Question Building new pc with same ssd

Foxis

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
Hello i have a question.
Main question is, can i build a new pc and only keeping ssd with windows and other programs and keeping gpu? and how?
i dont wanna buy new hdd either so can i just move the hdd to the new pc?

You can, but it's a bad idea. The current Windows installation is VERY likely to not work properly if you build a new system, with a new platform, that has an entirely different motherboard chipset and different storage controllers. Even if you install the proper drivers for the new platform, it very rarely turns out to not be problematic. Anytime you build a new system that uses a different motherboard chipset, CPU, etc., that are not the same as the current system (Replacing a faulty motherboard only for example) it is highly recommended that you do a clean install of Windows, which means reinstalling all your programs as well.

The amount of problems and effort you are likely to go through just to save a couple hours of installing the OS and applications simply isn't worth the trouble.

That doesn't mean you can still use the same SSD, but you will want to reinstall everything new with a clean install after building the new system.

You can try it without doing that, but the chances are very good that you will encounter problems. Almost always.

When you have the new system built, you will want to back up anything as far as pictures, documents, specific files from applications you use that are project backups etc., music, movies, anything that needs to be saved, but not the actual applications and programs themselves as those will need to be reinstalled after installing windows, to another drive before you install a fresh copy of Windows on the SSD. It's always advisable to have AT LEAST two copies of anything you can't replace or that would make you cry if you lost it anyhow, so getting an additional device, whether that's an external hard drive, a large flash drive, optical DVD disks or Blu ray disks, whatever, would be a good idea as well.

Then, this is the procedure you will want to follow in order to do a clean install of Windows, assuming you will be using Windows 10. If you are on an older version of Windows, it would be advisable to upgrade to Windows 10 on your current system, now, and attach it to a microsoft account, so that you can then do a clean install on the new system.

Foxis

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
thank you, i did find a processor tho i can buy that isnt trash but thanks a lot i would probably just buy new mother board if i didnt know

Last edited by a moderator: