Building new PC with i7 7700k or wait for coffee lake?

Radelly

Honorable
Dec 12, 2015
As the title says im looking to build a new pc with an i7 7700k and gtx 1080ti to last me a few years. My question is should i wait for coffee lake or wont there be any big diffrence in gaming?

Solution
I wouldn't expect to see gains in gaming with Coffee Lake. Why? Right now the 7700k is the best CPU for gaming and outperforms 6, 8..cores in gaming. And I stress in gaming.

However, if you aren't in a rush...then wait and see. That way you won't have buyers remorse. We have some ideas of what to expect but not until we see reviewers results can we comment on the truth.

In the meantime look into case and think out what is best besides the cpu.

David119

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
i personaly would wait becouse when the coffe lake is out the 7700k will become a bit cheaper. and maybe the coffe lake i7 8700k will be a blast for gamers and at a reasonable price :)

I wouldn't expect to see gains in gaming with Coffee Lake. Why? Right now the 7700k is the best CPU for gaming and outperforms 6, 8..cores in gaming. And I stress in gaming.

However, if you aren't in a rush...then wait and see. That way you won't have buyers remorse. We have some ideas of what to expect but not until we see reviewers results can we comment on the truth.

In the meantime look into case and think out what is best besides the cpu.

Solution

DanielSpaending

Reputable
Mar 17, 2016
I think I would buy now. I just advised my brother to go ahead now instead of waiting. My rationale is, that when Coffee Lake hits the market, hten we will know more about where Nvidia is heading with Volta. At that point the question will be, should I go Pascal or wait for Volta... And so the cycle can continue for a long time.
Every month waiting for new hardware, is essentially a month without gaming. I would personally rather jump onboard now, and get something to game on, than waitning and hoping something better comes along.... Kinda like girls tbh ;)

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

Indeed at stock, the i7 7700k will out perform 6 cores and 8 cores processor, but If you compare i7 7700k 4.5Ghz vs i7 5820k @ 4.5Ghz or i7 5960x @ 4.5Ghz. The i7 5820k or i7 5960x @ 4.5Ghz will out perform i7 7700k heavily when it come to playing games, streaming twitch, skype, antivirus scanning in the background, and google chrome music streaming at the same time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GgDZKGA89I

You're right. If you do other things at the same time then other CPUs are better. But if you want gaming only then the 7700k is best. If I were to stream and game, at the same time, then I'd get a Ryzen 7 1700. But as OP said for gaming, I assume he/she only wants that and the 7700k is best. I think around 80% hit 5.0GHz with great cooling. 4.5GHz on a 7700k is stock. Only can go up from there.

SumTingW0ng

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

Yeah, but I heard a lot of i7 7700k suffer bad TIM like the i7 4790k:(.

@SumTingWong. (Love your name) That is true about the TIM but this isn't the first i7 with the TIM issue. However, the new i7, 7700k, is able to hit 5.0GHz much easier than past few i7s. Also, with more extreme cooling, people are hitting 5.2GHz. That hasn't happened since the Sandy Bridge CPUs.

TRENDING THREADS