Building new system....

G

I'm preparing to build my first computer in the next few weeks. Orignally I planned to wait for ddr-sdram but it's still expensive and my pII 333 has seen better days. I've just about got it narrowed down to what I want but but, I could always use your input. Here it goes....

T-Bird 1ghz
256mb pc133 sdram
Asus A7V
IBM DTLA 75 gxp 30gb
GeForce 2 gts
SB Live Value
CDRW from old box
DVD from old box

I'm looking for input on any of the items listed but I really need help finding a Case and Power Supply(nothing to fancy, in the $115 range).
Happy New Year!!
Brian

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
looks pretty good, just make sure you get good ram like crucial or mushkin.

and also think about the abit kt7 raid board, it's pretty solid too. i used to have the a7v and it was awesome, but i gave it to my parents and am thinking about ddr...hmmm....

don't know too much about cases though....

:)

G

I'm putting together a system right now that is almost identical to yours, except I'm going with the ABIT mobo. I'm using an Antec SX830 case which comes with a 300W PS (also avail. w/400W). It's a great case, very roomy, good cooling, high quality construction. It was about $80 (free shipping) at onvia.com

G

Thanks Guys,
I know this question should be in the mobo forum but could you enlighten me on the difference between the A7V and the ABIT kt7? Thanks Again
Brian

G

Abit KT7 has SoftMeny in their BIOS. This makes abit a more user-friendly mobo in terms of overclocking.

read about it at...
http://www2.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q3/000919/index.html

Asus is the performence leader but Abit is easier to ovclk. I also have a feeling that Abit is more stable than the A7V, couse I am seeing many post about problems with the A7V in diffrent forums like this one.

<b>Voodoo</b><i>Child</i> :cool:

G

I cannot believe you are dropping DDR PC2100?

I would rather sell my A7V+PC133 at some lost to get my hands on those DDR stuff like Asus A7M266+PC2100

Remember to get VIA686B south bridge instead of 686A, because support ATA100 and do not need Extra ATA_BIOS,

which Win2K does not recognise hence require additional floppy with ATA100 driver to boot Win2K to install etc.

if ATA100 is supported on originally chipset then you don't face thise annoying extra bit when installing Win2K

Unless you fancy using 8 IDE devices at ones

Best regards
cx5

G

Check out the ASUS and ABIT reviews, they'll be much more thorough in talking about their features than we could be here.

I don't think there's a lot of difference between the A7V and the KT7, but the KT7-RAID has 2 extra IDE channels for setting up RAID, which is basically 2 hard drives operating in parallel as one. Of course it costs like $20-30 more.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>I really need help finding a Case and Power Supply(nothing to fancy, in the $115 range).<
I'd look at Enlight 7237 w/300w PS for around $80. It has 4 ext. 5 1/2" bays, 2 ext. 3 1/2" bays and 1 hiden 3 1/2" bay, also included 1 case fan and has room for another one.

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just bought an Antec Midtower Case (Model KS282) with a 300-watt PS at Best Buy for $79. It's on the AMD Athlon-approved list. Great case for the money.

Good Luck with your system.