Build Advice Building new rig need help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maximuzzm

Reputable
BANNED
Nov 19, 2019
Please keep it to 1 thread.
Been working a lot of ot lately and was thinking of building a new computer with all the money, during Black Friday/cyber Monday. Im not really sure if now's a good time to invest in a new computer or not though. I really don't want to spend over $600 for everything either. I was just hoping to get some advice on whether I should wait or build a new PC this year I mean it will be Black Friday prices should be slashed pretty good.

What should I build? I know it's a tough question to answer given the fact nobody really knows what's going to be on sale. Any advice helps on what to build . I hear buy amd since it's cheaper. I'm probably going to need a new everything besides my operating system. I also have a GeForce 1050ti gpu I can maybe use but even that I was hoping to upgrade. Everything else I have in my computer is trash at this point.

Even advice on where I should buy the hardware from will be helpful.

What budget are you talking? If you’ve got a microcenter nearby you may stop in. I think they had a ryzen 3600 and board on offer for about 120 bucks. That combo would be 2-3 years old but compared to what you’ve got currently would be an amazing upgrade, even with 16gb ram that would be good. So if you are near one of those I’d stop in and talk to the guys there and see what they have. I know I was in my local one the other day and they have a a 512gb sata ssd for 19.99. Didn’t need one so didn’t buy, but at that price those are a steal.

I really only want to spend a few hundred during black friday / cyber monday but idk.
and yeah my rig was good but it definetly has run its course.

There's a big difference between say 300 and say 600.

What's your absolute top dollar?

And a big difference between needing 3 major parts (motherboard, CPU, and RAM) and needing 6 or more parts (those 3 plus case, cooler, power supply, drives, etc).

In all likelihood, you would need more than 3. I'd guess the drives and the case are the most likely to be carried over....unless the power supply is relatively new. Your CPU dates from at least 10 years ago and I'd certainly try to replace anything that old.

I would NOT count on Black Friday helping out in a big way.

Maximuzzm

Reputable
BANNED
Nov 19, 2019
Yeah im pretty sure I have a microcenter nearby.. and I have a 1tb ssd i forgot to mention. Ill stop in and see thanks for the advice. As for my budget I could drop a grand but I really dont feel like spending that much id rather just stick to a few hundred .. was thinking of upgrading to 1440p but id need a new monitor and everything so I think ill just stick to 1080p.... but idk well see what i can find on craigslist / ebay / black friday / cyber monday..... and as for black friday sales thats when i bought my 1050ti for 50% off....

I will say for me 1440p felt like a good upgrade. For example playing world of warships when you zoom onto your battleship and can see the rifling in the barrel. I was on 1080p and I’m glad I switched over. But that said if you are on a budget I’d look at an i5 12th gen and maybe a b660 board. At least 16gb of ram.

You mentioned having a 1tb ssd you could bring over. I think my local microcenter had 512gb ssd drives for 20, so I’d consider one of those for a boot drive and use the 1tb as a games/ storage drive.

You probably need a new psu. For 1080p gaming the lowest card I’d personally want to be on would be an rx 6600. If you think you’ll go 1440p later consider the rx 6700xt or above.

For boards and cpus you could check out the outgoing am4 stuff. But the Intel 12th gen will have a better upgrade path.