Hi guys,

I'm building a new system with the following components:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VI
CPU: Core i7 4770K
Graphics card: EVGA 780Ti (overclocked)
Memory: can't decide. G.Skill TridentX 4x4GB 2400MHz@CL10 or 2666MHz@CL11
SSD: Samsung Evo 840 Pro 512GB

I have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could help with:

- I may do CPU overclocking, but do not intend to do any WC'in at this time. Do I need a better than stock cooler? If so, which one would be the best? I'm looking for good cooler quality/performance and good airflow setup. Which would you recommend?

- For memory, do you think it's worth going for 2666MHz instead of 2400MHz? CL kind of dillutes the effect of frequency increase. Is G.Skill good or you'd recommend someone else, like Corsair (they have similar memory, with similar performance).

- Will there be any problems sticking in 4 modules at those high frequencies (2400 or 2666) into the MB or it should take them without any problems?

So, my main concerns here are about cooling, compatibility and memory performance.

Will appreciate any insight you could provide :)

Hi guys,

I'm building a new system with the following components:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero VI
CPU: Core i7 4770K
Graphics card: EVGA 780Ti (overclocked)
Memory: can't decide. G.Skill TridentX 4x4GB 2400MHz@CL10 or 2666MHz@CL11
SSD: Samsung Evo 840 Pro 512GB

I have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could help with:

- I may do CPU overclocking, but do not intend to do any WC'in at this time. Do I need a better than stock cooler? If so, which one would be the best? I'm looking for good cooler quality/performance and good airflow setup. Which would you recommend?

Do not plan on ANY OC'ing with the stock cooler! Get a good aftermarket cooler. The Noctua NH D14 is the best air cooler that money can buy. Highly recommended! http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/LGA-2011-i7-3960X-Air-Overclocking,3130.html

- For memory, do you think it's worth going for 2666MHz instead of 2400MHz? CL kind of dillutes the effect of frequency increase. Is G.Skill good or you'd recommend someone else, like Corsair (they have similar memory, with similar performance).

Increase in performance between 2400 and 2666 MHz will be minimal. Not worth it unless they are the same price. G.Skill is good stuff.

- Will there be any problems sticking in 4 modules at those high frequencies (2400 or 2666) into the MB or it should take them without any problems?

I would go with 2 - 8 GB sticks instead of 4 sticks of 4 GB for better performance and stability.

So, my main concerns here are about cooling, compatibility and memory performance.

Will appreciate any insight you could provide :)

Yogi

AINTD

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005

Thanks for answering!)

So, I will probably settle for 2400MHz memory, the price jump to 2666 is a bit too steep for the little performance gain.

I am a bit concerned about the custom cooler, such as Noctua ... would it fit into my case (Silverstone FT01)? Will it obstruct RAM or PCI-e slots? Do you know if Noctua in general fits in well?

It is a rather large cooler but it fits just fine in mt CM Elite 430 case which is a small mid-tower.

Yogi