Building new rig and Need help deciding on CPU.

Schwag33

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Building new rig and Need help deciding on CPU.

Will be used for:
- fairly heavy downloading of large files
- gaming
- HTPC
- media server in home for approx 1-4 devices
- media server for occasional use by 1-3 external devices (smartphones,tablets)
- watching web streams

Already have all other parts picked out. Just cant decide on CPU....

- i5 3570k
-or-
-i7 3770k

I will also be doing an OC of around 4.5-4.7. I know the i5 can handle what i need it for, but im not sure if i should get the i7 to future proof a little. I probably wont build another rig for 5 yrs. ( will just update things like GPU if needed for games). Cost isnt a deciding factor...there is a $80 difference between the 2 CPUs and Im OK with paying the diff if its really better for my needs.

Any suggestions as to which CPU would be better for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

p.s. I DONT want to wait for next gen haswell

I'm going to throw something else out there. With multiple devices using bandwidth, make sure you are using quality network components. Your wireless router, for example, should be a dual-band wireless-N router. I used to use cheap $30-$60 routers myself, until I had the opportunity to test some better ones. I'll never buy a cheap one again if I can help it; I'm using one that I think retails for around $120 now, and the signal strength and quality are much better. The same goes for any wireless adapters. USB dongles are cheap and convenient, but they're also slow. Instead of $10-$15 PCI cards, get something at least in the $35 range. Those things will make a lot more difference for you than a faster CPU.

Schwag33

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

Thanks but im all set with my network. Dual band N and Gbit lan for everything else. really need info on cpu decision

Schwag33

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

Any reason I would benefit from i7? I dont mind spending the little extra but only if its worth it.

Schwag33

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Typical usage would be watching a 1080p movie on this PC while downloading large files in background. or Gaming and downloading large files. At same time acting as media server to 1-2 other devices. Will i5 be OK or better to go with i7?

Greatatlantic

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
i5 sounds fine. Both have 4 cores, but the i7 enables hyperthreading, which lets software see 8 "virtual cores." The core can't process information faster, but instead can do two tasks at once within its ceiling. Some links:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-hyper-threading-technology-your-questions-answered

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology-video.html

Obviously, no one knows what the future holds, but right now hyperthreading really won't benefit gaming. And downloading is not a processor intensive activity. That's not to say you will never encounter a situation where hyperthreading will be used and improve performance, it just doesn't seem like what you will use it for is worth the $100 or so difference.

8350rocks

Distinguished
If money is no object, then why not the i7-3930k?

If you plan to do some hardcore gaming, and do it for a while...the ps4 hardware is capable of running 96 threads simultaneously according to a discussion that gamasutra had with Mark Cerny (head of ps4 design team @ Sony).

The i7-3770k can run 36 threads simultaneously...12 of which are tapping resources from the other 24 threads because of HT.

Future games are going to be more heavily threaded than ever, you want all the muscle you can get for now.

My preference runs toward the 8 core FX8350...but to each their own.

Schwag33

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

Never said money was no object. Just said i dont mind paying the diff between the i5 and i7....."IF" its worth it.

Schwag33

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

thanks but Im going with either i5 or i7. trying to get info on only those 2 CPUs.