[SOLVED] Building New PC

shermanbuck

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Hi, I currently have the following custom build and am planning my next one to upgrade and want to know the best components for what I want. Also wondering what I can salvage from my current build. Current build:

Intel Core i7-2600K - 4.63 GHz
ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3
Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 SDRAM -32GB
Corsair H100 Hydro CPU Cooler
Corsair HX750 Platinum PSU
OS - Windows 7 64-bit
Samsung SSD 840 250 GB HD
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB HD

Monitor - Dell U2412M

Planned build:
Intel Core i9-9900KS
M.2 - I'd like to have at least 2 if not 4; don't know much about M.2's. If you have more than one do they work as one unit?
If using M.2's do you need an SSD HDD as secondary? Can M.2's be used for secondary drive for storage?
Motherboard for M.2, USB 3.0 or better (no USB 2.0), integrated vid/audio with option to add vid/audio card later?
Need to upgrade to DD4 - Recommendations? I've had great luck with Corsair
Just bought Corsair HX750 - Will this work for this system?
Will Corsair H100 cooler work or do I need a better one?
Will Windows 7 work on new MB or upgrade to Windows 10?
Anything I may be overlooking?

Thanks ~ Sherman

Solution
Video/Audio/Adobe products (Acrobat, Photoshop, Bridge, Dreamweaver, etc)/Gaming/ Streaming video & music/MS Office. I multitask a lot and hate to wait!
Based on those requirements I would look at the Ryzen 3900X. While it isn't as fast as the 9900KS in gaming, anything that can use the extra cores will be far faster with the 3900X.
Hi, I currently have the following custom build and am planning my next one to upgrade and want to know the best components for what I want. Also wondering what I can salvage from my current build. Current build:

Intel Core i7-2600K - 4.63 GHz
ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3
Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 SDRAM -32GB
Corsair H100 Hydro CPU Cooler
Corsair HX750 Platinum PSU
OS - Windows 7 64-bit
Samsung SSD 840 250 GB HD
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB HD

Monitor - Dell U2412M

Planned build:
Intel Core i9-9900KS
M.2 - I'd like to have at least 2 if not 4; don't know much about M.2's. If you have more than one do they work as one unit?
If using M.2's do you need an SSD HDD as secondary? Can M.2's be used for secondary drive for storage?
Motherboard for M.2, USB 3.0 or better (no USB 2.0), integrated vid/audio with option to add vid/audio card later?
Need to upgrade to DD4 - Recommendations? I've had great luck with Corsair
Just bought Corsair HX750 - Will this work for this system?
Will Corsair H100 cooler work or do I need a better one?
Will Windows 7 work on new MB or upgrade to Windows 10?
Anything I may be overlooking?

Thanks ~ Sherman
A good starting point is what is your budget and use case? If you want to go with the 9900KS and no GPU that is quite odd as that CPU is $500 by itself and generally has people using it for gaming.

From your current build you can use the PSU and will be fine. You can use your current SSD for an OS/boot drive if you want. The cooler might still be ok depending on the age as parts wear out. You will need to go with Windows 10 for the new system. Win 7 goes out of support in 2 months anyways. M.2 is a form factor and while there are some motherboards that have 4, most will be running of the limited bandwidth from the motherboard instead of being directly piped into the CPU.

shermanbuck

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Thx, GPU/sound cards can come later, not wanting to spend money for them at the moment. My current CPU or cooler is not going to last forever, have had since 2012, so next step up is the i9-9900KS which I researched and want. Recommendations for coolers? What do you recommend for an ideal MB that would directly pipe to CPU? Like I said, no expert on M.2's at this point, was pricing new SSD's when I became aware of M.2's. Is 4 too many?

Thx

Thx, GPU/sound cards can come later, not wanting to spend money for them at the moment. My current CPU or cooler is not going to last forever, have had since 2012, so next step up is the i9-9900KS which I researched and want. Recommendations for coolers? What do you recommend for an ideal MB that would directly pipe to CPU? Like I said, no expert on M.2's at this point, was pricing new SSD's when I became aware of M.2's. Is 4 too many?

Thx
What is your budget?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KS 4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($524.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($208.25 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP EX920 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 1.92 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define S2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($140.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($188.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1516.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-21 15:03 EST-0500

Reactions: shermanbuck

g-unit1111

Titan

Thx

That would depend on how many SATA ports you have. Keep in mind that for every M2 drive that you use, two SATA ports get disabled. So if you're using two drives, then 4 ports would be disabled. And so on. Ideally you should get a board that has 8 SATA ports (or more), though a lot of current gen boards are coming with 6 or less these days.

shermanbuck

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Very good Grasshopper :) What that means for me is that I'll look at what's offered and decide if I want to spend the money for it, maybe even decided on another component above what is offered. It's the value of what I'm going to buy versus what will do the job effectively in support of the mission. Like I'm not willing to spend over a grand for a GPU. I'm not that addicted to winning.

Very good Grasshopper :) What that means for me is that I'll look at what's offered and decide if I want to spend the money for it, maybe even decided on another component above what is offered. It's the value of what I'm going to buy versus what will do the job effectively in support of the mission. Like I'm not willing to spend over a grand for a GPU. I'm not that addicted to winning.
What is your primary use for the computer?

shermanbuck

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
That would depend on how many SATA ports you have. Keep in mind that for every M2 drive that you use, two SATA ports get disabled. So if you're using two drives, then 4 ports would be disabled. And so on. Ideally you should get a board that has 8 SATA ports (or more), though a lot of current gen boards are coming with 6 or less these days.

Thanks for the post, I was just doing my system builder on PC Part Picker and listed this exact issue as a conflict. What MB' would have the most ports. I'm still reading up on this, and have more questions like m.2 sata vs m.2 pcie along with nvme. The articles sate the pcie nvme's have less bottle neck, but will these go in pcie slots and will they have the same effect of disabling sata ports?

shermanbuck

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
What do you plan to use this for?

You almost certainly don't need more than 2x NVMe drives, and generally 1x will suffice.
Have other drive types for other things.

Hardware is changing so fast, one can't keep up with all the possibilities and what's needed and not needed. Like any good consumer, one gets fascinated by the possibilities!!!

g-unit1111

Titan
Thanks for the post, I was just doing my system builder on PC Part Picker and listed this exact issue as a conflict. What MB' would have the most ports. I'm still reading up on this, and have more questions like m.2 sata vs m.2 pcie along with nvme. The articles sate the pcie nvme's have less bottle neck, but will these go in pcie slots and will they have the same effect of disabling sata ports?

That I'm not sure of. Most of the typical midrange boards like the ones you're looking at have around 6 SATA ports. Even the super high end boards like the Gigabyte Designare and the Asus Maximus XI only come with 6 SATA ports. The thing is though is that you would only need the extra SATA ports if you have things like extra drives or external CD drives being hooked up.

g-unit1111

Titan
Based on those requirements I would look at the Ryzen 3900X. While it isn't as fast as the 9900KS in gaming, anything that can use the extra cores will be far faster with the 3900X.

Yeah I agree the 3900X would be a better choice, or a 1st or 2nd gen TR4 (1950X or 2950WS). The 9900KS would be a great choice for gaming but definitely not a production rig.

shermanbuck

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
That I'm not sure of. Most of the typical midrange boards like the ones you're looking at have around 6 SATA ports. Even the super high end boards like the Gigabyte Designare and the Asus Maximus XI only come with 6 SATA ports. The thing is though is that you would only need the extra SATA ports if you have things like extra drives or external CD drives being hooked up.

Thx, my ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 has 6 SATA ports, which I've got an SSD, HDD, DVD, and DVD Blue Ray connected. If I were to have two M.2's, that would negate the last two ports correct?
Yeah I agree the 3900X would be a better choice, or a 1st or 2nd gen TR4 (1950X or 2950WS). The 9900KS would be a great choice for gaming but definitely not a production rig.

I'll look into it further ~ what would be an excellent overall motherboard with what I'm looking for. I don't have room for two computers, one for gaming and one for productivity, so am getting the best ideal one for both.

g-unit1111

Titan
Thx, my ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 has 6 SATA ports, which I've got an SSD, HDD, DVD, and DVD Blue Ray connected. If I were to have two M.2's, that would negate the last two ports correct?

No when you use a M2 it will take over the ports normally designated for primary drives - SATA-0 and SATA-1, then any subsequent M2 drives would take over ports 3-4 and 5-6.

I'll look into it further ~ what would be an excellent overall motherboard with what I'm looking for. I don't have room for two computers, one for gaming and one for productivity, so am getting the best ideal one for both.

Pretty much anything from Gigabyte, Asus, or Asrock. MSI also has a few decent X570 boards. But you definitely want to go with an X570 board.

For a 3900x build I'd do something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($537.48 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($150.48 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard ($326.00 @ Walmart)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($182.73 @ Amazon)
Storage: HP EX950 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($274.11 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($558.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($150.48 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($203.16 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2383.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-23 04:36 EST-0500