[SOLVED] Building New System

rwalden

Reputable
Sep 20, 2020
Hello, new guy here --

I usually build a new system every year, and I'm way overdue, so am having withdrawal pains. Would like some critique, advice on cooling or anything else you think of. So far, the system looks like this:
  • Motherboard - ASUS X-299-Deluxe, LGA2066
  • System Storage: Samsung 970 M.2 500GB, plus an additional 500GB M.2 for system backup. I run Win10Pro(64) Insider Preview, so I always back up my sytem drive
  • Other Storage - A 1TB SSD for data (I do not put data on system drives), plus 2 HDD's which contain my movies and music. (These will come from existing systems.)
  • Case - CoolerMaster N400 NSE-400, probably add extra fans,
  • Memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz -- I plan to steal this from current system, since I'm running 32GB there and I'm not sure why.
  • PSU -- EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W
I like to "overbuy" on capacities (just because I can, and I find comfort in it). I'm an old bachelor (widower), so I don't have to justify it to anybody, except my dog. He says there's stuff he does "just because he can," and I should follow his example when it comes to computers.

Currently undecided:
  • GPU -- I like EVGA products, but not wedded to them. I am not a Gamer (except chess), but I do some video editing
  • CPU -- Something on the high end of Intel CoreX I9 series, but not Extreme.
Question: For CPU cooling, I have never used anything other than air coolers. Is it time to consider liquid cooling?

When I'm done, I do a "Musical Chairs" routine with my computers, and the loser gets donated.

Your contributions will be appreciated. Any questions happily answered (assuming I know the answer).

Regards,
Russ Walden

Solution
I would go with something like a 10th gen Z490 platform instead. That gives you future PCI-E Gen 4 support, since you don't want to make the move to AMD now. For the non gamer, this is quite overkill.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K 3.6 GHz 10-Core Processor ($486.85 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC LIQUID FREEZER II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($291.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Storage:...

rwalden

Reputable
Sep 20, 2020
Ultraxion --

Platform -- I compared X299 with ASUS ROG models and decided on X299. I'm not ready to switch to AMD, or away from ASUS.

Budget -- I have deliberately avoided that precise question, but it needs to be "reasonable," whatever that means.

Thanks,
Russ Walden

logainofhades

Titan
I would go with something like a 10th gen Z490 platform instead. That gives you future PCI-E Gen 4 support, since you don't want to make the move to AMD now. For the non gamer, this is quite overkill.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K 3.6 GHz 10-Core Processor ($486.85 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC LIQUID FREEZER II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($291.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 GAMING Video Card ($749.99)
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($144.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $2237.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-21 14:52 EDT-0400

Reactions: tennis2
Solution

rwalden

Reputable
Sep 20, 2020
log
That's what the OP wanted. One for OS, and one for backup.
ScrewySquirl --

Win10 Insider Preview (which I run on two machines) can be fun sometimes. I always back up System disk before installing new version, and sometimes I need it. M.2 to M.2 is a very fast backup, using Casper10. My OS and apps fit very nicely on 512GB, and I never put data on the system drives., so no need for anything larger. Also, I use different M.2 drives so I can always tell which is which when selecting boot drive in BIOS.

Thanks,
Russ Walden

rwalden

Reputable
Sep 20, 2020
logainofhades --

Thank you for the very detailed reply. Now I have some work to do. Lesson learned: I should have linked my product selections in original post.

Easy stuff:
  • I avoided the HP500 case because I don't like the lights and I want two externally accessible DVD drives with no cords hanging down in front of them
  • I use different M.2 drives so I can always tell which is which when selecting boot drive in BIOS. I'll do that when I do the build.
  • CPU Cooler -- Thanks

Not so easy:
  • PSU -- don't see the distinction, but don't care that much
  • Motherboard, etc.: Need to do some homework.
  • GPU -- May be a little rich for my usage. Need to think about.

Thank you very much,
Russ Walden

rwalden

Reputable
Sep 20, 2020
$2000 system every year?

I'll buy your "old" one!
Tennis2 --

Well, yeah, sorta. I'm retired and computers are my "rainy day" hobby. The others all involve outside work. My Ladyfriend says I'm the only guy she knows who lives alone and has a 5-computer network: "main" system in living room, one in my shop, one in my office for when I sometimes work, one in the other office for her use when she's here (she owns her own company and sometimes works from here), and one on the workbench in my shop that I'm usually messing with. There's also a SurfacePro tablet, but I'm not counting it.

There is a "pecking order" to them, hence the "musical chairs" routine. Usually, one of my kids gets the castoff, which is usually an upgrade for them. It's pretty funny when the "old man" is the family's GoTo guy for computers.

Take care,
Russ