[SOLVED] Building new PC - invest more into GPU or CPU ? - Mid-end gamer 2019

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
Hello, I am currently building a PC that would be able to handle everything that is going to be released (especially Cyberpunk2077) at least on 1080p or 1440p with 50-100FPS on ~60-144hz (i dont care about that too much). I currently have only 1080p HDMI monitor and will eventually invest later into 1440p.

What I chose for setup:
MB : MSI X470 Gaming plus
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x or Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: 1660Ti OC 6GB (Tons of variants from MSI/Gigabyte/can't really see the difference) or RTX2060 6GB or whatever would you recommend to me that is not super crazy expansive
RAM: HxperX 32GB DDR4 3200MHZ CL16 XMP RGB Predator (<- this one is cheaper for some reason) or HyperX 32GB kit 2666mhz ddr4 cl13 predator
PSU: Keeping my Seasonic Gold Plus 650W
Cooler will be stock on the start

I've got some questions -
  1. Would you recommend me to invest more into CPU or GPU?
  2. Is motherboard going to be compatible as it's older than new generation ryzen?
  3. is this motherboard worth it ? There's tons of motherboards and I don't really know the difference here
  4. Is my power supply enough?
  5. Is stock CPU going to be enough for autumn/winter? I will change it for better one before summer 2020.
I can invest about 1200€ but want some gaming chair (probably dxracer) and monitor too.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.

Solution
Literally no games that I know of benefit from having more than 16GB of RAM in 2019. : P I suspect it will likely be at least a couple years before more than 16GB provides any real benefit to gaming. If you're looking at hardware in this price range, you would probably be much better off putting that extra money toward something like graphics hardware. Also, 100 euros for 32GB of relatively fast RGB RAM? That seems a bit unlikely. Are you sure that's accurate?

Those "minimum requirements" for Cyberpunk listed at that site are completely fake. They simply listed the specs of a system that was used to show off the game at a trade show. That does not at all mean the game will require such hardware to run well. It will absolutely...
Aug 4, 2019
I personally have built a PC for cyberpunk 2077, including these specs for CPU, GPU, and RAM:
i5-9400F
GTX 1070
32GB Corsair Vengeance

Runs high in the test for cyberpunk 2077, spent 100$ more on a new gpu from CPU to GPU. The CPU I bought is 145$ new, and 1070 is 245$ new.

My recommendation is to buy a pretty good cpu, preferably an i5 8-9th gen or i7 6-9th gen, and a 1070 gpu+

Literally no games that I know of benefit from having more than 16GB of RAM in 2019. : P I suspect it will likely be at least a couple years before more than 16GB provides any real benefit to gaming. If you're looking at hardware in this price range, you would probably be much better off putting that extra money toward something like graphics hardware. Also, 100 euros for 32GB of relatively fast RGB RAM? That seems a bit unlikely. Are you sure that's accurate?

Those "minimum requirements" for Cyberpunk listed at that site are completely fake. They simply listed the specs of a system that was used to show off the game at a trade show. That does not at all mean the game will require such hardware to run well. It will absolutely not "require" 1080 Ti-level hardware to run, or they wouldn't be able to sell many copies of the game. Keep in mind, its being released for the PS4 and Xbox One, which are 6 year old hardware at this point. As far as I know, no system requirements have been announced for Cyberpunk as of yet, and it's still more than 8 months away from release.

As for the title question, you should definitely spend more on graphics hardware than on the CPU. Something like a Ryzen 3600 would likely be a fine enough option. Note that the 3600 performs nearly the same as the 3600X, and while the X part does have a somewhat better stock cooler, that's probably not worth the added cost, since you can get a better aftermarket cooler for less.

Solution

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019

Those "minimum requirements" for Cyberpunk listed at that site are completely fake. They simply listed the specs of a system that was used to show off the game at a trade show. That does not at all mean the game will require such hardware to run well. It will absolutely not "require" 1080 Ti-level hardware to run, or they wouldn't be able to sell many copies of the game. Keep in mind, its being released for the PS4 and Xbox One, which are 6 year old hardware at this point. As far as I know, no system requirements have been announced for Cyberpunk as of yet, and it's still more than 8 months away from release.

As for the title question, you should definitely spend more on graphics hardware than on the CPU. Something like a Ryzen 3600 would likely be a fine enough option. Note that the 3600 performs nearly the same as the 3600X, and while the X part does have a somewhat better stock cooler, that's probably not worth the added cost, since you can get a better aftermarket cooler for less.

What about that ryzen 5 3600 vs 7 3700? Should I go for ryzen 5 or 7 , current gen or previous gen?? Is there a lot of difference between 2600 and 3600 regarding the technologies and performance ?

Regarding the RAM - I want that 32gb for multitasking/ video rendering / livestreaming. It's not just a gaming PC.. today's web browsers and webpages particular eat so much RAM.. and I don't want to buy ram again when i find out i don't have enough cus it is always ideal to buy all RAM at once.

Regarding that C77 system requirements - exactly.. there was a guy who estimated what the final requirements will be and it was like: maximum 1660Ti OC.. There will be ray tracing but I don't think I'll ever needed.. to get full of RTX you need to buy 2080 or some other proper one..

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
For C77 everything you read or we say is a guess. Until the game launches and we see real benchmarks it’s impossible to predict how it will perform on different hardware. I know this doesn’t help you but it’s the truth of the matter.
Yes but we all can say with 100% assurance that the 1080ti minimum spec is <removed> . It was in 2018 but the game will get so much more optimized it will run on any potato. Same with witcher 3 - hell i would run it on my friend's 1gb card.

Language removed by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
I personally have built a PC for cyberpunk 2077, including these specs for CPU, GPU, and RAM:
i5-9400F
GTX 1070
32GB Corsair Vengeance

Runs high in the test for cyberpunk 2077, spent 100$ more on a new gpu from CPU to GPU. The CPU I bought is 145$ new, and 1070 is 245$ new.

My recommendation is to buy a pretty good cpu, preferably an i5 8-9th gen or i7 6-9th gen, and a 1070 gpu+
I'm not buying Intel anymore.. I want to try AMD as it's new meta for gaming now.
Regarding the GPU:
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/4037vs3609
This speaks for itself. 1660Ti performs almost the same as 1070 but is like 1/3 cheaper.. For me absolute winner. And the RAM is something i am thinking about.. with AMD i should probably go for higher frequency (~3200mhz).

hunterczech

Reputable
May 29, 2019
After checking intel CPU's I found out that Intel is fighting back the AMD with I5-9600K which seems pretty solid to me (6-core, 4,6ghz turbo boost without OC) for like 200€ which is quite low price for intel of this calibre. I'll probably go for that, as then I can just buy CL13 2666mhz RAM as intel CPU's don't neccessarily need 4000+ mhz RAM. And because it's six core - the four cores get utilized by games and rest can go for streaming / browsing / watching streams etc... So the final setup will be :

SSD Kingston A400 960GB 7nm
Data: WD Blue 2TB
WD Blue 1TB
External WD 320GB

Case SilentiumPC Signum SG1X TG RGB
HyperX 32GB KIT 2666mhz DDR4 CL13
Gainward Geforce RTX 2060 6GB Ghost OC
MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK
Seasonic 80Plus Gold 650W
Six Core Intel I5-9600K
Kraken NZXT X62
+
ARCTIC MX-2 2019 Thermal Compound (Heat Paste)
========
~ 1200€

Any feedback on potentinal incompatibility/performance is welcomed as i am not a hardware expert :)
Thanks.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
With that budget I would go for something like:
R5 3600 (not really much fewer fps than 3700x in todays titles)
Radeon 5700xt (cant beat that price/performance. Thats where the money saved is going)
16 gb 3600 mhz cas 17 (you dont need 32gb for gaming)
Some solid b450 mobo