswell wondering if they have something new on market that is maybe better but not so known, well that is it those are the two components im most uncertain on have if you have any light on this that would be much appreciated, Thanks
Lets try and breakdown what the main usage of this PC is going to be.

bawse.hustler

Prominent
Nov 25, 2018
Some products/brands are more popular between the 2, as well as some being harder to come by. Then there's the backlog of products held back by Covid... but yeah...

Ok, a gaming PC.
Monitor resolution and refresh?
Already have a solid monitor will aim to get the new 360hrz asus when it launches but who knows when that comes also im just more asking for help when it comes to new parts if there even has came out new stuff im not sure when it comes to Ram and Cpu cooler, if i search best on google it just shows up the same always that are from like 2018 something so im just looking to check before i buy the new pc that i did not miss some parts that are better but not so known on the market when it comes to Ram and cpu coolers

Good luck in finding a I9-10900K for sale.
If you can't, a I7-10700K is going to game about as well.
Performance is similar to the i9-9900K

On ram, G.skil is good. I think you get marginal value from ram faster than about 3600 speed.
At equal speed, lower can is better, but costs more.

What is your case?
Airflow capability becomes important with hot components inside.
A 360 aio cooler will be best for cpu cooling, but such a cooler may impact your gpu cooling, depending on your case.
The 10th gen processors run much cooler than the previous top dog, the i9-9900K

bawse.hustler

Prominent
Nov 25, 2018
Good luck in finding a I9-10900K for sale.
If you can't, a I7-10700K is going to game about as well.
Performance is similar to the i9-9900K

On ram, G.skil is good. I think you get marginal value from ram faster than about 3600 speed.
At equal speed, lower can is better, but costs more.

What is your case?
Airflow capability becomes important with hot components inside.
A 360 aio cooler will be best for cpu cooling, but such a cooler may impact your gpu cooling, depending on your case.
The 10th gen processors run much cooler than the previous top dog, the i9-9900K
I was thinking of getting Phanteks Eclipse P600S unless you guys can suggest something better, and the 10900k is in stock pretty much all over here so that will be no problem and cpu cooler i was thinking corsair hydro h150i pro 360mm unless you know about better one.

P600s looks to be a very nice and interesting case.
I see no problem with it.

I wonder about a 360 aio cooler.
I do not know if the H150I is better or worse than any other.
My concern is if you actually need one.
I read this review of the i9-10900K which did some testing using a 240 aio as well as a noctua NH-U12s.
At the end, when overclocking, they found that the limit was more related to safe voltage than temperature.
There was only 1 multiplier difference with the 240 aio and they concluded that it was not worth it.
Your case could easily handle a noctua NH-D15 which is as good as it gets in air cooling.
As a plus, it is cheaper, more reliable, easier to mount and will not leak.
The cooling capability is equal to a 240 aio.

Mounting any aio is a catch 22 issue.
If you mount to draw in fresh outside air, your cpu will be cooled the best, but the hot exhaust is what the motherboard and graphics card use for cooling.
OTOH, if you mount to exhaust then the cpu will not be cooled as well since it is using heated case air.

bawse.hustler

Prominent
Nov 25, 2018
P600s looks to be a very nice and interesting case.
I see no problem with it.

I wonder about a 360 aio cooler.
I do not know if the H150I is better or worse than any other.
My concern is if you actually need one.
I read this review of the i9-10900K which did some testing using a 240 aio as well as a noctua NH-U12s.
At the end, when overclocking, they found that the limit was more related to safe voltage than temperature.
There was only 1 multiplier difference with the 240 aio and they concluded that it was not worth it.
Your case could easily handle a noctua NH-D15 which is as good as it gets in air cooling.
As a plus, it is cheaper, more reliable, easier to mount and will not leak.
The cooling capability is equal to a 240 aio.

Mounting any aio is a catch 22 issue.
If you mount to draw in fresh outside air, your cpu will be cooled the best, but the hot exhaust is what the motherboard and graphics card use for cooling.
OTOH, if you mount to exhaust then the cpu will not be cooled as well since it is using heated case air.
Yeah true that is a good point the cooler i mention is kinda big i would think that top mount is best for the hole case but like you mention it will be warm air that hits it so ill check into that noctua NHd15 i dont much care for the cost im only after the best parts.

Ferimer

Distinguished
Yeah true that is a good point the cooler i mention is kinda big i would think that top mount is best for the hole case but like you mention it will be warm air that hits it so ill check into that noctua NHd15 i dont much care for the cost im only after the best parts.
That's the thing though, you wouldn't need the best parts per say for gaming, unless you were wanting to make the games yourself. You can build a really good gaming PC for almost half your budget you are wanting to fork out.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Already have a solid monitor will aim to get the new 360hrz asus when it launches but who knows when that comes also im just more asking for help when it comes to new parts if there even has came out new stuff im not sure when it comes to Ram and Cpu cooler, if i search best on google it just shows up the same always that are from like 2018 something so im just looking to check before i buy the new pc that i did not miss some parts that are better but not so known on the market when it comes to Ram and cpu coolers
Knowing your resolution and frame target gives us a better idea of what to recommend. Since the target is ultra-high refresh 1080p gaming:
Cpu:
A)10900K and overclock it.
B)10600K and overclock it.
You'll have an easier time pushing a heavy overclock with the latter though.

Cpu cooler:
A)For the 10900K, a 360mm AIO, or custom liquid. The former is the quick and hassle-free route, but can't reach the same level of cooling and quiet of the latter.
The latter requires lots of research on liquid cooling and requires regular maintenance on the loop. You'll screw yourself if you dive in blind or rush it.
B)For the 10600K, one of the big air coolers:
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT
Noctua NH-D15 or NH-U12A
Deepcool Assassin 3
Cryorig R1 Ultimate
On the liquid end, 280/360mm AIO or custom loop.

Motherboard:
A motherboard is primarily about it's feature set, so as long as the one you want have all the expansion slots, usb, wifi etc., then good.

Ram:
Dual channel, 3600mhz or higher. Easy method is to check the motherboard's online Qualified Vendor's List to see what kits are supported - it's usually updated over a period of time.

Gpu:
2080Ti, sure - go for it. I guess you could try to sell it once RTX 3000 launches around the end of the year.

Power supply:
750w+, gold or higher, fully modular...
Corsair RMX, AX, or HX
Seasonic Focus or Prime
EVGA Supernova G3, P2, or T2
Superflower Leadex III

If cost is not a big obstacle, then a I9-10900K is as good as it gets for gaming.
Not so much for the added threads but because they are better binned and will run at 5.3.
If you are into overclocking, you are more likely to do better than with a lesser processor.
For gaming, there is no need for 20 threads. I would be inclined to try running without hyperthreading and use 10 cores only. If you can increase the multiplier by doing that, most games should play better.

On the motherboard, take the time to read the specs and reviews. The I9-10900K is a strong processor and can draw lots of power. A motherboard with more robust power handling is going to be better.
I don't know that one can just count the power phases to make that assessment. Reviews might be better.

bawse.hustler

Prominent
Nov 25, 2018
Knowing your resolution and frame target gives us a better idea of what to recommend. Since the target is ultra-high refresh 1080p gaming:
Cpu:
A)10900K and overclock it.
B)10600K and overclock it.
You'll have an easier time pushing a heavy overclock with the latter though.

Cpu cooler:
A)For the 10900K, a 360mm AIO, or custom liquid. The former is the quick and hassle-free route, but can't reach the same level of cooling and quiet of the latter.
The latter requires lots of research on liquid cooling and requires regular maintenance on the loop. You'll screw yourself if you dive in blind or rush it.
B)For the 10600K, one of the big air coolers:
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT
Noctua NH-D15 or NH-U12A
Deepcool Assassin 3
Cryorig R1 Ultimate
On the liquid end, 280/360mm AIO or custom loop.

Motherboard:
A motherboard is primarily about it's feature set, so as long as the one you want have all the expansion slots, usb, wifi etc., then good.

Ram:
Dual channel, 3600mhz or higher. Easy method is to check the motherboard's online Qualified Vendor's List to see what kits are supported - it's usually updated over a period of time.

Gpu:
2080Ti, sure - go for it. I guess you could try to sell it once RTX 3000 launches around the end of the year.

Power supply:
750w+, gold or higher, fully modular...
Corsair RMX, AX, or HX
Seasonic Focus or Prime
EVGA Supernova G3, P2, or T2
Superflower Leadex III
Thank you for the information, since i have never built a pc before i think ill go for the AIO instead of custom water cooling it seems fun to do and all that but maybe ill just do that down the line instead, for the power supply do the ASUS ROG Strix 750w work,
if not ill go with the onces you recommend, and for the ram i see you have G.Skill Ripjaws V
would you recommend those or something else ?

bawse.hustler

Prominent
Nov 25, 2018
If cost is not a big obstacle, then a I9-10900K is as good as it gets for gaming.
Not so much for the added threads but because they are better binned and will run at 5.3.
If you are into overclocking, you are more likely to do better than with a lesser processor.
For gaming, there is no need for 20 threads. I would be inclined to try running without hyperthreading and use 10 cores only. If you can increase the multiplier by doing that, most games should play better.

On the motherboard, take the time to read the specs and reviews. The I9-10900K is a strong processor and can draw lots of power. A motherboard with more robust power handling is going to be better.
I don't know that one can just count the power phases to make that assessment. Reviews might be better.
Thanks mate, ill check over the motherboard just to make sure its good to go

There is little to choose among all of the major ram brands. g.skil is good, but corsair, patriot,kingsston and many others are good.
Lifetime warranty is usual.
Prices get inflated for appearance items such as RGB "bling" and tall fancy heat spreaders.
You need neither. Only if you are a hobbyist seeking record ram overclocks are any heat spreaders needed at all.
If you want faster ram, buy faster ram in the first place.

On liquid cooling, I am not much for it.
Only if you buy a 360 sized radiator can you do any better than air in a good case.
My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua or phanteks can do the job just as well.
A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
in a well ventilated case.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
Past that, A AIO radiator complicates creating a positive pressure filtered cooling setup which can keep your parts clean.
And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
Google for AIO leaks to see what can happen.
While unlikely, leaks do happen.

I would support an AIO cooler primarily in a space restricted case.
If one puts looks over function, that is a personal thing; not for me though.
-----------------------end of rant--------------------------

Your pc will be quieter, more reliable, and will be cooled equally well with a decent air cooler
like the Noctua NH-U12s or NH-NH-D15s.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i think ill go for the AIO instead of custom water cooling it seems fun to do and all that but maybe ill just do that down the line instead
AIOs are the cheap and convenient alternative to custom liquid. The tradeoff is that they don't measure up to the potential cooling performance and low noise levels of the real thing.
The real deal is expensive, but what usually turns people away from it is the maintenance part: 2x a year or more, draining, cleaning, refilling, leak testing...
Air coolers are great, up until dealing with OC'd high power cpus like the 9900K and up. Even the best ones have a hard limit around 250w, after which they drop off a cliff, and 280-360mm AIOs take over.
Above is the power table for the 10th gen cpus.
Power Limit 1 is the all core frequency limit, at BASE speeds
Power Limit 2 is for the cpu to hit those lovable boost clocks
Tau is the duration(seconds) for the cpu to remain at PL 2, after which it's forced back to PL 1 temporarily.
Overclocking tosses all of that out the window.

Some manufacturer's are going to ignore the above, and basically design their mobos to run the cpu overclocked out of the box.

A top end air cooler should be able to cope with a 10900K at stock, but you won't have any real overclocking headroom with it...
I've got a delidded 7820X OC'd to 4.5ghz and 3.0ghz cache(now removed), with a NH-D15S on it, and in Prime 95, Small FFT, AVX off, this thing saw temps into the low 90Cs, and it was pulling 270w tops...

for the power supply do the ASUS ROG Strix 750w work,
I kinda get why some people would want that, but in chassis that have power supply shrouds and separate compartments for them, the psu won't be seen most of the time, so the money on the aesthetics are wasted.
IMO, the only thing Asus has going for it is how user-friendly their bioses have been - I like their motherboards because of that, but they charge too much for everything else, with nothing impressive to really show for the higher price tags.

and for the ram i see you have G.Skill Ripjaws V
would you recommend those or something else ?
You can go for something else if you want.
G.Skill Trident Z, Royal
Corsair Vengeance, Vengeance Pro, Dominator
Kingston Hyper X
Patriot Viper
Those are some of the first kits to be validated by the vendors, so you can't really go wrong with them.

Also going to add this here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOCrcOfTsLg

Last edited:
Solution